New in version 15.07
July 1st, 2015
- Menus were reorganized and the user guide was revised to match.
- Many minor errors were corrected in the user guide.
- Index Image Files: the user interface and messages were rationalized.
- Undo/Redo button: the middle mouse button produces a popup list of edits done to the current image. Go back to any done or undone edit step.
- Edit Metadata and Search Images: working with thousands of unorganized image tags was made more practical: you can type-in tags or use the pick-list.
- New batch tool: convert tags for all image files using a from-to list.
- New batch tool: select images (click thumbnails) to trash or delete.
- New batch tool: find and upright all image files rotated 90 degrees.
- Gallery navigation panel: parent directories are buttons instead of text.
- Effects > Pencil Sketch: set any desired foreground or background color.
- RAW image noise measure was improved (gives slightly lower values).
- Select Area: new buttons to quickly change line color while drawing.
- Slide Show: zoom-out from a chosen image spot (compliment of zoom-in).
- User Options: initial view = last gallery now works for albums.
- 4 minor bug fixes and 10 user interface improvements.
New in version 15.06 (June 1st, 2015)
- New: HSL Color: change the color of selected image areas using an HSL color chooser. Blend with original image to preserve existing variation.
- Threshold Denoise algorithm was improved.
- The Noise measurement tool was made less sensitive to RGB levels having a small gradient over the measured spot.
- Cycle Desktop (background image): Runs in the background. Add to the startup list to get a new desktop image each logon or time period.
- New: Set Desktop Image: Set the desktop background image from Fotoxx.
- New slide show transition: Image falls over to reveal the next image.
- Mashup: UI improved for adding text and lines/arrows to a layout.
- Trim/Rotate now includes an [auto] button to remove the black image margins left by composite or warp functions. The Auto-Trim menu was removed.
- KB shortcuts includes a button to report all the standard shortcuts.
- Multiple UI and help text improvements.
- Three minor bug fixes.
New in version 15.05 (May 2nd, 2015)
- New: Smart Denoise: measure and reduce noise with minimal loss of detail.
- Also measure camera sensor noise using a RAW image.
- The function Newest Images was revised to show a gallery of the newest 1000 image files, based on either EXIF photo date or file modification date.
- Zonal Flatten: algorithm improvement and stronger deband controls.
- New: Cycle Background: cycle Desktop background image via Fotoxx album.
- Bugfix: Possible crash in some edit functions if the [done] button or Return key
- is pressed very quickly after adjusting a dialog control or edit curve.
- Bugfix: Edit Metadata: tags with special characters were sometimes getting split into two tags.
- Bugfix: Color Mode: color negative: it was sometimes possible to create invalid RGB colors which affected later color functions.
New in version 15.04.1 (April 9th, 2015)
- Plugin interface was broken. If a plugin function was used for the initial edit of an image file, a crash resulted.
New in version 15.04 (April 3rd, 2015)
- New: Zonal Flatten: enhance contrast in dull areas, even if overall brightness and contrast is already well optimized (powerful, try it).
- New: Directed Blur: 1-dimensional image blur in direction of mouse drag.
- Properly extract thumbnails from RAW files enclosing .ppm thumbnails.
- Album edit: View any image full size while adding and arranging images.
- Slide Show: Support for stop show, jump to a new position, resume show.
- Slide Show: New image transitions: implode, explode, Japanese fan.
- Print dialog accepts margin inputs in either inches or centimeters.
- New user setting: show or hide hidden directories in gallery view.
- Bugfix: print dialog: displayed print size was not always correct.
New in version 15.03.1 (March 7th, 2015)
- Portuguese translation updated.
- Bugfix: Mashup: recover lost fine-positioning via keyboard arrow keys.
- Bugfix: Mashup: lock menus to avoid crash from unconventional user action.
- Bugfix: Upright: properly upright image in window and keep dialog active.
New in version 15.03 (March 1st, 2015)
- "Rotate 90" was renamed "Upright". A button was added that detects and correct 90/180° rotations without guidance (based on EXIF data).
- Batch Convert and Batch Upright detect and correct 90/180° rotations.
- The term "Named Collection" was replaced with "Album", which is the term most commonly used for this type of functionality.
- Smart Erase got an IQ upgrade to better deal with curvy objects.
