February 18th, 2013Server / General:
· Bug fix: when a unit was automatically moved to a transporter to save it from drowning or running out of fuel, the transporter could continue to appear empty. GNA#20454
Bug fixes in unit conversion and upgrade GNA#20452:
· Prevent cases where units could be converted or upgraded to a type only capable of carrying different cargo to the current cargo.
· Prevent conversion of a unit to a type that could not exist on the current tile.
· Units of types the owner cannot build are no longer prevented from upgrade. GNA#20460
· Bug fix: quell spurious "No diplomat action possible" message when an ordinary attempt to move a diplomatic unit failed. GNA#20150
· Following on from a fix in 2.3.3, when a border source such as a fortress is occupied by a unit of a nation other than the owner when a ceasefire runs out, ownership now transfers to that of the occupying unit. GNA#20348
· When acquiring a technology such as Philosophy which gives further techs by an unusual route (such as through a hut), all progress toward the current research target was lost. Now it is preserved (although 'freecost' is applied). GNA#20362
· Bug fix: when a city is traded and hence units change ownership, it wasn't checked whether those units provided diplomatic contact to a new nation. GNA#20431
· Bug fix: assertion failure during map generation when no unit in the ruleset satisfied the first role in 'startunits'. GNA#19886
· Bug fix: the tech upkeep with tech_cost_style 2 or 4 was much lower than intended; it only took into account a single tech rather than all preceding techs. As a result, tech upkeep in such rulesets will greatly increase. GNA#20063
· The currently downloadable 'civ2-3' modpack (2.3-2c) thus has tech upkeep disabled. You may want to update your copy.
· An unknown effect requirement type in a ruleset now causes a loading error rather than being silently interpreted as "None". GNA#20462
· When a new nation is created in the editor, city style and leader sex are now set appropriately (previously they were always European and male). GNA#19313
· A hardcoded year of -4000 is no longer sent to the metaserver in pregame, as it is ruleset-dependent. GNA#17862
· One code tidy-up with no user-visible effect. GNA#20458
· The client could crash when your name was mentioned in chat but you had set the 'highlight your player/user name' setting to no color. This could also prevent any connection to a server with the event cache enabled if your player name had been mentioned in the past. GNA#20478
· Older clients can work around this bug by setting a highlight colour in their local options (you may need to start a local game in order to access the configuration dialog).
· Fix possible instability when loading some tilesets. GNA#20055
Tilesets / Art:
· Some internal SVG format fixes in the supplied flags to allow their use in web browsers; this has no effect on Freeciv itself. GNAPATCH#3574
· Fix some incorrect inferences about the ability of transported units or units in cities to defend; these are most likely to affect unusual rulesets (e.g., those with ocean cities). GNA#20483
Help / Documentation:
· Minor improvements to user documentation and in-game text. GNAPATCH#3592 GNAPATCH#3594 GNAPATCH#3634 GNAPATCH#3662
· Miscellaneous improvements to developer/ruleset docs. GNAPATCH#3575 GNAPATCH#3595 GNAPATCH#3602 GNAPATCH#3603 GNAPATCH#3640 GNAPATCH#3660
· The Spanish, Polish, and French translations are once more complete.
