New in version 12.0 Beta
May 13th, 2013
- A new test release of MEPIS 12, version 11.9.86, is available for testing. It may take up to 24 hours for the ISOs to appear at the mirrors.
- After extensive experiments, and feedback from the community, it was decided to defer the support for EFI BIOS and GPT drives support. Unfortunately each hardware vendor is implementing the "standard" differently.
- This release is believed to be of Beta quality. Please report you test results at mepiscommunity.org
New in version 11.04 (May 6th, 2011)
- MEPIS has always been easy to install. 8 years ago, MEPIS created the first fully functional (what you see, is what you install) live CD and graphical installer. You only need to answer a few simple questions and within minutes you'll be ready to start using your new system. It doesn't get any simpler.
- Using your new system is a breeze too, since you'll have all the apps you'll need to get started, right out of the box. There's Libre Office for all your office productivity needs, K3B for CD and DVD authoring and burning, Kdenlive for video editing, Gimp for graphics editing, Digikam and Gwenview for your photos, the new Firefox 4 for web browsing, Dolphin for file management, the list goes on and on. No need to download app after app before your system is usable -- you can get started immediately.
- Making it your own is simple, too. The KDE4 desktop is endlessly configurable to match your personal preferences, and the additional software available from the Debian repositories assures you that the right tools for the job are at your fingertips with a few clicks in the Synaptic Package Manager. And don't forget the MEPIS Community Repos, a Community based repository of the latest and greatest applications and updates, specifically packaged by MEPIS power users for the benefit of all MEPIS users. They even take requests!
New in version 11.0 RC1 (March 29th, 2011)
- MEPIS 11.0 RC1 is build from a Debian Squeeze stable foundation with the following major differences: a MEPIS configured 184.108.40.206 kernel, NVIDIA driver 260.19.21, KDE 4.5.1, Firefox 4.0, Libreoffice 3.3.2, and the usual MEPIS tweaks that make it ready to use out-of-the-box.
New in version 11.0 Beta 1 (January 7th, 2011)
- This beta includes a 2.6.36 kernel. We are using an early Debianized build of KDE 4.5 but we're hoping the excellent Debian KDE Team will have a newer version available in the Debian pools before MEPIS 11.0 goes final.
- We were fortunate that Firefox 4.0b8 became available in time to be included in the Beta. That seemed to be an important addition, so 11.0 will be more compatible with HTML5 based web content.
New in version 11.0 Alpha 3 (November 22nd, 2010)
- 11.0 Alpha 3 contains changes that are hoped to fix CD boot problems that have been identified by the MEPIS Testers--or at least to provide a better test environment for identifying any remaining boot problems. It also addresses some library dependency issues that were present in Alpha 1 and 2
New in version 11.0 Alpha 2 (November 22nd, 2010)
- 11.0 continues to track with Debian Squeeze but with a 2.6.36 kernel. In this release, MEPIS has backported the Galbraith latency patch, which improves desktop performance.
- A number of bugs have been fixed which affected installation and booting from USB key. One of the fixes was to discontinue using gfxboot with isolinux, at least for the time being.
- For this release, isolinux has a new splash wallpaper. Users are encouraged to comment on the new wallpaper at the mepislovers.org forum site.
New in version 8.5.01 (March 31st, 2010)
- the Network Assistant, to configure and test a wired or wireless network
- the System Assistant, to create a live USB thumbdrive, repair a partition, etc.
- the User Assistant, to easily manage user accounts
- the X-Windows Assistant, to install graphics card drivers, set monitor models, etc.
- the Welcome Center, to guide the new user through the first steps
- the NDisWrapper Manager, to make it easy to use legacy drivers for wireless access
New in version 8.5 RC2 (March 5th, 2010)
- In the past week, we've fixed some bugs reported by the community and updated the MEPIS Assistants. And we've updated some packages containing bug fixes: digikam 1.1.0, ghostscript 8.71, kdebase-workspace 4.3.4-5 and wl-modules 220.127.116.11. The community is hard at work on translations, updated manual, and a couple of new utilities. I expect RC3 to be ready in a week or so. It should be the last RC before we go final with 8.5.
New in version 8.5 Beta 5 (February 17th, 2010)
- We are coming down the home stretch on the development of SimplyMEPIS version 8.5. There is some work to be done on MEPIS components, but the major packages are locked in to what may be their final versions. We've been asked to make more package updates, but we can't go much further without switching to a Debian Squeeze base.
- Currently, we have kernel 18.104.22.168, KDE 4.3.4, gtk 2.18.3-1, OpenOffice 3.1.1-12, Firefox 3.5.6-2, K3b 1.70.0-b1, Kdenlive 0.7.6, Synaptic 0.63.1, Gdebi 0.5.9, and bind9 9.6.1-P3. Available in the MEPIS pool, but not preloaded on the beta CD, we have Amarok 2.2.2-1, Shorewall 4.4.6, and quite a few updated specialty packages.