- Mashup: Black margins in overlay images (from prior warping edits or panorama composite) can be automatically removed (made transparent).
- Mashup: Editing very large layouts was made more responsive.
- Mashup: Overlay images can be warped by dragging the mouse. This can also be used to fix minor alignment offsets from Panorama Tools.
- Mashup: Overlay image margins can be trimed back leaving a hard edge, or gradually blended with the background or other overlapped images.
- The window title bar and gallery pages show photo time as well as date.
- New slide show transition: image shrinks away to expose the next image.
- Two other minor usability improvements and three minor bug fixes.
New in version 15.02.1 (February 24th, 2015)
- Bugfix: Fotoxx may fail to start after a new install if there are less than 200 image files found, or if Fotoxx is re-installed and less than 200 new image files are found.
New in version 15.02 (January 31st, 2015)
- The indexing process for newly added image files was made faster: speedup is about 1.2x for a 7200 rpm disk and 1.9x for an SSD.
- A multi-row panorama capability was added by integrating the Panorama Tools utilities into the Fotoxx menus. Very easy to use.
- Slide Show: the maximum zoom-in speed was increased by 2x. (significant for a large or high DPI monitor or a slow computer).
- Slide Show: the option to show captions/comments can be configured per image, and these can be made to vanish after a specified interval.
- User Settings: Thumbnail file size can be set to 128/256/512 pixels (default 256). 512 is a bit slower but better for a large or high DPI monitor, or when viewing gallery pages with the thumbnail size set to maximum.
- Mashup: mouse-painted image transparencies are easier to control.
- Mashup: transparency blends can be set separately for all 4 image edges.
- Cosmetic improvements for gallery view and metadata short report.
- Startup parameter -nosync was replaced with the more correct -noindex.
- Bugfix: quick rotate 90 degrees: metadata was not being copied.
- Bugfix: crash if switch to gallery view during a slide show transition.
- Bugfix: HDR/HDF/Stack: crash if [cancel] pressed twice rapidly.
New in version 15.01.1 (January 18th, 2015)
- The French translation was updated and two minor bugs were fixed.
New in version 15.01 (December 31st, 2014)
- Panorama: better image projection math for more precise stitching.
- Several slider controls were given a log scale for easier and more precise
- control of small changes near the neutral value.
- Reduce Noise: new option: selectively apply to darker image areas.
- Adding and editing plugins was made easier.
- The Plugins menu was moved into the Edit menu.
- Gallery view has a small layout change for improved appearance.
- Gallery popup windows: F11 toggles full screen view, Escape terminates.
- Magnify function: user interface was made more flexible.
- Slide Show: zoom-in limit raised to 3x. Image retains native sharpness.
- Map View: red dots are sized for good visibility at any map scale.
- Bugfix: Printing an edited but unsaved image file printed the original file.
New in version 14.12 (December 1st, 2014)
- Tools > Magnify Image: New function - analogous to viewing a printed image through a magnifying glass that can be moved freely over the image.
- Tools > User Settings: When stepping through image files with the prev/next button or KB arrow keys, there is a new option to show only the last edited
- version (or the original file if never edited).
- Retouch Combo: The slider to emphasize darker...brighter pixels for color adjustments was made more effective.
- New command parameter "nosync": Allows a faster startup, but search and map functions are disabled because of the risk of incorrect results. More information is in the Technical Notes section of the User Guide.
- Select Area: The Finish dialog has a new option to extend the selection automatically to designated image corners - a time saver.
- Bugfix: Edit Metadata was not being canceled if a conflicting function was started.
- Bugfix: Adding geotags by clicking on a map sometimes failed.
- Bugfix: Copy text from a dialog widget with Ctrl+C was not working.
New in version 14.11 (October 31st, 2014)
- A world map and several larger-scale continental maps are provided in a separate package: fotoxx-maps. These maps show locations of photos having geotags. Clicking a map location shows a gallery of thumbnail images that can be selected in turn for viewing full size or editing. A user may add more maps, and these will work the same way.
- Gallery thumbnail popup: expanded speed and functionality for zooming thumbnails and comparing images side by side.
- Gallery scrolling is smoother and easier to control with the mouse: scrolls faster as mouse is dragged closer to top or bottom of window.