· Fix various compiler warnings. It's now possible to build Freeciv with GCC 4.7 optimisation level -O3 without any warnings. GNA#19386 GNA#19385 GNA#20443 GNA#20413 GNA#20447 GNA#20444
· Future-proof against automake versions which ignore ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS. GNAPATCH#3585
· Suppress warnings about use of deprecated declarations in debug builds, allowing compilation on for instance recent OpenSUSE. GNA#20428
December 12th, 2012Server / General:
· Bug fix: players' endgame scores could be too high due to the future techs state not being initialised correctly at the start of the game; this could lead to incorrect ranking. The fix will only help with games started with a new version of the server; in-progress games will continue to have incorrect scores. GNA#19745
· Bug fix: allied victory (enabled by default) never occurred. GNA#17986
· Freeciv now infers that ruleset effects are possible in more cases where incomplete information is available. This is a low-level change whose effects are hard to quantify, but should be more correct; it is most likely to affect client behaviour and the AI. GNA#20304
· More types of units are now permitted to auto-explore - only those with fuel or which lose hitpoints are prevented. In particular, Triremes in the 'experimental' ruleset can now auto-explore. GNA#17958
· Bug fix: goto planning could erroneously consider it impossible for a unit to move to a city on non-native terrain. It was still possible to make such a move with the cursor keys. (Does not affect supplied rulesets.) GNA#19611
· Bug fix: following on from 2.3.2, more assertion failure fixes when many autosettlers try to work on the same project. GNA#20240
Bug fixes in unit destruction:
· Many more cases of unit loss now contribute to the final score, notably including units on board a transport unit when it was lost. GNA#20300 GNA#20301
· The "unit_lost" scripting signal was not emitted for units on board a transport unit when it was lost. (This bug had no effect on the supplied rulesets.) GNA#20221
Bug fixes for border sources such as fortresses:
· When a border source within range of a city was invaded, tile ownership from the first source did not change hands correctly. GNA#19831
· When a border source changed hands and the new owner did not know all the territory in range, the old owner could erroneously retain some tiles. GNA#19983
· When a border source is occupied by a unit of a nation other than the owner at the time a treaty between the two players breaks, ownership now transfers to that of the occupying unit. (partial fix for GNA#20348)
· Bug fix: with foggedborders enabled, tile ownership could appear to change back to an old owner when it went out of sight. GNA#18588 GNA#19627 GNA#19637
· Fix possible trouble when upgrading a highly-veteran unit to a type with fewer veteran levels. GNA#19913
· Bug fix: in tech loss situations, future tech would fail to be removed from a player, with an assertion failure. GNA#20220
· Bug fix: the full range of the 'trademindist' setting (1-999) could not be transmitted over the network to the client. This caused a cosmetic problem in the help for the 'civ2-3' ruleset. GNA#19977
· Bug fix: server-side AI assertion failure in rulesets with paratroopers and ocean cities. GNA#20230
· Security fix: malformed network packets could cause denial of service (memory exhaustion or CPU-bound loop). GNA#20003
· Bug fix: if the server was started with one ruleset and then another with a different number of governments was loaded (e.g., 'default' then 'multiplayer'), it could crash. GNA#19800
· Bug fix: ordinary save files from a game started from a scenario file could themselves be saved as scenario files, and thus be listed as unwanted options when starting a new scenario game. GNA#19919
· When a scenario is saved, scenario information is included earlier in the file, to speed up the 'Start Scenario Game' dialog. GNAPATCH#3497
· It is now possible to save games with names containing dots - previously, everything after the first dot was stripped. GNA#18781
Bug fixes to scorelog/ranklog:
· Player deletion was logged incorrectly in scorelog, causing warnings when resuming the game from a save file. GNA#20069
· When a new user took over a player from another user, the old username could persist in the ranklog file. GNAPATCH#3526
· Taking over a dead AI player no longer changes their username in the ranklog. GNAPATCH#3547
· Tab-completion on the server command line has been improved; notably, enumerated and bitwise options are now completed. GNAPATCH#3436
· Fix a possible crash when the '/cmdlevel' server command is issued. GNA#19878
· More robustness against malformed network packets. GNA#20107
· Minor performance improvements in certain specific situations. GNA#19823 GNAPATCH#3334
· Various internal changes which should only affect developers. GNA#19585 GNAPATCH#3205 GNA#15743 GNA#19564 GNAPATCH#3081
· Bug fix: assertion failure in get_internal_string_length() on client start on some platforms. GNA#17373
Fix a couple of issues with units with a zero move rate (no such units exist in the supplied rulesets):
· The 'exhausted' icon was always shown for such units; now it is never shown. GNA#20270
· Such units are now not skipped when focusing on the next unit. GNAPATCH#3567
· Reduce memory usage after game start with large tilesets. GNA#16995 GNA#19605
· The default metaserver URL has been updated in line with future plans. (The old URL will continue to work for the foreseeable future.) GNAPATCH#3453 GNA#20014
· Saved configurations now correctly save the default metaserver URL as "default", so that future changes to the default will be picked up. GNA#20015
· (Gtk) Fix migration of chat/message window arrangement settings from 2.2.x. (This will not help you if you've ever run a previous 2.3.x version; you'll have to restore your preference manually, if you haven't already.) GNA#19888
· (Gtk) Fix possible colour inaccuracy. GNAPATCH#3344
· Additional robustness in the face of odd server behaviour. GNA#13701
Tilesets / Art:
· Bug fix: in the hex2t tileset, the fogged parts of the minimap were far too dark. GNA#16900
· In the supplied Amplio2 tileset, the 'Refugee' graphic has been enabled, for the benefit of custom modpacks such as civ2-3. GNAPATCH#3455
Gameplay / Rules Changes:
· The supplied earth-80x50-v3 scenario could not be loaded at all in a release build. GNA#20050
· In rulesets with a 'watchtower' vision bonus for fortresses, the bonus now only applies to ground units in the fortress, not to air units flying over it. GNA#19866
· Bug fix: in the 'multiplayer' ruleset, players could gain free techs multiple times by rebuilding Darwin's Voyage (fixed by GNA#19852).
