New in version 8 Update 40March 6th, 2015
- JVM Reaction to Memory Pressure: “Memory pressure” is a property that represents the total memory usage (RAM) on the system. This new feature can be leveraged to reduce the amount of memory used on a system where multiple JVMs are deployed and control the amount of memory designated to be consumed by each JVM, avoiding Out of Memory Errors (OOMEs) from occurring.
- Improvements to the native packager: Enables developers to create native-feel applications that do not require clients to have an existing Java Runtime installed. These self-contained applications can then be deployed into areas like the Mac app store. The application developer has full control over the runtime and application entry points.
- Ability to modernize the JavaFX stack on Mac OS X: The JavaFX media stack has been ported on Mac OS X from QTKit and Quicktime, which have been deprecated, to the newer AVFoundation framework. With this, developers using the JavaFX media stack can now gain Mac App Store acceptance and have the opportunity to have their applications released on the Mac App Store.
- New Time Zone Date Updater Tool: This tool can consume the ‘raw’ time zone data (tzdata) rules from the IANA time zone registry database and convert those to the necessary format required by the JRE. This provides users with the ability to immediately update the JDK/JRE time zone rules with the latest updates from IANA.
New in version 6 Update 30 (January 26th, 2012)
- New entries were added to the blacklist of vulnerable applications.
- Several critical security issues were fixed. JIT and loop bugs were fixed.
- An SSL/TLS regression was fixed.
- An enhanced Java VisualVM is included in the package.
- Gervill, a new software synthesizer implementation, was integrated.
- Olson time zone data was updated to version 2011l.
New in version 6 Update 25 (April 26th, 2011)
- Performance and stability were improved.
- Java BigDecimal performance was improved.
- Olson time zone data was updated to version 2011b.
- HotSpot VM version 20 is now included.
- Many minor bugs were fixed.