New in version 2014_11_19
November 20th, 2014
- The long awaited WxFixBoot by Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty has been release as stable and is now part of Parted Magic. This program is very similar to the well known Boot_Repair program for Ubuntu.
- Webcams are now supported with the addition of Guvcview.
- Guymager, Foremost, lastpass, and cdw have been added.
- The kernel has been updated to linux-3.17.3.
- Upgraded programs include: bash-4.3.030, ffmpeg-2.1.5, gsl-1.16, lame-3.99.5, libburn-1.3.8, libisoburn-1.3.8, libisofs-1.3.8, mozilla-firefox-33.1.1, SDL2-2.0.3, xfburn-0.5.2, clamav-0.98.4, gparted-0.20.0, libfm-1.2.3, mesa-10.2.9, openssh-6.7p1, openssl-1.0.1j, pcmanfm-1.2.3, util-linux-2.25.2, hdparm-9.45, libdrm-2.4.58, libewf-20140608, xf86-video-ati-7.5.0, xfsprogs-3.1.11.
New in version 2014_08_14 (September 3rd, 2014)
- GParted has been upgraded to version 0.19.1
- The Linux kernel has been upgraded to 3.15.9
- Firefox has been updated to 31.0
- smartmontools has been updated to 6.3
New in version 2014_06_10 (June 11th, 2014)
- GParted has been upgraded to version 0.19.0
- The Linux kernel has been upgraded to 3.14.4
- Firefox has been updated to 29.0.1
- OpenSSL was upgraded to 1.0.1h
- The "Sleep" button in the secure erase program now automatically wakes the computer after 5 seconds. Most people will no longer have to tap the power button.
- Improved support for ATI video cards.
- Fixed a few rare bugs in the Parted Magic Mount program. NTFS file systems that were improperly unmounted, now mount. On some machines the window manager would crash the mount program when the window size was set to zero.
- Other package upgrades: libdrm-2.4.54, clamav-0.98.3, eudev-20140510, xf86-input-evdev-2.9.0, xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.6, libevdev-1.2.1, e2fsprogs-1.42.10, libxslt-1.1.28, libxml2-2.9.1, gparted-badsectors-0.19.0.
New in version 2014_04_28 (April 29th, 2014)
- This version of Parted Magic offers upgrades of key software and few new additions. The PXE version is now included with the other downloads!
- Clonezilla has been upgraded to 3.9.49 and Partclone 0.2.70, and drbl 2.8.6.
- The Linux kernel has been upgraded to 3.14.2 and kernel-firmware-20140415git.
- A rare crash with Gsmartcontrol on some SSDs has been fixed.
- NTFS-3G has been upgraded 2014.2.15.
- Openssl has been upgraded to 1.0.1g.
- Other package upgrades: xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.4, usbutils-007, qt4-fsarchiver-0.6.17, gptfdisk-0.8.10, fsarchiver-0.6.19, flashrom-0.9.7, dar-2.4.12, openssh-6.6p1, clamtk-5.05, bonnie++-1.97.1, xf86-video-vmware-13.0.2, xf86-video-ast-0.99.9, nwipe-0.15, mozilla-firefox-28.0, xorg-server-1.15.1, kmod-17, Mesa-10.0.5, gsmartcontrol-0.8.8.
- New additions include: dstat-0.7.2, iperf-2.0.5, read-edid-3.0.1, and ddrutility-2.3.
- A really cool new feature has been added to the Secure Erase program for people erasing a large number of disks. In the "PMagic Secure Erase" drop down menu there is a "Select all Devices" toggle. So, if you need to erase 50 disks, you longer need to check all the boxes.
New in version 2014_02_26 (March 3rd, 2014)
- Clonezilla has been updated to same version used in the stable release of Clonezilla Live. We were looking for our January donation and we picked the Clonezilla project. The $500 donation also included a once over by Steven Shiau to insure Parted Magic has a nearly flawless build. This release has also cloned Windows 8.1 without any major issues. Make sure you boot in uEFI mode from the GRUB2 menu to ensure the Windows uEFI boot loader is properly installed.
- GParted 0.18.0! This release of GParted has mostly bug fixes with a few new features and I have to say it works pretty darn good. The GParted project received our February donation of $500.
- The Xorg Server has been updated to 1.15.0. Of coarse this resulted in a complete rebuilt of the Xorg installation.
- Firefox has been updated to version 27.0.1.
- After a few years of waiting, we get a new version of chntpw. We have tested it on many Windows 8 systems and in every case the password was successfully changed.
- Ddrescue-gui was updated to version 1.3.
- This version of Parted Magic is built on top of the Linux 3.13.4 kernel.
- After some careful testing we were finally able to upgrade to gsmartcontrol-0.8.6 and smartmontools-6.2. Lots of requests for this upgrade over the past month.
- The bogus messages that were displayed before the uEFI menu are now gone.
New in version 2014_01_04 (January 5th, 2014)
- This version of Parted Magic updates many programs, introduces a few news one, and adds a new module system.
- The most notable program updates include Linux 3.12.6, ClamTK 5.01, File Roller 3.10.0, Mozilla Firefox 26.0, and GParted 0.17.0.