· Bug fix: in the 'experimental' ruleset, Triremes could not attack outwards from a city. GNA#19828
· The script.lua files for the civ1/civ2 rulesets had been accidentally omitted from the distribution, although this had no functional effect. GNA#19907
· Ruleset tidy-ups with no functional effect. GNA#20020 GNA#19991
· A custom ruleset effect can now have both Oceanic and Land requirements in a single list. GNA#19916
· The give_technology() Lua script function now returns 'nil' if the player already has the technology, as documented; previously it returned the Tech_Type 'None'. GNA#19852
· The total Max_Rates effect value is now clipped to its legal range, so it's no longer necessary for custom rulesets to take care to keep the total value below 100% to avoid server misbehaviour. GNAPATCH#3343
· The MinYear effect now allows years earlier than -4000. GNA#17862
Fixes for a couple of server crashes (division by zero):
· In rulesets with tech upkeep, when evaluating the value of 'Tech_Parasite' effects (e.g., Great Library), players who are losing bulbs are no longer considered. GNA#20234
· Division by zero could occur when evaluating poor city locations. GNA#20239
· AI behaviour is likely to change as a result of GNA#20304. For instance, it might be more likely to research a tech to allow it to build a kind of building without being certain that that building's other prerequisites will ever be fulfilled.
Help / Documentation:
· Government-wide effects on unhappiness caused by military units were not mentioned in the online help. (In many of the supplied rulesets, the Republic government type suppresses unhappiness caused by one unit per city.) GNA#17905
· The shipped FAQ has been updated from the wiki version. GNAPATCH#3420
· NEWS in the distribution now contains a change list between major versions, rather than just being a pointer to wiki; a new file NEWS-2.3 lists differences between recent minor versions. GNAPATCH#3488
· A manual page is now included for the 'freeciv-manual' utility. GNA#19227
· Other minor improvements to user documentation and in-game text. GNA#19860 GNA#19908 GNAPATCH#3368 GNAPATCH#3398 GNAPATCH#3431 GNA#20019 GNA#20021 GNAPATCH#3500
· Miscellaneous improvements to developer/ruleset docs. GNA#18015 GNAPATCH#3359
· Invisible changes to assist translation. GNA#19870
· New translations: Serbian (33%), Bulgarian (31%).
· Complete translations: Spanish, Catalan, Scottish Gaelic.
· Incomplete translations: Dutch (72%), Irish (56%).
