New in version 0.8.2 Beta
December 17th, 2014
- The main highlights include the first release of Antartica, the new graphical engine (more on that later). We have basically added a completely new, shader-based rendering engine - only things like loading meshes and textures are still done by the original Irrlicht. As a result of the new features which are provided by our engine, we have many tracks with significantly improved visuals. The main highlight on this front is two new massive tracks. First of all "Cocoa Temple" that replaces the old "Jungle" track and "Gran Paradiso Island" that replace the old "Island" track.
- Another new feature is the addition of online accounts, as a prelude to networked multiplayer. Just to make it very clear: networked racing itself is not ready yet, but will be our main focus once the release is done. Your account allows you to connect achievements, stay in touch with your friends, etc.
- The new version includes many more new features - we still need to assemble the full list. But it includes different kart physics, based on this year's GSoC work, random Grand Prix, a Grand Prix editor and more.
- As has been mentioned above, SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 features Antartica, a totally new rendering engine, starting from the foundations of cand from GSOC 2013, and improved a lot by new team member vlj. The new engine features exciting new features like much improved rendering of lights and shadows.
- However, it is very important to note that this new engine uses at least OpenGL 3.1, whereas the previous STK version used very old OpenGL 1. This means that we are using many more advanced features of the opengl drivers, and as a result we have been suffering from various driver bugs already. During our development vlj did a marvelous job to work around most problems we have encountered so far. This is why your feedback is so important for us - we can't afford to get a set of different graphics cards to try to work around their specific problems. So we need as many people as possible to test this beta and provide feedback. We will provide some additional documentation about what you can try if this beta does not work as expected for you.
- Also, using newer opengl features means that unfortunately, older computers may not be able to run the game correctly - we use the HD 3000 as a minimal supported GPU. Obviously you should make sure to update your drivers to the latest available version and, on linux, prefer the proprietary driver to the open source one. That being said, don't panic! You can configure the graphical level in STK options, so if your computer cannot reach a good decent frame rate you can always reduce the graphical details, or the resolution.
- An additional note: since this is a beta we have not yet updated the credits, nor declared a string freeze for translations either. We still expect some minor changes to the strings before our release candidate. We are also looking for help creating binary packages for other platforms - especially a static linux package would be great.
New in version 0.8.1 (November 26th, 2013)
- New track 'STK Enterprise'
- Updated tracks 'Old Mine', 'Around the Lighthouse' and 'Zen Garden'
- New modes 'Soccer' and 'Egg Hunt'
- New karts 'Xue' and 'Sara'
- Updated 'Beastie' kart
- Wiimote support (for most Wiimotes; check supertuxkart.net/wiimote for instructions and compatibility)
- Added tutorial
- Added new 'SuperTux' difficulty
- New bubblegum shield defensive weapon
- New combined speedometer and nitro meter
- Added ability to filter add-ons
- Updated nitro models
- Added ability to save and resume Grand Prix
- Improved skid marks and particle effects
New in version 0.8.1 RC1 (November 18th, 2013)
- New track "STK Enterprise"
- Updated tracks "The Old Mines", "Lighthouse", "Zen Garden"
- New Soccer mode
- New Egg Hunt mode
- New karts Xue and Sara
- Updated Beastie kart
- Wiimote support
- Added tutorial
- Added new "SuperTux" difficulty
- New bubblegum shield weapon
- New speedometer and nitro meter
- Add ability to filter addons
- Updated nitro models
- Add ability to save and resume Grand Prix
- Improved skid marks and nitro effects
New in version 0.8 (December 11th, 2012)
- Story mode and new challenge set
- Improved AI
- Skidding and better collision physics
- Reverse mode
- New green valley track
- New Blackhill Mansion track
- Updated XR591 track
- Updated Fort Magma track
- Updated Jungle track
- Updated Sand track
- New music
- Updated menus
New in version 0.7.2 RC1 (July 11th, 2011)
- Added in-game addon manager ( see http://stkaddons.net/ )
- Fixed major memory leaks (STK will no longer saturate your memory after half a dozen races)
- New Snow Peak track by Samuncle
- Improved star track UFO by Rudy
- Show when you get a highscore
- Improve gamepad configuration under Windows (add ability to tell gamepads apart)
- Various other tweaks done and glitches fixed
New in version 0.7 (December 21st, 2010)
- This version is using irrlicht for graphics, and features animations for karts and tracks, a new GUI, many bugfixes, and new and improved tracks, karts, and items.
New in version 0.6.1a (February 28th, 2009)
- Bugfix: battle mode would not display track groups.
New in version 0.6.1 (February 18th, 2009)
- This version fixes some minor bugs of the 0.6 release, adds a new kart, a new battle map, and better support for addon packages.
- We also release a first addon package, which contains 7 additional karts and 6 additional tracks. Both packages can be found on our download page.
New in version 0.6 (January 22nd, 2009)
- New in version 0.6 of the fun kart racing game SuperTuxKart are
- improved physics and kart handling (including drifting and nitro speed boost), new
- powerups (plunger, bowling ball, cake, bubblegum), new and improved tracks (skyline,
- snow mountain, race track, space track, old mine, XR591), a new multi-player game
- mode (3-Strikes Battle with two special arenas), improved and new kart models with a
- better AI, fully positional audio with OpenAL, new music and sound effects (including
- engine, braking and skidding sounds) and much more.