- A few programs where added. These include: Gpointing Device Settings, Rdiff Backup, Wimlib, PCRegEdit, and a ton of new perl modules for the ClamTK upgrade.
- We have come up with a new module system that drastically reduces the amount of RAM needed to use extra programs. In the past we used .txz and .deb packages that were placed in pmagic/pmodules on the CD or USB. Make no mistake, these STILL work. The new module system works exactly like the old system. You simply place our new .sqfm packages into the pmagic/pmodules folder and they merge into the exsisting Ram Disk without using the extra RAM needed in the uncompressed form. In the next few days we will be updating the docs and the forum to better explain this new system. For now you can use these "bundles" that we have created: http://beefdrapes.partedmagic.com/bundles/
- Updated Programs: btrfs-progs-20131228, e2fsprogs-1.42.9, cairo-1.12.16, kmod-16, wimlib-1.5.3, linux-3.12.6, mozilla-firefox-26.0, gparted-0.17.0, libfm-1.1.4, pixman-0.32.4, xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.2, xf86-video-mga-1.6.3, xorg-server-1.14.5, xf86-video-modesetting-0.8.1, lvm2-2.02.100, acpica-unix-20131115, samba-3.6.8, vmfs-tools_0.2.5, freerdp-20131115_ea18d2b, remmina-20131008_26b814a, xlockmore-5.43, libarchive-3.1.2, file-roller-3.10.0, glib2-2.38.2, libgphoto2-2.5.2, gtk+3-3.10.4, gphoto2-2.5.2, gvfs-1.18.3, gphotofs-0.5, atk-2.8.0, eudev-20131119, perl-html-parser-3.71, perl-5.18.1, perl-gtk2-1.248, perl-http-date-6.02, glib2-2.36.4, clamtk-5.01, kernel-firmware-20131113git, openssl-1.0.1e, libwww-perl-6.05, perl-Mozilla-CA-20130114, gtk+2-2.24.20, perl-http-message-6.06, perl-glib-1.302, sleuthkit-4.1.0, dosfstools-3.0.24, openssh-6.4p1, pango-1.34.1
- Added Programs: gpointing-device-settings-1.5.1, libgpds-1.5.1, librsync-0.9.7, rdiff-backup-1.2.8, pcregedit-2.0, aalib-1.4rc5, libcaca-0.99, taglib-1.8, taglib-extras-1.0.1, libvncserver-0.9.9, perl-LWP-Protocol-https-6.03, perl-IO-Socket-SSL-1.953, libewf-20130416, perl-Net-LibIDN-0.12, locale-gettext-1.05, perl-lwp-mediatypes-6.02, afflib-3.7.1, perl-IO-HTML-0.04, Crypt-SSLeay-0.64, perl-Text-CSV_XS-0.91, Net-SSLeay-1.55, perl-net-http-6.06, libjson-perl-2.61
New in version 2013_09_26 (September 27th, 2013)
- This version of Parted Magic includes a new GUI for Secure Erase, a GUI for DDRescue, it now boots normally on Windows 8 machines with Secure Boot enabled, a completely new layout for the panel menu, and many updated programs.
- The new Parted Magic Secure Erase GUI has been the main focus over the past few months and it very well may be the easiest to use and most powerful ATA Secure Erase program on the planet. Go to the Secure Erase page for screenshots.
- There is also a very nice GUI for DDRescue written by Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty. We have been working with Hamish to make sure this program works well in Parted Magic. Very cool program.
- That's right, you no longer need to disable Secure Boot on Windows 8 machines to use Parted Magic.
- New programs! ddrutility and mprime.
- Updated programs: xorg-server-1.14.3, xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3, linux-3.10.12, bonnie++-1.03e, mozilla-firefox-24.0, gparted-0.16.2, hardinfo-20130925.
- New Panel Menu layout
New in version 2013_09_07 (September 9th, 2013)
- All new Secure Erase GUI!!!11!
- I wouldn't be surprised if I spent 100+ hours on this over the past month. More needs to be done, but I hope it is safe to use in it's current state. If all is well, I'll be able to start on translations soon.
- ddrescue-gui/ddrescue-gui-1.1-noarch-1_pmagic.txz: Added.
- ddrutility/ddrutility_1.6sh.zip: Added.
- glib2/glib2-2.36.4-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- gptfdisk/gptfdisk-0.8.7-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- kmod/kmod-15-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- lftp/lftp-4.4.9-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- linux/linux-3.10.10: Upgraded.
- mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-23.0.1-i486-1.txz: Upgraded.
- openbox/openbox-3.5.2-i486-2_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- reiserfsprogs/reiserfsprogs-3.6.24-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- x11vnc/x11vnc-0.9.12-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Added.
- x/xf86-video-ast/xf86-video-ast-0.98.0-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- x/xf86-video-intel/xf86-video-intel-2.21.15-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- x/xf86-video-neomagic/xf86-video-neomagic-1.2.8-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- yad/yad-0.22.1-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.
- zenity/zenity-3.8.0-i486-1_pmagic.txz: Upgraded.