· The configure script could fail to detect SDL_mixer, for instance on Fedora with hardened build options set. GNAPATCH#3519
· The embedded Lua build now respects the --without-readline configure option, fixing a possible failure to build on systems without readline. GNA#20219
· Autoconfiguration macros for X now avoid non-portable '=='. GNA#20002
· The material used to build Windows installers is now included in the distribution. GNA#19088 GNAPATCH#3357 GNAPATCH#3365
· Warning fixes on various platforms. GNAPATCH#3466 GNA#20013
February 15th, 2012Server / General:
· Bug fix: when loading pre-2.3 savegames (including the supplied tutorial scenario), the server setting "onsetbarbs" was accidentally reset to 0, causing immediate barbarian uprisings which would tend to wipe out players before they could get established. (The default behaviour, which has been restored, is for barbarians and pirates not to appear for sixty turns.) GNA#18472
· Bug fix: the server could crash when units were set to auto-explore. GNA#18796
· Bug fix: the server could crash when starting the game on a map without special resources. GNA#18533
· Fix a server crash associated with ocean cities; this showed up with the Alien World modpack. GNA#18557
· Bug fix: games started with identical parameters including random seeds could allocate start positions in varying orders. GNA#13679
· Bug fix: turn timeouts greater than about 60 hours were not being displayed correctly in the client, although they took effect correctly on the server. Both client and server must be upgraded for this fix to be effective. GNA#18687 GNA#19004
· Prevent starting games with map areas greater than the maximum supported (128,000 tiles) -- this was causing trouble when such games were saved. GNA#18537
· Prevent generation of maps with odd ysize with iso/hex topology -- this was causing assertion failures while the game was running. GNA#18875
· Bug fix: if /remove was used, the server could crash on saving/or loading a game, and some players' explored territory could be forgotten. GNA#19007
· Bug fix: bases were not being saved or loaded with playerless scenarios. GNA#18930
· Bug fix: a scenario saved after the start of a game could have an invalid format. GNA#18652
· Bug fix: if a game saved after a player had been removed was reloaded, the order in which players' turns took effect could be incorrect for that turn. GNA#18886
· Robustness fixes when loading invalidly formatted savegames. GNA#18546
· Make Freeciv generally more tolerant of Unix/DOS line ending differences in rulesets, save files, etc. GNAPATCH#2843 GNA#18434
· Fix assertion failures when server LAN announcements were disabled with "-A none". GNA#18511
· Bug fix: misplaced '/' in unknown command response from server to client. GNA#18678
· Allow server settings to be specified in rulesets with similar syntax to the server command line. GNA#18328
· Improvements to the checks made when a ruleset is loaded. GNA#18514 GNAPATCH#2925
· Bug fix: units on sentry duty could sometimes fail to wake up when an enemy unit moved into a neighbouring city. GNA#18388
· Bug fix: remove lingering effects from bases when a city replaced them on the same tile GNA#18529 or when the underlying terrain was transformed GNA#18513.
· Bug fix: move/disband units on a tile when their native base is pillaged, and they have no other means to remain in that tile. GNA#18528
· Bug fix: disband boats when surrounding terrain changes would leave them trapped in a landlocked city. GNA#18613
· Bug fix: don't allow a unit to move from a transporter into a city where it should not be able to exist. GNA#18675
· Fix various inconsistencies with when the roads built in to a city were and weren't removed from a tile. GNA#18553
· Limit the maximum amount of calculation the citizen governor will do for a city. This could cause the server to spend many minutes between turns, particularly with large city radii, for instance when auto-arranging citizens after city growth. This is only a partial solution; in this situation, the governor will not make an optimal decision. GNA#18407
Cosmetic improvements to the freeciv-modpack utility:
· Add icons on platforms other than Windows, and .desktop files for Unix desktop environments. GNAPATCH#2810 GNAPATCH#2948 GNAPATCH#2928
· Add a window title. GNA#18589
· Add --help/--version command-line options. GNAPATCH#2808
· Add a man page. GNAPATCH#2890 GNAPATCH#2928
· Various internal changes which should only affect developers. GNA#18491 GNA#18464 GNA#18418 GNA#17846
Changes to science dialog:
· The "turns/advance" display is based on the total number of bulbs for the current advance, as in 2.2.x, rather than the number of bulbs remaining. GNA#18499
