New in version 2.4
May 3rd, 2015
- This release is about porting Minitube to the new YouTube APIs, version 3. The old ones are going to be switched off in a few weeks so everybody make sure to update.
- Minitube is now using HTTPS everywhere for better privacy and security. Also, Minitube now loads 50 results instead of 10 so finding the right video now requires even less clicking.
- The Windows and Mac version ship with LibVLC 2.2.0. This should solve playback issues reported by a few Windows users. On Ubuntu, the “Ambiance” style toolbar is now back.
New in version 2.3 (November 10th, 2014)
- Take video snapshots at full resolution
- Faster and more reliable seeking
- Faster video start with longer videos
- Slide transition in playlist navigation
- Make the volume handle red when volume is zero
- Enhancements to the search suggestions
- The Mac version is now 64bit and uses the VLC engine to play videos
- Fixed minor style issues with Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10
- Restored compatibility with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6
- The Windows version has been updated to the latest VLC
- The Ubuntu & Debian version is now shipped as a .deb on the site. Goodbye Ubuntu Software Center!
- New and updated translations
New in version 2.2 (July 30th, 2014)
- Subscriptions context menu: Unsubscribe, Mark as Watched
- Added –stop-after-this command line switch
- Added Stop After This Video Unity & Gnome 3 action
- Fixed painting errors when scrolling playlist on Linux
- Fixed bug with dragging playlist items from the thumbnail
- Fixed some videos not playing
- Updated translations
New in version 2.1.6 (February 10th, 2014)
- This release includes a fix for the playback of some YouTube videos.
- A minor change in Minitube’s Browse tab removes some so-called standard feeds like Most Shared, etc.
- As always updated translations are included thanks to the wonderful translators at Transifex.
New in version 2.1.5 (December 20th, 2013)
- Fix some videos not playing
- Show video title on hover when playlist is in minimode
- Lighter font for video title and description
New in version 2.1 (July 3rd, 2013)
- You can now subscribe to YouTube channels and be notified of new videos. This does not require a YouTube account. It’s all done by Minitube.
- This release also restores playback of VEVO videos that stopped working a few days ago.
- Other minor changes include:
- Move window by dragging from inside the video area
- Faster startup
- Optimizations and tweaks to the playlist
- Float on top icon was missing on Mac & Windows
- Compact mode window fixed aspect ratio on Mac
- Ubuntu notifications
- Fixed compact mode video cropped with very small window
- Fixed long words or URLs in the video description causing a window resize
- Fixed crash when resizing the playlist to a very small width
- Fixed skipping to the next video on Windows & Linux
- Starting with this version I’m distributing Minitube for Ubuntu directly on the Ubuntu Software Center, personally taking care of updates. This will hopefully allow for an easier to install and more up-to-date Minitube for Ubuntu users. Just wait a few days until the package is reviewed by the USC people, then uninstall the outdated minitube package and install minitube-ubuntu.
New in version 2.0 (February 4th, 2013)
- YouTube categories and “standard feeds”: “Most Popular”, “Featured”, etc
- Country selection for YouTube categories and feeds
- Autoupdate on Mac and Windows
- Related videos
- Related videos are now appended when pasting a YouTube link
- Bigger and nicer 16:9 thumbnails
- “Show 10 More” with a single click
- Play video in the playlist with a single click on its thumbnail
- Disk cache for video thumbnails
- OS X Notification Center notifications on video start
- Ubuntu Ambiance theme integration
- Fixed some YouTube links not working when pasted in the searchbox
- Fixed playlist drag’n'drop
- Fixed system language settings detection
- Fixed clicking on channel names not working in some cases
- Fixed incorrect number of downloads in status bar
- Fixed looping video with Phonon VLC backend on Linux
- New and updated translations
New in version 1.7.1 (March 20th, 2012)
- This version fixes searching YouTube video IDs containing the “-” sign.
- It fixes the search auto-completion popup appearing when not needed.
- It fixes temporary files not being deleted on Windows.
- It fixes quitting from the Dock on the Mac.
- It fixes a bug preventing system shutdown on the Mac.
- It fixes the search box selecting text while typing and losing focus on the ESC key on the Mac.
- On the Mac, “Quit” and other application menu items are now correctly localized.
New in version 1.4.3 (May 16th, 2011)
- This bug fix release finally fixes some videos not starting, especially in languages different than English.
