September 26th, 2012
· Major changes to the plugin mechanism now allow out-of-process plugins full random access to the entire file.
· Most plugins have been rewritten to the new plugin API.
· The external (libextractor) API remains unchanged and compatible with 0.6.
· As part of the rewrite, many plugins were changed to use standard 3rd party libraries (libjpeg, libtiff, libgif, libtidy, and libmagic) for parsing.
· A new plugin based on gstreamer replaces many existing multimedia plugins.
· Automated test cases for (almost all) of the plugins were also written, and the documentation was updated.
November 29th, 2011
· This version adds support for Matroska, fixes some minor bugs (leaks on error-handling paths), and does some minor code clean up (fixing compiler warnings about dead code).
June 14th, 2010
· This release fixes various minor bugs and in particular adds handling for failures of malloc and the like.
January 14th, 2010
· This release breaks backwards compatibility in terms of the APIs. It adds support for out-of-process execution of plugins, improves binary meta data extraction, reduces the footprint (in terms of linking) of the main libextractor library, improves the quality and quantity of the meta data extracted by most of the plugins, drops some of the less-useful plugins (printable, hashing) and finally includes a complete and extensive user and developer manual. The Java binding was also updated to work with the new API, bindings for other languages are still pending.
February 21st, 2009
· This release fixes various minor bugs in various plugins and the build system.
· It uses libtool 2.x, which helps fix some issues with multiple threads loading and unloading certain plugins concurrently.
November 3rd, 2008
· This release adds support for the S3M, XM, and IT file formats.
· RPM support now requires librpm.
· Crashes in the OpenOffice and tiff plugins were fixed.