New in version 2013.0 RC1.1
March 9th, 2013
- Jam packed with 3.7.5 kernel (pax hardened for 64 bit users) and built with a fully hardened toolchain (did someone say wireshark exploit?). Time may have been passing, but we here at Pentoo have been anything but idle (you can check the svn history). As usual, we have the latest tools and toys for all the good little pen-testers. I simply couldn't list them all if I tried, so I'm not going to try. Everything has its usual amount of spit and polish on it, except the layers seem to be building up. This release comes with a shiny new installer with 200% more works! Automatic and manual modes for normal partitioning and booting now work properly, and the installer is very fast (you know, as fast as we can copy all that data to your hard drive).
- I could probably keep running my mouth but I know what you all want, the download link. This time we are going to use the official download site at http://www.pentoo.ch/download/ . You may notice a few exciting things related to this. First and foremost, torrents are back. I am now auto-generating a torrent file for every release and registering it with a tracker (kindly provided by Bitweasil of Cryptohaze fame) so you can all stop crying about downloading from the webserver I host on my 3g cell phone. For those of you who cannot use a torrent, the normal download is still available, plus some brand new (and old) mirrors are being activated for use. Syncing is going on as we speak (and our mirror over at Inerail is already seeding the torrent) and once mirrors are ready to go I'll add them to the download page and they will be available for future releases as well.
- We have some really big plans for you all in the near future, so download Pentoo, hack all the things, report all the bugs, and together we are going to have an awesome 2013. Thanks for your support, and have fun.
New in version 2012.0 Beta 3 (November 10th, 2012)
- Today we are releasing the 64 bit version of Beta3. I couldn't be happier with this release, but today is a little bittersweet for me. As one giant ball of awesome, the Pentoo Linux team really isn't accustomed to failure, but every single 32 bit build I've done has resulted in complete failure.
- Issues have ranged from horrifying and unexplained build failures, to building perfectly but being completely unbootable, through booting at 1983 speeds and every command simply returning "segfault".
- That said, for those of you that don't have computers from 2003 will LOVE the updates in beta3. The installer has been reworked so that it, ahem, works. Additionally a number of tweaks to improve updating and system customization have been made. We have shiny new wifi drivers, shiny new video card drivers, and all your favorite password crackers updated and ready to rock out.
- I've already begun picking up the pieces of my shattered 32 bit build and I promise all you people who got suckered into buying eeepcs that I have not given up. Pentoo Linux does work fine on 32 bit (we have a number of users doing it now) but there is something wrong with the building of the iso that I will have to work out.
- We at Pentoo Linux are very proud of this work, we hope that you enjoy using it as much as we did making it.
New in version 2012.0 Beta 2 (September 7th, 2012)
- I've used my freetime to polish up all the bug reports from our Defcon Beta release and kick out a shiny new release. Many surprises await you, but I'm not building up a bugfix beta more than I already have.
New in version 2012.0 Beta (July 31st, 2012)
- Yesterday at Defcon I was able to finally complete building of our brand new beta. I now present to you, the best pen-testing distro I was able to whip out in 3 days of heavy drinking and partying while walking around with my laptop all of defcon constantly looking for a source of power to keep compile going. This iso has had nearly no QA at all, but I can promise it will rock your socks. Please check the blog (look right) for further details. (still 64 bit only for now, sorry)