- Sync Gallery can now have a KB shortcut (default 'S' for new installs).
- Bugfix: Edit Geotags: If the dialog inputs were cleared to blanks, the image geotag data was not being erased.
New in version 14.10.2 (October 9th, 2014)
- Bugfix: If an unmodified image was saved with a different file type, the wrong extension was used, e.g. a jpeg file could be saved as filename.png.
New in version 14.10.1 (October 2nd, 2014)
- Bugfix: Upgrade from an older version of Fotoxx may make the window menus invisible. Workaround: delete the line "menu style" in the file /home//.fotoxx/parameters.
- Translation updates for Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Portuguese.
New in version 14.10 (October 1st, 2014)
- Make Waves effect: Horizontal and vertical wavelength, magnitude and variance can be set independently. More realistic appearance.
- Drawing lines and arrows on an image or mashup montage was made easier:
- create a line or arrow and then drag the end-points into final position.
- Gallery popup image improvements: window fits image without margins, window and image can be scaled up or down with the mouse wheel.
- New setting: Monitor scale: adjust panel scale for high DPI monitor.
- Bugfix: Image date and size in the search index were not always updated when changed (this error fixed itself at the next Fotoxx startup).
- Bugfix: The Print Image function with grid lines enabled did not print the horizontal grid lines clearly (adjacent black and white lines).
- Bugfix: The Shift Colors function [reset] button reset the dialog controls but failed to reset the image edits.
- Bugfix: Mashup crash when deleting and adding text in a mixed sequence.
New in version 14.09 (September 1st, 2014)
- Dialogs set focus back to the main window after use of the [apply] or [next] button, so subsequent KB shortcuts will work without extra mouse action.
- File Save: both unsaved metadata edits and image edits are now saved.
- (Using [apply] in a metadata dialog saves only the metadata changes.)
- Display "no more images" after deleting the last image in the current gallery (otherwise the window goes inexplicably blank).
- Additional dialogs now restore previous inputs, also across sessions.
- Search Images: if time is omitted in a date/time search range, then 00:00 or 23:59 is defaulted for the start or end time respectively.
- Search Images: new option: include only the latest version of each image.
- Batch Convert: If image files are renamed or moved and the originals are deleted, collections containing the images are updated automatically. The problematic Move Collections function was removed.
- Gallery popup images: new option: use the same window or open another window when a thumbnail is clicked. The one window option is effectively a combined image and gallery view, with adjustable allocation of screen space between the two views, and two-click selection of each image to view.
- Area Select: select by matching colors was made a little smarter.
- Gallery Selection: the selection list is scrolled to keep new insertions in view.
- There is a new utility function to find and display all duplicate images.
- Slide Show: new option to auto-replay after reaching the end.
- Bugfix: Manage Collections: dragging a thumbnail to the bottom of the gallery window would not scroll up if the window was maximized.
New in version 14.08 (August 1st, 2014)
- The user interface for creating or replacing a collection was improved.
- Images within a collection can now be rearranged by dragging thumbnails.
- New effect: Make Waves: add random waviness to an image or selected areas.
- The Undo/Redo button combined with the 'A' key becomes Undo/Redo all edits.
- Editing metadata in RAW images is now allowed (restriction removed).
- A few non-obvious dialog controls now have popup tips when moused-over.
- Open Previous File retains zoom size and position to facilitate fast comparison
- of two zoomed image versions.
- The menu icon size is now adjustable in Tools > User Settings.
New in version 14.07.1 (July 3rd, 2014)
- Translations were updated for Spanish and Catalan.
- Bugfix: eliminate redundant menu entry for non-English locales.
New in version 14.07 (June 30th, 2014)
- An image with selected areas can be saved to a PNG file with unselected parts transparent. This can be useful in other image editors, e.g. Gimp.
- The main menu was made smaller to save space. Some menu-icons now use left/right mouse clicks for two functions, e.g. edit undo/redo.
- Mashup: draw lines and arrows on an image, similarly to writing text.
- Mashup: control of overlapping and transparent images was made easier.
- A batch upright tool was added - find and upright images turned 90°.
- Panorama: image matching for exposure/color differences was improved.
- The current image on the gallery page is more strongly highlighted.
- Raw Therapee was added as a RAW image file processing option.
