April 8th, 2013
· KDE 4.10.1, Kernel 3.2.18-pclos2.bfs
· Latest full set of NVidia drivers; big thanks to TerryN!
· PCLOS410 theme; big thanks to Linuzoid
· QT-update-notifier; big thanks to muungwana
February 1st, 2013
· KDE 4.9.5, Kernel 3.2.18-pclos2.bfs
· Latest full set of NVidia drivers; big thanks to TerryN!
· Konsole with additional root-profile
· KDE 2013.02 has all the additions from MiniME above and was built to provide a general purpose KDE desktop computing environment. The DVD includes popular tools for office, audio, video, graphics, and Internet applications (LibreOffice, Gimp, Skype, TeamViewer, Dropbox, VirtualBox, etc.) as well as additional drivers and tools to setup your hardware (graphic card, network, printer, scanner, etc.).
June 28th, 2011
· Kernel – The kernel was updated to version 126.96.36.199. Additional kernels are available from our repositories such as a PAE kernel for computers with more than 4 gigs of memory. A BFS kernel for maximum desktop performance and a standard kernel with group scheduling enabled.
· Xorg - Xorg server was updated to version 1.10.2. Mesa updated to 7.10.3 and libdrm to version 2.4.26. This update brings enhancements to the PCLinuxOS desktop including speed, 3D desktop support for most Intel, Nvidia and AMD/ATi video cards, better font rendering, black screen fixes for most Nvidia cards, better Flash playback and more. The most recent versions of Nvidia and AMD/ATi video drivers are included on the LiveCD and automatically configured for you. The bad news is users with older legacy video cards included in most dated computers may not function properly due to many depreciated xorg video drivers.
· Toolchain – Gcc software compiler was updated to version 4.5.2 and glibc updated to 2.10.1. Locales were updated to version 2.12.1.
· Package Manager – RPM was updated to version 4.8.1. apt-get and the Synaptic Package Manager were also updated to work with the updated rpm packages. yum and yumex will be available in the coming weeks as an alternative package manager.
· Theme Update – The 2011 release received a full makeover. PCLinuxOS features a new brush metal theme including updates to grub, plymouth, kdm, kdesplash and application splash screens. Additional themes are available as well as our previous theme from our software repository.
· Theme screenshots located here: http://goo.gl/il3CG
· Remastering Tools – mylivecd was updated to work with the latest release. mylivecd added the ability to install PCLinuxOS from the boot menu without having to go to the desktop first. There are 3 compression schemes available now for remastering your installation. xz maximum compression, xz normal compression and gzip for fast compression. xz max takes longer to generate the LiveCD but produces the most compressed image where as gzip will create a LiveCD fairly quick but the compressed image will be larger. mylivecd can also generate a LiveDVD with up to 4 gigs of compressed data. Usually a 10-12 gig installation will compress into a 4 gig DVD.
· Software – PCLinuxOS 2011 LiveCD come with the latest versions of most popular programs such as KDE 4.6.4, Firefox 5.0, Thunderbird 3.1.11, Pidgin 2.9.0, VLC 1.10.0 and Clementine 0.7.1 just to name a few. OpenOffice Manager has been replaced with LibreOffice Manager. Due to the limited size of the LiveCD the office suite is not included but can be installed through the LibreOffice Manager either in LiveCD mode (3 gigs memory required) or preferably after hard drive installation. Addlocale has updated translations and can convert a PCLinuxOS installation into over 70 different languages. The software included on the LiveCD was based on community feedback as to what the PCLinuxOS users wanted to be included by default.
July 9th, 2010
· Kernel 188.8.131.52, KDE SC 4.4.5, Gnome 2.30.2 and updated LXDE desktop. PCLinuxOS includes all of the latest popular applications such as Firefox 3.6.6, Thunderbird 3.0.5, Dropbox , Pidgin 2.7.1, Ktorrent 4.0.1, Gimp 2.6.9, Digikam 1.3.0 , Amarok 2.3.1 and much much more.
May 5th, 2010
· PCLinuxOS 2010.1 KDE 4 Edition now available for download. Kernel updated to 184.108.40.206-bfs. Kernel-220.127.116.11 also available from our software repository, KDE SC Desktop upgraded to version 4.4.3. Added support for Realtek RTL8191SE/RTL8192SE WiFi cards. Added support for Microdia webcams. Added Vim console text editor. Added udftools. Fixed cdrom ejection when using the Copy to Ram feature. Fixed kde new widget download. Updated Nvidia (195.36.24) and Ati fglrx (8.723) drivers. Updated all supporting applications and libraries from the software repository which include security updates and bug fixes.
April 21st, 2010
· Kernel 18.104.22.168-bfs kernel for maximum desktop performance. Full KDE 4.4.2 Desktop. Nvidia and ATI fglrx driver support. Multimedia playback support for many popular formats. Wireless support for many network devices. Printer support for many local and networked printer devices. Addlocale allows you to convert PCLinuxOS into over 60 languages. GetOpenOffice can install Open Office supporting over 100 languages. MyLiveCD allows you to take a snapshot of your installation and burn it to a LiveCD/DVD. Parental Controls to keep your kids away from those naughty websites. Updated Control Center makes it easy to maintain and administer your installation. The LiveCD allows you to try out the Operating System before committing it to your computer. Once installed to your computer speed boot makes getting to your desktop faster than ever before. This is one fast 32-bit operating system for x86 computers.
