New in version 0.7.0
February 2nd, 2012
- We feature a completely new chapter as our heroes move on to Youkai Mountain to encounter the Tengu while fending off the schemes of the Kodama Lords. It features new terrain to navigate and the return of some familiar characters. We also have a number of new portraits, map sprites, enemy battle sprites, and pieces of music. We have also made efforts to rebalance and tweak some of the characters, though that is an ongoing process.
New in version 0.6.1 (July 1st, 2011)
- This is a minor features release and update, but we have made a lot of progress in the last months. The biggest addition to this project is two new levels composing the first of the side missions. It centers on Alice Margatroid, and you'll be able to recruit her as a playable character in Chapter 2. We've added a larger variety of spells as well and sound effects for spell animations. The AI has also received a major upgrade in the form of smarter pathfinding. Additionally, dozens of bugs have been fixed in the new version over the past months. Finally, Jamuko brings us a new title screen.
New in version 0.6.0 (January 24th, 2011)
- In the past months, 0.6.0 has been under steady development. Much of the work has been on the game engine side, adding a lot of new features. After long delays, we've finally implemented a scripting system for bullet animations. The spell animations are now more like the spells used in the Touhou games. Also supported are pre-rendered animation sequences. Some other features will be transparent to players. We have switched over to using Pygame's internal sprite system for most of the work on the battle maps, which runs more smoothly because only portions of the screen are updated at a time. The second behind the scenes feature that we added is a reworking of the mission format to support more powerful scripting. Expect some of the future missions to have more complex scripting exhibited. On the content and gameplay side, there have been some major additions. Chief among them is a system of support spells that adds variety to the game. Reimu and Ran's roles are now more aligned towards supporting their allies with buffs and debuffs rather than directly attacking. A couple of map sprites have been added (Akyu, Keine, Mokou, Aya and Asa, by Nazerine). Sound effects have also been added and are in an experimental stage right now. We will be introducing sound effects throughout the rest of the game in the next release. We also hope to have new portraits in the next release.
New in version 0.5.1 (July 18th, 2010)
- 0.5.1 is a major maintenance and feature update. The battle system and its animation system have been restructured, though the effects will be transparent to the player (We now support animations during spell casting). New to the game is a complete overhaul of the treasure collection system. The goal of this is to give players greater incentive to seek out new items. The points system has been removed in place of getting rewards from Kourin through returning treasures. Some major balance tweaks have been performed on the missions including mostly a total redesign of CH2ST3. Playtesting found that that mission wasn't very fun, so we made the new objective to take on Miu. A lot of the story in that mission has also been redone to give the scenes more life. Additionaly, over a dozen bugs have been fixed. As far as art goes, we have added a new Wriggle sprite by Water and Wind. Support has also been added for cliff terrain, though it has not been put to use yet.
New in version 0.4.1 (November 8th, 2009)
- 0.4.1 represents a major under the hood update to the engine. There have been a number of small minor fixes throughout the engine. Please refer to the changelog (changelog.txt) for details. The biggest update is a new AI system that behaves a lot more intelligently than the old AI engine. It is still very much an experimental work in progress. Some features that the new AI system has is that it tries to select the best target and destination in each turn. Support for healing units is implemented but not used in-game. The old AI system just looked for the closest enemy. The new AI system is also able to go after Spirit Source Points as demonstrated in CH2ST1. As far as new content goes, some more dialog has been added to CH1ST4 - Onwards to the Village.
New in version 0.4.0 (August 20th, 2009)
- 0.4.0 wraps up most of the work for this project for the summer. We've had a really productive summer, and throughout the last few months, we've managed to add a lot to the gameplay. In this release, look forward to seeing the Spell Synthesis and Item Trading in action. We also added a new mission showcasing both an experimental status effects system and the Spirit Source Capture system as well as a couple of story scene events. We hope you enjoy this release!
New in version 0.3.1 (July 6th, 2009)
- 0.3.1 is an engine update where we added some new gameplay features. Chief among them are the item trading system that will be weaved into the story after Chapter 1 and the Trait Learning System that replaces having everyone start out with fixed traits. Some new art has come in including a Wriggle map sprite from Elcura and a song for the prologue scene from Damian. There are no new missions included in this release, but there have been revisions to the chapter 1 missions. We hope to soon start into developing Chapter 2 missions in the next version.