New in version 14.12
December 1st, 2014
- Tools > Magnify Image: New function - analogous to viewing a printed image through a magnifying glass that can be moved freely over the image.
- Tools > User Settings: When stepping through image files with the prev/next button or KB arrow keys, there is a new option to show only the last edited
- version (or the original file if never edited).
- Retouch Combo: The slider to emphasize darker...brighter pixels for color adjustments was made more effective.
- New command parameter "nosync": Allows a faster startup, but search and map functions are disabled because of the risk of incorrect results. More information is in the Technical Notes section of the User Guide.
- Select Area: The Finish dialog has a new option to extend the selection automatically to designated image corners - a time saver.
- Bugfix: Edit Metadata was not being canceled if a conflicting function was started.
- Bugfix: Adding geotags by clicking on a map sometimes failed.
- Bugfix: Copy text from a dialog widget with Ctrl+C was not working.
New in version 14.11 (October 31st, 2014)
- A world map and several larger-scale continental maps are provided in a separate package: fotoxx-maps. These maps show locations of photos having geotags. Clicking a map location shows a gallery of thumbnail images that can be selected in turn for viewing full size or editing. A user may add more maps, and these will work the same way.
- Gallery thumbnail popup: expanded speed and functionality for zooming thumbnails and comparing images side by side.
- Gallery scrolling is smoother and easier to control with the mouse: scrolls faster as mouse is dragged closer to top or bottom of window.
- Sync Gallery can now have a KB shortcut (default 'S' for new installs).
- Bugfix: Edit Geotags: If the dialog inputs were cleared to blanks, the image geotag data was not being erased.
New in version 14.10.2 (October 9th, 2014)
- Bugfix: If an unmodified image was saved with a different file type, the wrong extension was used, e.g. a jpeg file could be saved as filename.png.
New in version 14.10.1 (October 2nd, 2014)
- Bugfix: Upgrade from an older version of Fotoxx may make the window menus invisible. Workaround: delete the line "menu style" in the file /home//.fotoxx/parameters.
- Translation updates for Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Portuguese.
New in version 14.10 (October 1st, 2014)
- Make Waves effect: Horizontal and vertical wavelength, magnitude and variance can be set independently. More realistic appearance.
- Drawing lines and arrows on an image or mashup montage was made easier:
- create a line or arrow and then drag the end-points into final position.
- Gallery popup image improvements: window fits image without margins, window and image can be scaled up or down with the mouse wheel.
- New setting: Monitor scale: adjust panel scale for high DPI monitor.
- Bugfix: Image date and size in the search index were not always updated when changed (this error fixed itself at the next Fotoxx startup).
- Bugfix: The Print Image function with grid lines enabled did not print the horizontal grid lines clearly (adjacent black and white lines).
- Bugfix: The Shift Colors function [reset] button reset the dialog controls but failed to reset the image edits.
- Bugfix: Mashup crash when deleting and adding text in a mixed sequence.
New in version 14.09 (September 1st, 2014)
- Dialogs set focus back to the main window after use of the [apply] or [next] button, so subsequent KB shortcuts will work without extra mouse action.
- File Save: both unsaved metadata edits and image edits are now saved.
- (Using [apply] in a metadata dialog saves only the metadata changes.)
- Display "no more images" after deleting the last image in the current gallery (otherwise the window goes inexplicably blank).
- Additional dialogs now restore previous inputs, also across sessions.
- Search Images: if time is omitted in a date/time search range, then 00:00 or 23:59 is defaulted for the start or end time respectively.
- Search Images: new option: include only the latest version of each image.
- Batch Convert: If image files are renamed or moved and the originals are deleted, collections containing the images are updated automatically. The problematic Move Collections function was removed.
- Gallery popup images: new option: use the same window or open another window when a thumbnail is clicked. The one window option is effectively a combined image and gallery view, with adjustable allocation of screen space between the two views, and two-click selection of each image to view.
- Area Select: select by matching colors was made a little smarter.
- Gallery Selection: the selection list is scrolled to keep new insertions in view.
- There is a new utility function to find and display all duplicate images.
- Slide Show: new option to auto-replay after reaching the end.
- Bugfix: Manage Collections: dragging a thumbnail to the bottom of the gallery window would not scroll up if the window was maximized.
New in version 14.08 (August 1st, 2014)
- The user interface for creating or replacing a collection was improved.
- Images within a collection can now be rearranged by dragging thumbnails.
- New effect: Make Waves: add random waviness to an image or selected areas.
- The Undo/Redo button combined with the 'A' key becomes Undo/Redo all edits.
- Editing metadata in RAW images is now allowed (restriction removed).
- A few non-obvious dialog controls now have popup tips when moused-over.
- Open Previous File retains zoom size and position to facilitate fast comparison
- of two zoomed image versions.
- The menu icon size is now adjustable in Tools > User Settings.
New in version 14.07.1 (July 3rd, 2014)
- Translations were updated for Spanish and Catalan.
- Bugfix: eliminate redundant menu entry for non-English locales.
New in version 14.07 (June 30th, 2014)
- An image with selected areas can be saved to a PNG file with unselected parts transparent. This can be useful in other image editors, e.g. Gimp.
- The main menu was made smaller to save space. Some menu-icons now use left/right mouse clicks for two functions, e.g. edit undo/redo.
- Mashup: draw lines and arrows on an image, similarly to writing text.
- Mashup: control of overlapping and transparent images was made easier.
- A batch upright tool was added - find and upright images turned 90°.
- Panorama: image matching for exposure/color differences was improved.
- The current image on the gallery page is more strongly highlighted.
- Raw Therapee was added as a RAW image file processing option.
- Metadata and geotag edits were added to the right-click popup menus.
- The world map was made 2x larger in area (a new download is required).
- Bugfix: file rename could sometimes leave an incorrect thumbnail.
- Bugfix: Batch RAW did not set the sRGB color space as default.
- Bugfix: memory leak in Mashup function.