April 13th, 2013
· Some of you will hate me for this :) I've just released yet another Slax version. This one should fix the plasma task bar finally. If not, then I'll give up :) Anyway, if you do not like to download new Slax each two days, feel free to use 7.0.6 or 7.0.7 and just resize the taskbar manually to full screen width if you need.
· What is the problem with the plasma bar anyway? The root of the issue is in the way how the settings are stored for it. If a height is to be specified, which I need for slax, then a width must be specified as well. If a width is specified which is smaller than user's desktop size, it sometimes adapts the task bar to full width, but sometimes it doesn't. However I found out that if really big width is set, which is bigger than the screen, it adapts to actual screen width properly. So I set there 8000 pixels, in the hope that all Slax users will have smaller screen.
March 15th, 2013
· Upgraded Linux Kernel to version 3.8.2
· Upgraded KDE to version 4.10.1
· Fixed missing notification when module is activated or deactivated
· Upgraded all packages to reflect changes in Slackware-current
· Updated FireFox to 19.0.2
· Show date on taskbar under current time
· The device notifier in KDE is now hidden since it was showing on mad positions.
January 28th, 2013
· Slax 7.0.5 updates KDE to version 4.9.5 and FireFox 18.0.1, furthermore it provides new feature which lets you upload screenshot of any application to Slax website in order to assign it to a module of your choice.
January 16th, 2013
· added 'load=' and 'noload=' boot parameter support to filter loaded modules. The first parameter (load=) affects only modules from /slax/modules/ directory - if specified, only those modules matching the pattern are loaded. The other one (noload=) affects all modules, even the core ones. You can use regular expression pattern, for example noload=kde|devel|ffox
· better bootinst.sh compatibility with ubuntu and its clones, since those have different default shell which behaves a bit differently than I expected
· PXE now tries to get Slax data over TFTP (from the same server) if http connection to port 7529 fails, so you don't need to have a dedicated HTTP server running for PXE if you don't need the best performance (tftp is slow)
· fixed a bug which appeared when using from=... to load Slax from a path which included a directory with two letters, like /os/.
· fixed URL open in KDE (using %u in exec command in firefox.desktop), so clicking a link in pidgin for example opens it in firefox instead of downloading the URL by kde kioslave. Thanks to Manfred M. for the suggestion
· support for special files in Slax Bundles. Content of file /run/activate.sh gets executed on activate, content of /run/deactivate.sh gets executed on module deactivation. File attributes don't matter at all, so there is no need to set them executable.
· the autobuild system now adds a file /run/requires to all modules which require other modules. This file is used by 'slax activate' command to recognize and activate all dependencies automatically.
· even more improved X autodetection. Tries to fallback to modesetting driver if X -configure fails to produce a working xorg.conf file, and fallbacks to vesa driver if modesetting is not available.
· deactivation of Slax module now removes the module file, unless you deactivate it with the real filename as argument - then it is kept
· added unRAR support (compiled from official unrar sources)
· provide rightclick menu option to activate / deactivate Slax bundles in dolphin
· hide loop devices from showing in dolphin by udev rule
· buildscript now requires description, it is no longer optional
· fixed korean support (added missing font to korean module)
January 3rd, 2013
· added PDF file with Slax documentation
· added PXE server and client support
· added dnsmasq, added httpd support to busybox
· improved X autodetection by calling X -configure if default configuration fails
· added xev, a tool to list code of pressed key, so user can easily remap it with xmodmap
· bashrc file has been fixed to properly show current directory on command prompt
· fixed cleanup of 'slax' script (remove temporary files from /tmp using trap)
· fixed buildscipt checks to allow required bundles with + and _ characters in name
· fixed deb2sb (and deb2txz) script to support lzma-compressed DEB packages
· run kbuildsycoca4 on module activation to update KDE menu
· include mc.sh in bashrc so mc remembers last directory
· Big thanks to Manfred M. (http://www.fluxflux.net/) for suggestions!