· PCLinuxOS includes all of the latest popular applications such as Firefox 3.6.3, Thunderbird 3.0.4, Dropbox for online backup storage, Pidgin 2.6.6, Kymoney, Ktorrent, Gimp, Digikam, Amarok, Smplayer and much much more. In addition there are over 12,000+ additional packages available from our software repository.
· But wait there is more! In addition to our regular KDE 4 release we also have other desktops available such as PCLinuxOS Gnome featuring the Gnome 2.30.0 desktop., LXDE, XFCE and Enlightenment E-17 releases for older computers are also available. There is something available for everyone!
March 9th, 2010
· PCLinuxOS-2010.beta1 features 22.214.171.124 kernel utilizing the BFS scheduler for maximum desktop performance on i686 and up computers. This kernel supports up to 4 gigs of memory. A PAE kernel is available from the Synaptic Package Manager providing up to 64 gig of memory suppport. In addition ext4 support is also available.
· A nicely customized KDE 4.4.1 SC desktop that is both beautiful and very fast with the latest KDE applications. A unified KDE/GTK2 theme included to provide a consistent look and feel between KDE and GTK2 applications. Firefox also uses KDE dialogs.
· Reworked menu system with less subcategories to make it easy and fast to find your applications.
· mylivecd iso creation software. A major rewrite featuring intelligent hardware detection of cd device drivers. No more ide/sata probe options required. In addition the LiveCD now boots 50% faster than the previous PCLinuxOS release. CD should boot from most ide, sata and usb cdrom drives.
· Plymouth bootsplash available on installed system for cool graphic effects. Additional themes available from the software repository.
· Speedboot technology to get you to your desktop faster than ever.
· 3D desktop support via Compiz and Nvidia/ATI fglrx drivers on the LiveCD.
· Full multimedia support provided by Macromedia flash and various open source drivers. DVD playback software available from our non-free repository. CD/DVD burning software included on LiveCD.
· Printer support provided by the latest printer and gutenprint drivers included on LiveCD.
· Wireless support provided by the latest kernel and ndiswrapper drivers. Additional firmware included on LiveCD.
· Bluetooth support included on the LiveCD.
· Addlocale makes it easy to convert your installed system to the language of your choice. Over 60 languages available!
· GetOpenOffice allows you to install Open Office in the language of your choice. Over 100 languages available!
· A new unified KDE/Admin control center giving you access to your desktop configuration and administrative tools.
· Repository speed test – to help you find the fastest mirror to get additional software from the Synaptic Package Manager.
July 1st, 2009
· PCLinuxOS 2009.2 features KDE 3.5.10, Firefox 3.0.11, Thunderbird 126.96.36.199, Abiword, and much much more! 2.5 gig of software compressed into a cd. Special thanks goes to the PCLinuxOS beautification team for the new artwork for the desktop and the application splashes.
March 14th, 2009
· This release features kernel 188.8.131.52.tex3, KDE 3.5.10, Open Office 3.0, Firefox 3.0.7, Thunderbird 184.108.40.206, Ktorrent, Frostwire, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Compiz-Fusion 3D and much more. We decided to use kde3-5-10 as our default desktop as we could not achieve a similar functionality from kde4. We will however offer kde4 as an alternative desktop environment available from the repository once we stabilize it. PCLinuxOS is an rpm based distribution utilizing apt-get with a Synaptic Software Manager frontend. In addition to the above PCLinuxOS comes with mklivecd GUI, a nice utility to build a custom live CD from your install. Install or remove what you want then remaster your own cd. Great for backups or to give to friends. PCLinuxOS is also known as as rolling release distribution. What that means is you install once and update it when new applications become available from our repository.
· Special thanks goes out to gettinther, Sal, Linuxera, Neverstopdreaming, Davecs, gri6507, Stumpy842 and etjr. Also to Enki Consulting for hosting the website and ibilio.org for hosting the software packages.
February 8th, 2009
· This beta features kernel 220.127.116.11, KDE 3.5.10, OpenOffice.org 3.0, Firefox 3.0.5, Thunderbird 18.104.22.168, KTorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Compiz Fusion 3D and much more. We request that only our more experienced PCLinuxOS users test this beta release and report any issues with it in the forum provided specially for it. Testers are advised to install this beta into a separate partition for temporary use only. This and any subsequent betas are considered static installs and will not be upgradeable to the 2009 Final, so please don't install this with the idea of using it long-term as a work station.
December 5th, 2008
· The Ripper Gang is pleased to announce the second public beta ISO release of what will ultimately become PCLinuxOS 2009. This beta features Linux kernel 22.214.171.124, KDE 3.5.10, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, Firefox 3.0.4, Thunderbird 126.96.36.199, Frostwire, KTorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Compiz Fusion 3D and much more. We request that only our more experienced PCLinuxOS users test this beta release. Testers are advised to install this beta into a separate partition for temporary use only. This, and any subsequent beta ISO images are considered static installs and will not be upgradeable to the 2009 final, so please don't install this with the idea of using it long-term as a work station.
October 18th, 2008
· The Ripper Gang is pleased to announce the first public beta ISO release of what will ultimately become PCLinuxOS 2009. This beta ISO features kernel 188.8.131.52, KDE 3.5.10, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, Firefox 3.0.3, Thunderbird 184.108.40.206, FrostWire, KTorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Compiz Fusion 3D and much more. We decided to use KDE 3.5.10 as our default desktop as we could not achieve a similar functionality from KDE 4. We will however offer KDE 4 as an alternative desktop environment available from the repository once we stabilize it. We request that only our more experienced PCLinuxOS users test this beta release and report any issues with it in the forum provided specially for it.