· When calculating the number of bulbs required before the long-term goal will be complete, discount progress already made on the current advance, if it is a prerequisite of the goal. GNA#18547
· Add an option controlling combat animation speed. GNA#18770
· Bug fix: in rulesets containing immobile units, the client could crash if an attempt was made to give such a unit a go-to order. GNA#19001
· (Gtk) Bug fix: clicking Previous/Next City buttons as a player observer could cause a crash. GNA#18608
· (Gtk) Bug fix: crash when started with no usable theme. GNA#18952
· (Gtk) Bug fix: the text cursor misbehaved when changing the Scenario Description in the editor. GNA#18536
· (Gtk) Bug fix: keyboard shortcuts for buttons in the Messages dialog clashed, rendering them non-functional. GNA#18500
· (Gtk) Bug fix: on Windows, reordering items in the worklist by dragging should work again. (This is actually a function of the Gtk version, so the issue may still be seen on other platforms.) GNA#18517
· (Gtk) Workaround to make various menu bars (including ones essential for diplomacy) not disappear when using Ubuntu's Unity window manager. (This workaround has been included in standard Ubuntu packages since 2.2.7.) GNA#18260
· (Gtk) Remove various 'Address' fields from the editor in non-debug builds, as they are only of interest to developers. GNA#18584
· (Xaw) Rewritten connection dialog, restoring metaserver and authentication support. GNAPATCH#2813
· (Xaw) Bug fix: the unit count in the city report was incorrect. GNA#18486
Tilesets / Art:
· Bug fix: the hex2t tileset would not load due to a spurious dependency on the removed amplio tileset. GNA#18458
· Bug fix: tiny glitch in one of the Amplio/Amplio2 city graphics. GNA#18935
Gameplay / Rules:
· Supplied rulesets
· Multiplayer ruleset: fix a script error when researching future tech. GNA#18710
Changes to the experimental ruleset:
Rule changes to make the effects of plague more bearable in the early game GNA#18535, GNAPATCH#2998:
· Aqueducts now reduce illness by a further 20% until Industrialization is researched.
· Temples now reduce illness by 20%.
· Triremes no longer move at triple speed along rivers. GNA#18590
· Updated earth-160x90-v2 scenario with more start positions and a few terrain tweaks. GNAPATCH#2949
· Autosettlers were miscalculating the worth of tiles with resources, leading to them not working valuable resources. GNAPATCH#2840
· Autosettlers never considered improving city centre tiles. GNA#17767, GNAPATCH#2866, GNA#18549, GNAPATCH#2957
Help / Documentation:
· Add Freeciv client version and name to built-in help. GNA#18198
· Bug fix: the "Strategy and Tactics" help menu item was broken in some locales. GNA#18425
· Other minor improvements to documentation. GNA#18512 GNA#18552 GNA#18424 GNA#18677 GNA#18897 GNA#18920
· Invisible changes to assist with translation. GNA#18451 GNA#18934
· Complete translations: British English, Catalan, French, Polish, Spanish, Scots Gaelic.
· Incomplete translations: Finnish (95.4%), Ukrainian (82%).
· Many typo fixes in English strings. GNA#18416
· The Windows installer now lets you choose the interface language at installation time (so you don't have to set it by hand). GNA#19019
Fixes for portability to OpenBSD on sparc64 (and probably other platforms):
· Fix crash on launching server. GNA#18482
· Fix network header inclusion order. GNA#18468 GNA#18501
· Compilation fix for platforms where AI_NUMERICSERV is not defined (such as Mac OS X 10.5). GNA#18871
· Compilation fix for platforms which define min() and max(). GNA#18963
· Remove spurious requirement for C++ compiler. GNA#17488
· Add a configure option --with-mysql-libdir. GNAPATCH#2867
March 7th, 2011
· Fix bug where a game saved while a civilization was in revolution would not save the target government correctly.
· Fix server crash with invalid arguments to "/show" command.
· Forbid meaningless negative values for the 'endturn' option.
· Fix for building with IPv6 support on OpenBSD.
· Declare IPv6 support as no longer "work in progress".
· Make "maintainer-clean" build target cleaner.
· Apply latest lua-5.1.4 patches (7 and 8).
· Windows: display meaningful message for winsock error #10060.
· Stability improvements.
· Fix incomplete list of buildings in Spy sabotage dialogue.
· Better handling of the situation where multiple Settlers are selected and the "Build city" order is issued.
· Do not save "gameseed" or "mapseed" settings in client config file (this would cause the user to get the same game/map every time they started the client).
· (Gtk) In diplomacy dialogue, remove current diplomatic status from list of allowed proposals.
· (Gtk) Allow type-to-search when picking a nation.
· (SDL) Avoid a crash when an attempt is made to use a missing sprite.