December 27th, 2012
· I made some experiments with the firefox module which is inside Slax, and I forgot to delete 2MB of useless data inthere so the resulting Slax 7.0.1 is more than 1MB bigger than it should. No harm happens, the forgotten stuff has no side effects at all, it just shouldn't be there. I'm pushing out 7.0.2 right now. If you can live with the fact that the new version 7.0.1 you just downloaded has 1MB of unused data which wastes your precious disk space then there is no need for you to download 7.0.2 since it is the very same in all aspects as like 7.0.1 (minus the forgotten stuff). The new version will be ready in about two or three hours, and I'm not going for any release announcement this time (except of this blog post) since the change is rather cosmetic and doesn't affect functionality.
· I didn't notice that 7.0.1 was so big unless I saw that distrowatch listed the release with download link size 213MB - then I realized something has to be wrong, since the previous release was 212MB and I didn't add any big stuff at all. So thanks distrowatch for listing the actual download size :)
· I will also publish a diffmod, a Slax Bundle (module) with just the differences between 7.0 and 7.0.2 so everybody who has the older version can upgrade his/her Slax to newest version by just a very tiny download. I'll publish the links here when ready.
December 11th, 2012
· Slax 7.0 is the major update of Slax Linux live operating system. It includes newest Linux Kernel, KDE4 desktop, GCC compiler and lots of other stuff and that all in just a ~210MB download. Furthermore it's available in more than 50 localizations, so you can get a Slax that speaks your language.
December 6th, 2012
· Slax is now translated to more than 50 languages
· added 'slax' use like 'slax activate'
· avoid unwanted error warnings about missing devices
· bootinst script fixes and improvements
· added some firmware including radeon and some wifi drivers
· support from=/path/slax.iso boot parameter to load slax data from the given iso
· Firefox style improvements, Slax software Center
· added module tools such as sb2dir, deb2sb, txz2sb
· added development module. Total Slax size is now around 210MB (for 32bit)
· new wallpaper, hooray!
November 14th, 2012
· The boot installer script has been fixed and updated. One of the most common problem (as it seems to me) nowadays is the strange behavior of some automounting programs, such as udisks, which mount FAT filesystem with showexec parameter. Due to that, only files with windows extensions (BAT, COM, EXE) are treated as executable. To make it simpler, I managed to write bootinst.bat script so it executes in both Linux and Windows. This should make things easier.
· I've added ModemManager and related dependencies, including broadband provider info data, so it should be now easier to connect to the internet using a modem. This was heavily requested by the users, I didn't realize how many people use modem internet connection.
· KDE desktop was updated to the latest stable version 4.9.3.
· When Slax reboots or shuts down, it now automatically ejects CD (in case it was actually started from it), so the user can remove it before the actual shutdown. Busybox's eject command has probably no support for newer CDROM devices or the SATA interface, I don't really know. So I had to statically compile 'eject' command as external binary from sources, and this eject works just fine. If you're running Slax from USB drive then it doesn't (shouldn't!) eject any CD, of course :)
· Finally, some of the missing or broken dependencies were fixed, so Flash Player now works in FireFox (missing libcurl and libldap was added), KDE can mount Windows shares (missing libsmbclient was added), and FireFox is no longer missing libnotify.
November 7th, 2012
· Stylish metal casing
· Small form factor
· Easily attaches to your keys
· High durability
· Slax 7 preinstalled, ready to go
· PDF manual explaining Slax internals
· Device capacity 16GB
April 10th, 2009
· Added fake XDM to 002-xorg, so it will start Fluxbox if KDE is not present - this is mainly useful if you use 'build slax' and you only include Slax Core and Slax Xorg; upgraded to Slackware 'current' as of the latest changes before KDE 4 packages were added; added new wallpaper; fixed many Fluxbox-related bugs in order to make 'Slax Xorg' partly independent; now you can see (even in Fluxbox) accurate (preferred) screen resolution and it plays a start-up sound too.
December 13th, 2008
· upgraded to Slackware-12.2
· upgraded to Linux Kernel 220.127.116.11
· upgraded samba-stripped, added libcap
· fixed a bug in unsquashfs (lzm2dir) which happened on SMP machines
· removed bluez* packagess