- Metadata and geotag edits were added to the right-click popup menus.
- The world map was made 2x larger in area (a new download is required).
- Bugfix: file rename could sometimes leave an incorrect thumbnail.
- Bugfix: Batch RAW did not set the sRGB color space as default.
- Bugfix: memory leak in Mashup function.
New in version 14.06.1 (June 19th, 2014)
- Bugfix: The gallery page could crash if the thumbnail size was minimized to zero.
New in version 14.06 (June 2nd, 2014)
- The Window "tabs" paradigm was revised to improve space utilization.
- The user guide has many minor revisions to reflect this change.
- A custom convolution kernel can be edited and applied to an image.
- These can also be saved to a file for later re-use.
- Make thumbnails automatically for RAW files lacking embedded thumbnails.
- Panorama: images can be moved and warped with the mouse to fix residual alignment offsets (parallax, horizon shift, others).
- Fix Perspective: move corner markers in 1-pixel steps with the KB arrow keys.
- Trim/Rotate: move trim rectangle in 1-pixel steps with the KB arrow keys.
- Batch Convert has new controls to sharpen output images.
- Batch Convert RAW has new controls to resize and sharpen output images.
- Mashup can more easily adjust image overlaps and transparencies.
- Behave more nicely when running out of disk space.
- 3 minor bug fixes and a few other minor improvements.
New in version 14.05 (May 1st, 2014)
- Deprecated GTK functions were updated (Ubuntu >=13.10 is now required).
- The Blur function for a large radius (>20) was made 10x faster.
- A new function Color Drawing converts a photo into a color drawing.
- The flakey plugins editor was improved and the functionality revised.
- A plugin was added to clean-up a smudgy white board photo using ImageMagick.
- Retouch Combo was revised for better control of color changes.
- Retouch Combo can now load and save its settings from/to a file.
- Bugfix: a memory leak in Dark/Bright Pixels was plugged.
- Bugfix: fix desktop file (launcher) for non-English locales.
- The Spanish and Catalan translations were updated.
New in version 14.04 (April 1st, 2014)
- The classic top menu was replaced with a vertical menu on the left side.
- Retouch Combo: improved capability to adjust individual colors.
- Retouch Combo: brightness distribution graph cohabits the curve edit window.
- Retouch Combo: new control to adjust the sensitivity of the edit curves.
- Gallery: additional slow scroll mode for scanning images visually.
- Slide Show: specify transitions and dwell times per image where wanted.
- Slide Show: specify zoom-in per image (speed, target center, magnification).
- Leverage Edits is back (for some cases it is better than Paint Edits).
- All curve edits: sharper bends can be made (closer anchor points are allowed).
- Background Pattern: GUI is easier to use and the pattern is now resizable.
- Bugfix: memory leak in Retouch > Brightness Distribution.
New in version 14.03 (March 3rd, 2014)
- Gallery view: highlight the current image with a red frame.
- Gallery thumbnail right-click menu: new entry to pop-up a large resizable movable image. View multiple images within the gallery.
- Mosaic: new function to convert an image into a mosaic with tiles made from all available images. Click a tile to pop-up the underlying image.
- Pattern: new function to add a semi-transparent pattern to an image background
- (e.g. make an image seem painted on canvas or a brick wall).
- New slide show transition: Ken Burns effect (slow zoom-in).
- Mashup transparencies can be adjusted instantly as well as gradually.
- Several small user interface changes were made for convenience and consistency with common practices. Speed was also improved.
- Keyboard shortcuts editing was simplified.
- Leverage Edits was removed (this is more easily done with Paint Edits).
- Edit Translations was removed (unused AFAIK, and slightly buggy).
- Bugfix: Paint/Clone: ignore source pixels beyond image edge [crash risk].
- Bugfix: Fix memory allocation thread contention [crash risk].
- Bugfix: If a collection once contained images that are now deleted, copy/cut/paste operations could move the wrong images.
New in version 14.02.1 (February 3rd, 2014)
- Bugfix: stop spurious "low memory" warning.
New in version 14.02 (February 3rd, 2014)
- Index Image Files (aka Synchronize) runs faster. Intermixing image files with
- 100K other files under /home/user/... has little effect on speed.