· Fix a few memory leaks.
· Improve alignment of fixed-width tables in some character sets.
· Added "Electric Age" city graphics to the Trident-based rulesets.
· The effects of notradesize / fulltradesize are now calculated separately from the normal corruption calculation; this gives a more consistent effect, and prevents building Courthouses to circumvent those settings.
· Fix bug where civil war rebels never got a capital city.
· Remove misspelled Aztec ruler title.
· Allow non-military paradroppable units to drop into peaceful territory.
· Make the SaveSmallWonder flag actually have an effect; previously, all small wonders would be rebuilt if lost. This didn't matter for the default ruleset (where the Palace is the only "small wonder" and this effect is desired), but it does affect the "rewonder" ruleset.
· gold_upkeep_style=2: when gold runs out, buildings and units are alternately sold (rather than selling all buildings before selling any units).
· Fix trouble with technologies with a "root_req" specification.
· If the server setting 'citymindist' was changed from its default, the AI was not taking this into account when planning its cities.
· Minor improvements to in-game text.
· Minor improvements to comments in ruleset files.
· Fix contact details in man pages.
· Several invisible changes to assist with translation.
· Updated translations: Complete translations: Polish, Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, French, Italian. Incomplete translations: Danish (99.9%), Brazilian Portuguese (99.6%), Finnish (93%), Ukrainian (92%).
June 3rd, 2010
· Stability fixes and refactoring.
· client-sdl: Push the maximal resolution to 3200x2400 in options.
· Make impossible to change the server settings trademindist when the game is running.
· Fixed the display of workable tiles when investigating foreign cities.
· Improved server logging.
· client-gtk2: Canceling server logon takes you back to the main menu.
· Fixed a bug where you were unable to initiate diplomatic meetings with other players under certain circumstances.
· Internationalization and string fixes.
· Fixed bugs with voting.
· client-gtk2 Use city id instead of name in the goto dialog.
· Fixed a bug where air bases wouldn't work on certain tiles.
· Improved city illness.
· Do not show new city dialog if city cannot be built
· client-gtk2: Made the unit info label scrollable to prevent the map view to resize.
· Do not show team name in victory message in the case there's only one team member.
· Improved documentation.
· Fixed goto turn time calculations.
· Fixed a bug where the -M command line parameter was ignored.
· Improvements to Lua scripting.
· Fixed configuration and compilation warnings.
· Added a column for plague risk in city report.
· Fixed bugs with loading saved games.
· Fixed the display of global warming / nuclear winter in the client.
· Disallowed paradrops inside peaceful foreign borders.
· Give a palace to nations split off by civil war.
· Fixed editor UI bugs.
· client-gtk2: Made 'Work' menu adapt to terrain for multiple units on single tile.
· Introduced Lake terrain in more scenario maps.
· Fixed minor issues with isotrident and amplio tilesets.
· client-gtk2: Made the pregame player context menu stay open with one click.
· Disallowed transporter units to load into themselves.
· Don't close client dialogs when switching tileset.
· client-gtk2: Made client work with GTK versions older than 2.6.
· client-gtk2: Added tooltips for columns in the city report.
· Made improvement upkeep visible in "Info" column of worklist editor.
· Fixed mangled server "help options" output.
· client-gtk2: Improved the "Start Scenario Game" page.
· client-gtk2: Center map view at start of first game.
· Show pillage activity in middle-click map popup.
· Create ruins for disbanded cities.
· Avoid getting migrants that starve to death instantly.
· client-gtk2: Improvements diplomacy dialog.
· client-gtk2: Sort the science dialog technologies in alphabetical order.
· Do not require an extra endline at the end of ruleset files.
· client-sdl: Fixed bug where popups were not displayed.
· Fixes to freedesktop.org file.
· Avoid transforming a city tile to a terrain that won't support the city.
· Fixed a bug with the France scenario that caused trouble building improvements the first few turns.
· Fixed bugs with the CMA UI.
· Reworked pillaging.
· Changed the build system to work better with shared libraries.
· Fixed typos in civil war nations.
· Made linking work with binutils-gold.
· Updated translations: Ukrainian, Korean, Catalan, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian