New in version 10.1
November 14th, 2014
- The new console driver, vt(4), has been added.
- Support for FreeBSD/i386 guests has been added to bhyve(4).
- The bhyve(4) hypervisor now supports booting from a zfs(8) filesystem.
- Support for SMP was added to the armv6 kernels and enabled by default in the configuration files for all platforms that contain multi-core CPUs.
- Initial support for UEFI boot has been added for the FreeBSD/amd64 architecture.
- Support has been added to cache geli(8) passphrases during system boot.
- Support for the UDP-Lite protocol (RFC 3828) has been added to the IPv4 and IPv6 stacks.
- The new filesystem automount facility, autofs(5), has been added.
- The sshd(8) rc.d(8) startup script now generates ED25519 sshd(8) host keys if keys do not already exist when ssh_keygen_alg() is invoked.
- OpenSSH has been updated to version 6.6p1.
- The nc(1) utility has been updated to match the version in OpenBSD 5.5.
- Sendmail has been updated to 8.14.9.
- The unbound(8) caching resolver and ldns have been updated to version 1.4.22.
- OpenPAM has been updated to Ourouparia (20140912).
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 1.0.1j.
- The pkg(8) package management utility has been updated to version 1.3.8.
New in version 10.1 RC3 (October 23rd, 2014)
- Several fixes to the UDPLite protocol implementation.
- The vt(4) driver has been updated to save and restore keyboard mode and LED states when switching windows.
- Several fixes to the SCTP protocol implementation.
- A potential race condition in obtaining a file pointer has been corrected.
- Fix ZFS ZVOL deadlock and rename issues.
- Restore libopie.so ABI compatibility with 10.0-RELEASE.
- Removed the last vestige of MD5 password hashes.
- Several rc(8) script updates and fixes.
- bsdinstall(8) has been updated to allow selecting local_unbound in the default services to enable at first boot.
- Prevent ZFS leaking pool free space.
- Fix rtsold(8) remote buffer overflow vulnerability. [SA-14:20]
- Fix routed(8) remote denial of service vulnerability. [SA-14:21]
- Fix memory leak in sandboxed namei lookup. [SA-14:22]
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 1.0.1j. [SA-14:23]
- Fix an issue where a FreeBSD virtual machine provisioned in the Microsoft Azure service does not recognize the second attached disk on the system.
New in version 10.1 RC2 (October 13th, 2014)
- Fix XHCI driver for devices which have more than 15 physical root HUB ports.
- Fix old iSCSI initiator to work with new CAM locking.
- Fix page length reported for Block Limits VPD page.
- Add QCOW v1 & v2 support to mkimg(1).
New in version 10.1 RC1 (October 5th, 2014)
- A bug that would cause all processes to appear to have the parent PID of '1' has been fixed.
- Various updates to bsdinstall(8) and bsdconfig(8).
- The Hyper-V KVP (key-value pair) driver has been added, and enabled by default on amd64 and i386 architectures.
New in version 10.1 Beta 3 (September 28th, 2014)
- Support for serial and null console has been added to the UEFI boot loader.
- A potential panic triggered by referencing a device that has been renamed has been fixed in the cam(4) subsystem.
- OpenPAM has been updated to the Ourouparia (20140912) release.
- New sysctls have been added to vt(4) to enable or disable potentially dangerous key combinations (such as reboot, halt, and break to debugger).
- The mkimg(1) utility has been updated to allow creating empty partition entries.
- The GEOM_ELI class will now cache passphrases for disk decryption, which allows the system to boot after the first passphrase entry if the remaining disks on the system use the same passphrase.
- Support for controlling mfi(4) controller properties has been added to mfiutil(8).
- The /usr/lib32/compat shared library directory has been added to the default ld-elf32.so.1 path.
- Use of "no" for a Norwegian keymap file is now permitted in rc.conf(5).
- Several bug fixes to autofs(5) have been implemented.
New in version 10.0 (January 20th, 2014)
- GCC is no longer installed by default on architectures where clang is the default compiler.
- Unbound has been imported to the base system as the local caching DNS resolver.
- BIND has been removed from the base system.
- make has been replaced with bmake, obtained from the NetBSD Project.
- pkg is now the default package management utility.
- pkg_add(1), pkg_delete, and related tools have been removed.
- Major enhancements in virtualization, including the addition of bhyve(8), virtio(4), and native paravirtualized drivers providing support for FreeBSD as a guest operating system on Microsoft Hyper-V.
- TRIM support for Solid State Drives has been added to ZFS.
- Support for the high-performance LZ4 compression algorithm has been added to ZFS.
New in version 10.0 RC4 (January 3rd, 2014)
- Tighten default restrictions for ntpd(8) server.
- Fix kernel crash discovered with recent Java port update.
New in version 10.0 Beta 4 (December 4th, 2013)
- Add preliminary support for RTL8106E, RTL8168G, RTL8168GU, RTL8411B, and RTL8168EP.
- Enable fingerprint checking in pkg(8) for FreeBSD-provided binary packages.
- Remove the WITH_LIBICONV_COMPAT build option.
- Update nvi to 2.1.2.
- Various iconv(3) fixes.
- Fix mergemaster -U by forcing FreeBSD 9 compatiblity in mtree when mtree is nmtree.
- Fix to freebsd-update(8) in generating the list of old files/directories versus new files/directories (FreeBSD-EN-13:05.freebsd-update).
New in version 9.2 (October 1st, 2013)
- The ZFS filesystem now supports TRIM when used on solid state drives.
- The virtio(4) drivers have been added to the GENERIC kernel configuration for amd64 and i386 architectures.
- The ZFS filesystem now supports lz4 compression.
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 0.9.8y.
- DTrace hooks have been enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel.
- DTrace has been updated to version 1.9.0.
- Sendmail has been updated to version 8.14.7.
- OpenSSH has been updated to version 6.2p2.
- Import unmapped I/O support from head/.