New in version 12.10 Beta 2
September 27th, 2012
- There is no longer a traditional CD-sized image, DVD or alternate image, but rather a single 800MB Ubuntu image that can be used from USB or DVD. Users who previously installed using LVM or full-disk encryption via the alternate CD will find that these installation targets are supported by the consolidated image in 12.10.
- Update Manager has been streamlined and renamed Software Updater. It also now checks for updates when launched.
- A new X.org stack has been introduced which includes xserver 1.13 candidate versions, mesa 9.0, and updated X libs and drivers. The new xserver provides improved multiseat support, better smooth scrolling, and a large variety of bug fixes. The proprietary -nvidia driver now supports the RANDR standard for monitor configuration.
- Compiz with GLES support landed, making unity-3d work again on the pandaboard.
- Unity was updated to version 6.4 including support for dash previews and coverflow view.
- Other notable updates include:
- Jockey has been deprecated in favor of a "Drivers" component in software-properties.
- Libreoffice was updated to 3.6.1 with built-in menubar & HUD support without needing a separate plugin.
- GNOME has been updated to 3.5.90 for most of the components.