New in version 1.4.2 (April 18th, 2011)
- This version addresses a bug with some videos not playing, especially longer ones.
- Also full length videos now start playing much faster. 1.4.2 also fixes some invalid download filenames on Windows.
- A brand new Albanian translation is included.
New in version 1.4.1 (March 17th, 2011)
- Many new and updated translations were added.
- A bug occurring in multiscreen setups was fixed.
- A bug with videos not auto-advancing when using the Xine Phonon backend on Linux was fixed.
New in version 1.4 (February 9th, 2011)
- This version adds YouTube channel support, fixes playback issues, and adds CLI support.
New in version 1.3 (December 28th, 2010)
- This release sports a shiny new icon designed by David Nel.
- The way video playback works had to be radically changed to cope with YouTube changes.
New in version 1.2 (October 12th, 2010)
- Ability to download videos
- Support for media keys on GNOME
- More style, especially on the Mac
- Fixed crash when trying delete or move the the las playlist item
New in version 1.1 (July 28th, 2010)
- Apparently YouTube changed something and broke many applications including Minitube. So here is a new working release! This release brings minor visual enhancements, various bug fixes and a new Chinese translation. Thanks to Levente Polyak, Zvonimir Đeri and Changtai Liang for contributing to this release.
New in version 0.9 (January 23rd, 2010)
- Ability to clear recent keywords (by popular demand!)
- Show the toolbar when mouse hits the top of the screen in Fullscreen mode (Linux only)
- Show the playlist when mouse hits the left side of the screen in Fullscreen mode (Linux only)
- Fixed toolbar search suggestions working just once (Thanks to Salvatore Benedetto)
- Fixed toobar search incorrect handling of keys that also represent a shortcut (like Escape or Space)
- Fixed time formatting bug with videos longer than an hour (Thanks to Rene Bogusch)
- Fixed long queries in the recent keywords list (Thanks to Vadim P.)
- Norwegian translation by Jan W. Skjoldal
New in version 0.8.1 (November 23rd, 2009)
- Unfortunately a critical bug popped up in the 0.8 release. When HD mode is enabled, non-HD videos fail to play. A “Network error” is reported and Minitube skips to the next video. It’s not 100% clear to me what triggered the bug, anyway it should be fixed in 0.8.1.
New in version 0.8 (November 17th, 2009)
- HD video support
- Volume level and mute is restored accross sessions
- No icons in menus on Linux (GNOME 2.28 style)
- Select search box text on Ctrl+F
- Handle HTTP_PROXY variable with trailing slash (Fix by Eduardo Suarez-Santana)
- Croatian translation by Srecko Belaic
- Latvian translation by Inga Muste
- Galician and Neutral Spanish translations by Miguel Anxo Bouzada
- Hungarian translation by Krisztián Horváth
- French translation by Guillaume Betous
New in version 0.7 (October 13th, 2009)
- Fixed "embedding disabled by request" message. All videos now play.
- Slightly faster playlist painting
- Fixed overflowing text in the playlist
- Fixed view crossfades on the Mac
- Fixed FreeDesktop icons on Linux
New in version 0.6.1 (September 16th, 2009)
- Fixed showstopper bug caused by a change in the YouTube web service. Thanks to Guillaume Girard for reporting it.
New in version 0.6 (September 7th, 2009)
- New search view look
- Hide idle mouse cursor when above the video (Linux only)
- Volume keyboard shortcuts
- Keyboard shortcuts appear in the status bar
- Better error reporting
- Playlist width is saved accross restarts
- HTTP proxy support contributed by Kiwamu Okabe
- Fixed Space key not pausing videos in fullscreen mode (Mac only)
- Fixed window losing focus after exiting fullscreen (Mac only)
- Spanish translation by Rafa
- Japanese translation by Kiwamu Okabe
- Czech translation by Dan Vrátil
- Hebrew translation by Yaron Shahrabani
New in version 0.5 (August 28th, 2009)
- Search autocomplete
- Skip to the next when a video cannot be loaded
- Playlist items can now be dropped onto the video area
- Fixed messages in the playlist not updating
- Disabled view crossfade on Linux
- Save keywords only when there are results
- Fixed fullscreen keyboard shortcurt not working
- Polish translation by Grzegorz Gibas