January 23rd, 2013
· Contains two bug fixes for when running under a very recent Linux distribution, including one critical bug. Many translations have been updated.
June 26th, 2012
· Performance has been substantially improved when scanning a large number of files.
· You can now specify from where to download using command line options.
· Translations have been updated.
May 31st, 2012
· You can now use a month in text format to generate subfolders and filenames.
· Various minor bugfixes have been applied, and a variety of translations have been updated.
January 8th, 2012
· You can now download MTS video files and THM video thumbnail files, automatically rotate JPEG images, and extract Exif.CanonFi.FileNumber metadata. There is a new toolbar, showing the most commonly changed configuration options: where files will be transferred from, whether they will be copied or moved, and where they will be transferred to. Several bugs have been fixed, and translations have been updated.
October 2nd, 2011
· New features were added to specify in finer detail from where photos and videos should be downloaded from and where they should be backed up to. Nine bugs were fixed, a Danish translation was added, and many other translations were updated.
May 20th, 2011
· EXIF Artist and Copyright metadata options were added to file and subfolder name generation.
· Many translations were updated.
· Thumbnails are now always sorted by file modification time.
· The job code is now correctly requested after a preference change.
· A crash when trying to scan inaccessible files on a mounted camera was fixed.
· The startup test to check whether pynotify is working was relaxed.
April 29th, 2011
· Rapid Photo Downloader now sports a clean new user interface and runs a lot faster. How much faster? Rapid Photo Downloader now makes use of multi-core systems to download and backup photos and videos in the most efficient manner possible. It can download about 12.5x faster than Shotwell, or 2.5x faster than F-Spot (testing done with 2.2GB of Canon RAW files downloaded from a single memory card - it's even faster when you download from multiple cards at one time).
· No other program on Linux comes close to providing Rapid Photo Downloader's powerful yet user friendly file renaming and subfolder generation options.
· Whether you download thousands of photos every week, or your needs are more modest, Rapid Photo Downloader can make your photographic workflow more reliable and efficient. It is an essential tool for the discerning photographer.
April 21st, 2011
· Backups have been implemented.
· A preferences option for disabling thumbnail generation was added.
· A crash that occurred when downloading some files after having previously downloaded others in the same session was fixed.
· The Brazilian, Dutch, German, and Russian translations were updated.
April 11th, 2011
· This version adds: Job Code functionality; an eject device button for each unmountable device; display of remaining files to be downloaded in the progress bar; display of overall download progress in the lower progress bar; display of time remaining and download speed in the status bar; and system notification messages.
· New automation features: auto download, auto exit, and auto unmount.
· Bugfix: display file and subfolder naming warnings in error log.
· Updated Czech, French, and Russian translations.
April 5th, 2011
· An error log window was added to display download warnings and errors.
· A feature to synchronize RAW + JPEG sequence values was added.
· A bug where it was impossible to set subfolder and file rename preferences on Ubuntu 11.04 or Fedora 15 was fixed.
· The Brazilian, Dutch, French, German, and Spanish translations were updated.
March 31st, 2011
· Sample file names and subfolders are now displayed in the preferences dialog window.
· An option to add a unique identifier to a filename if a file with the same name already exists was added.
· Several minor bugs were fixed.
March 25th, 2011
· Rapid Photo Downloader is much faster and sports a new user interface. It is about 50 times faster in tasks like scanning photos and videos before the download. It also performs the actual downloads quicker. It will use multiple CPU cores if they are available.
· Rapid Photo Downloader now requires version 0.3.0 or newer of pyexiv2. It also requries Python Imaging (PIL) to run. It will only run on recent Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 10.04 or newer. It has been tested on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04, as well as Fedora 14. (There is currently an unusual bug adjusting some preferences when running Ubuntu 11.04. See bug #739021).
This is an alpha release because it is missing features that are present in version 0.3.5. Missing features include:
· System Notifications of download completion
· Job Codes
· Backups as you download
· Automation features, e.g. automatically start download at startup
· Error log window (currently you must check the command line for error output)
· Time remaining status messages
· Synchronize RAW + JPEG Sequence Numbers
· Add unique identifier to a filename if a file with the same name already exists
· Sample file names and subfolders are not displayed in the preferences window
· These missing features will be added in subsequent alpha and beta releases.
· Kaa-metadata is no longer required to download videos. However, if you want to use Frames Per Second or Codec metadata information in subfolder or video file names, you must ensure it is installed. This is no longer checked at program startup.
· Thanks go to Robert Park for refreshing the translations code.
January 2nd, 2011
· Enable zooming in and out of preview image.
· Extraneous white space is now more effectively stripped from serial number metadata and folder names.
· Fixed bug #685335: inaccurate description of python packages required for downloading videos.
· Added Croatian translation. Updated French, Norwegian Bokmal, Polish and Russian translations.
October 25th, 2010
· Added support for mod, tod and 3gp video files.
· Hachoir-metadata is now used to extract selected metadata from video files
· Fixed bug #640722: Added preliminary support for Samusung SRW files.
· Fixed bug #550883: Generation of subfolders and filenames using the time a download was started.
· Fixed bugs related to missing video download directory at program startup.
· Added command line option to output to the terminal information useful for debugging.
· Added Norwegian Bokmal and Portuguese translations. Updated Brazilian Portuguese, Dutch, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Slovak and Ukrainian translations.
September 13th, 2010
· This release adds a Norwegian Nynorsk translation.
· It updates the Chinese, Finnish, Hungarian, Dutch, Occitan (post 1500), Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Russian translations.
· It fixes crash on startup when checking for free space and the download folder does not exist.
August 13th, 2010
· The main window now works more effectively on tiny screens like netbooks.
· The amount of free space available on the filesystem where photos are to be downloaded is now displayed in the status bar.
· Added or updated many translations: Chinese (simplified), Bulgarian, Japanese, Occitan (post 1500), Persian, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Turkish have been added. Updated Finnish, French, Hungarian, Russian, Serbian and Spanish translations.
July 11th, 2010
· The major new feature of this release is the generation of previews before a download takes place. You can now select which photos and videos you wish to download.
· You can now assign different Job Codes to photos and videos in the same download. Simply select photos and videos, and from the main window choose a Job Code for them. You can select a new Job Code, or enter a new one (press Enter to apply it).
· The errors and warnings reported have been completely overhauled, and are now more concise.
June 6th, 2010
· Updated Spanish, Russian and Finnish translations.
· Display sample photo and video names in preferences dialog.
May 31st, 2010
· This release is the first to download videos.
January 23rd, 2010
· This release fixes bugs relating to handling problems with missing and/or read-only download directories, and better handles cases where the desktop notification system has bugs.
· When both the backup and "Delete images from image device upon download completion" options are selected, the program will only delete an image from the image device if it was both downloaded to the download folder and backed up. Previously, it did not check to ensure it was backed up correctly too.
· All users are recommended to update.
January 17th, 2010
· Photographers using RAW + JPEG mode now have the option to synchronize sequence numbers for matching pairs of images. The maximum sequence number length has been increased to seven digits. Serbian has been added, and all other translations have been updated.
January 6th, 2010
· Added auto delete feature. When enabled, upon the completion of a download, images that were successfully downloaded will be deleted from the image device they were downloaded from. Images that were not downloaded successfully will not be deleted.
· Added keyboard accelerators for Preferences and Help.
· Added Dutch translation by Alian J. Baudrez. Updated Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Slovak and Spanish translations.
December 8th, 2009
· New feature: when detection of portable storage devices is selected, the program will prompt you whether or not to download from each device it automatically detects. You can choose whether the program should remember the choice you make every time it runs.
· New feature: Added a "Job codes" option. Like the "text" option in image and subfolder name generation, this allows you to specify text that will be placed into the file and subfolder names. However, unlike the "text" option, which requires that the text be directly entered via the program preferences, when using the "Job code" option, the program will prompt for it each time a download begins.
November 23rd, 2009
· New feature: when detection of portable storage devices is selected, the program
· will prompt you whether or not to download from each device it automatically
· detects. You can choose whether the program should remember the choice you make
· every time it runs. This fixes bug #376020.
· Fixed bug #484432: error in adding job codes via the preferences dialog.
· Fixed bug #486886: Job code prompt can appear multiple times.
· Updated Hungarian and French translations.
November 15th, 2009
· A new feature is Job Codes, which you can read about here: http://damonlynch.net/rapid/documentation/#jobcode
· Czech, French, Hungarian, Slovak, and Swedish translations have been added. A variety of bugs have been fixed.
· This code is ready for full release, but given the magnitude of changes, a beta seems like a good idea, simply to catch any undetected bugs.
June 5th, 2009
· Updated Russian translation.
· Fix for a bug where the program would crash when using an automatically configured backup device and gvfs.
June 2nd, 2009
· This release adds Italian, German, Russian and Finnish translations by Marco Solari, Luca Reverberi, Martin Egger, Daniel Passler, Sergei Sedov and Mikko Ruohola. The Preferences Dialog window's usability is improved, and a Help button has been added that links to the newly completed online documentation.
May 27th, 2009
· Spanish translation by Jose Luis Navarro and Abel O'Rian.
· 2Bug fixes relating to preferences changes: changes to preferences are applied to downloads which have not yet started, and preference errors are now handled more effectively.
May 25th, 2009
· Added command line options for controlling verbosity, displaying which image file types are recognized, and printing the program version.
· Polish translation by Michal Predotka. Coming soon: French, German and Spanish translations.
· Minor fixes to logic that checks whether the Download button should be disabled or not. This should now be more reliable.
· The previous beta would sometimes crash when thumbnails could not be extracted from images. This has been fixed.
May 13th, 2009
· This beta adds experimental support for downloading directly from cameras -- it may not work with your camera. Read the release notes for more details.
· It also significantly improves program responsiveness when downloading from sources with thousands of images, like external hard drives.
· The "image number" component of image renaming is more robust. Now, only the series of digits at the end of a filename are recognized as the image number (obviously the file's extension is not included as being part of the filename in this case). This allows takes in account files from cameras like the Canon 1D series, which can have filenames like VD1D7574.CR2.
· Please note that while every effort has been made to test this new release, significant changes have been made to the program's code, possibly causing regressions or new bugs. Please report any bugs you might encounter.
May 2nd, 2009
· Added Stored and Downloads today sequence numbers.
· The stored sequence number is remembered each time the program is run. Downloads today tracks how many downloads are made on a given day. The time a day "starts" is set via a new preference value, day start. This is useful if you often photograph something late at night (e.g. concerts) and want a new day to "start" at 3am, for instance.
· The estimate of time remaining to download images is now much more accurate.
· Download speed in MB/s is now displayed in the status bar.
· Sequence number/letter selection in preferences is improved.
· Only allow one instance of the program to be run, and raise the existing window if it is run again. This is very useful when Rapid Photo Downloader is set to run automatically upon insertion of a memory card.
· The "exit at end of successful download" automation feature is added.
· When an image's download is skipped, the thumbnail is now lightened.
· A missing image icon is displayed if the thumbnail cannot be displayed for some reason. (See bug #369640 for why thumbnail images from certain RAW files are not displayed).
· Resize main window when an image device is inserted--it now expands to show each device that is inserted.
· A download cannot proceed if there is an error in the image rename or download subfolder preferences. Instead, a download error is indicated.
· Version 0.1.1 of pyexiv2 can now be used (an older version of the library code that is used to get information on the images, found in distributions like Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron).
April 6th, 2009
· Added serial number, shutter count and owner name metadata options, useful for image renaming and download folder creation.
March 31st, 2009
· Add YYYY-MM-DD and YY-MM-DD options in date time renaming, suggested by Andreas F.X. Siegert and Paul Gear.
· Fix bug #352242 where image has no metadata.
· Handle images with corrupt metadata more gracefully.