September 8th, 2012
· Fixed a regression introduced in 1.2 about raising an exception when not finding any files to uninstall in the current environment. Thanks for the fix, Marcus Smith.
What's new in pip 1.2:
September 4th, 2012
· Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
· Fixed issue #605 - pypi mirror support broken on some DNS responses. Thanks philwhin.
· Fixed issue #355 - pip uninstall removes files it didn't install. Thanks pjdelport.
· Fixed issues #493, #494, #440, and #573 related to improving support for the user installation scheme. Thanks Marcus Smith.
· Write failure log to temp file if default location is not writable. Thanks andreigc.
· Pull in submodules for git editable checkouts. Fixes #289 and #421. Thanks Hsiaoming Yang and Markus Hametner.
· Use a temporary directory as the default build location outside of a virtualenv. Fixes issues #339 and #381. Thanks TC01.
· Added support for specifying extras with local editables. Thanks Nick Stenning.
· Added --egg flag to request egg-style rather than flat installation. Refs issue #3. Thanks Kamal Bin Mustafa.
· Fixed issue #510 - prevent e.g. gmpy2-2.0.tar.gz from matching a request to pip install gmpy; sdist filename must begin with full project name followed by a dash. Thanks casevh for the report.
· Fixed issue #504 - allow package URLS to have querystrings. Thanks W. Trevor King.
· Fixed issue #58 - pip freeze now falls back to non-editable format rather than blowing up if it can't determine the origin repository of an editable. Thanks Rory McCann.
· Added a __main__.py file to enable python -m pip on Python versions that support it. Thanks Alexey Luchko.
· Fixed issue #487 - upgrade from VCS url of project that does exist on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
· Fixed issue #486 - fix upgrade from VCS url of project with no distribution on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
· Fixed issue #427 - clearer error message on a malformed VCS url. Thanks Thomas Fenzl.
· Added support for using any of the built in guaranteed algorithms in hashlib as a checksum hash.
· Fixed issue #321 - Raise an exception if current working directory can't be found or accessed.
· Fixed issue #82 - Removed special casing of the user directory and use the Python default instead.
· Fixed #436 - Only warn about version conflicts if there is actually one. This re-enables using ==dev in requirements files.
· Moved tests to be run on Travis CI: http://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip
· Added a better help formatter.
What's new in pip 1.1:
February 17th, 2012
· Fixed issue #326 - don't crash when a package's setup.py emits UTF-8 and then fails. Thanks Marc Abramowitz.
· Added --target option for installing directly to arbitrary directory. Thanks Stavros Korokithakis.
· Added support for authentication with Subversion repositories. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
· Fixed issue #315 - --download now downloads dependencies as well. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
· Errors from subprocesses will display the current working directory. Thanks Antti Kaihola.
· Fixed issue #369 - compatibility with Subversion 1.7. Thanks Qiangning Hong. Note that setuptools remains incompatible with Subversion 1.7; to get the benefits of pip's support you must use Distribute rather than setuptools.
· Fixed issue #57 - ignore py2app-generated OS X mpkg zip files in finder. Thanks Rene Dudfield.
· Fixed issue #182 - log to ~/Library/Logs/ by default on OS X framework installs. Thanks Dan Callahan for report and patch.
· Fixed issue #310 - understand version tags without minor version ("py3") in sdist filenames. Thanks Stuart Andrews for report and Olivier Girardot for patch.
· Fixed issue #7 - Pip now supports optionally installing setuptools "extras" dependencies; e.g. "pip install Paste[openid]". Thanks Matt Maker and Olivier Girardot.
· Fixed issue #391 - freeze no longer borks on requirements files with --index-url or --find-links. Thanks Herbert Pfennig.
· Fixed issue #288 - handle symlinks properly. Thanks lebedov for the patch.
· Fixed issue #49 - pip install -U no longer reinstalls the same versions of packages. Thanks iguananaut for the pull request.
· Removed -E option and PIP_RESPECT_VIRTUALENV; both use a restart-in-venv mechanism that's broken, and neither one is useful since every virtualenv now has pip inside it.
· Fixed issue #366 - pip throws IndexError when it calls scraped_rel_links
· Fixed issue #22 - pip search should set and return a userful shell status code
· Fixed issue #351 and #365 - added global --exists-action command line option to easier script file exists conflicts, e.g. from editable requirements from VCS that have a changed repo URL.
July 18th, 2011
· Fixed docs issues.
· Fixed issue #295 - Reinstall a package when using the install -I option
· Fixed issue #283 - Finds a Git tag pointing to same commit as origin/master
· Fixed issue #279 - Use absolute path for path to docs in setup.py
· Fixed issue #320 - Correctly handle exceptions on Python3.
· Fixed issue #314 - Correctly parse --editable lines in requirements files
May 2nd, 2011
· Start to use git-flow.
· Fixed issue #274 - find_command should not raise AttributeError
· Fixed issue #273 - respect Content-Disposition header. Thanks Bradley Ayers.
· Fixed issue #233 - pathext handling on Windows.
· Fixed issue #252 - svn+svn protocol.
· Fixed issue #44 - multiple CLI searches.
· Fixed issue #266 - current working directory when running setup.py clean.