- Startup time is also faster for the normal case of few new image files.
- Retouch Combo: sliders were added for fast adjustment of overall brightness,
- contrast and color. The curves can then be hand-tuned if needed.
- Slide Show: a new transition type simulates turning a book page.
- Slide Show: images are clipped to exactly fit the monitor if the difference
- in aspect ratio is less than a predefined limit.
- Slide Show: optionally show captions/comments above each image.
- The batch Rename and Convert functions were combined for convenience.
- Batch Convert has a new option to automatically sharpen images.
- Paint/Clone: a "shadow" paintbrush tracks the source of copied pixels.
- Retouch Combo, Trim/Rotate and Resize can recall prior settings for easier application to multiple images needing similar treatments.
- Mashup: resizing/rotating an overlay image with the mouse is smoother.
- Editing in a selected area: edge blending was made a bit smoother.
- Search Images: select a gallery (thumbnails) report or a tabular report for
- listing desired metadata along with a thumbnail image.
- Block metadata edits for image types not supporting this (e.g. bmp, gif).
- Bugfix: Texture function converted RGB 0/0/0 pixels into illegal values.
- Bugfix: Bogus error message about exceeding geotag limits.
- Bugfix: Trim function left temporary image remnants on the window.
New in version 14.01 (January 3rd, 2014)
- The main retouch functions were combined for faster workflow.
- Select area: automatically finish areas selected by mouse painting and color matching (handle "swiss cheese" selections faster and easier).
- Select Area: the follow-edge method can better follow edges when the mouse edge-tracking is quite imprecise.
- New special effect: add textured surface to an image or selected area.
- Kuwahara sharpen method added: produces very sharp edges with loss of the smallest details.
- All sharpen methods were made multithreaded (typical 2x speedup).
- Slide Show transitions can optionally be used in random sequence.
- Slide Show transition speeds can be adjusted for CPU/GPU performance.
- Show RGB: pixel values are shown live as the mouse is moved over the image.
- The user guide was audited and many minor corrections were made.
- Bugfix: Mashup: preserve transparency when using saved cutout images.
- Bugfix: Image edits were losing some special-application XMP metadata.
- Bugfix: HDR crash if input images are not exactly the same size.
- The Spanish and Catalan quick start guides were updated.
New in version 13.12 (December 2nd, 2013)
- The user interface was revised for faster workflow when processing multiple photos:
- An edit function can be started without closing a prior active edit function. The prior edit becomes the new base and an undo/redo position is added automatically.
- You can step through a series of images with an open edit function. Apply the function to an image or pass over by pressing the [next] button.
- Brightness and color functions can recall prior settings for faster application to other photos made under the same lighting conditions.
- Other changes:
- RAW files are now edited like other image files. Auto-copy to TIFF-16 is no longer done. Edit as usual and save in the desired format (TIFF/PNG/JPEG, 8/16 bit color).
- Add Text: new option: retrieve and edit metadata caption/comments.
- Captions: new option: show metadata caption/comments above each image.
- Move Collections is more flexible: any pathname segment can be replaced.
- Some intermediate files now use ramdisk for a small performance gain.
- Mashup: move layout images in 1-pixel steps with the keyboard arrow keys.
- Mashup: internal speedups, especially when painting transparency.
- New Slide Show transition type: double doors open from the middle.
- Log file output was made always current, like a terminal session.
- Bug Fixes:
- Unsaved edits were lost if the [next] button was used beyond the last image file.
- Curve nodes were lost when reloading saved complex edit curves.
- Mashup: fix erratic overlay image corner drag behavior.
New in version 13.11 (November 1st, 2013)
- File Sync: image navigation and viewing is now allowed (but not editing).
- Batch Convert can upright photos made with camera turned 90 degrees.
- Slide Show: improved capability for automatic pause at designated images.
- Warp Linear: algorithm was revised to better approximate linearity.
- New: Highlight darkest/brightest image areas with adjustable thresholds.
- Select Area: expand or contract a finished area in 1-pixel steps (can reduce edge effects when editing areas selected by color matching).
- Mashup: interface was improved to simplify and speed-up image positioning.
- Mashup: mouse can "paint" variable transparency on images in the layout.
- User Settings: new option to include hidden files in the gallery pages.
- Trim/Rotate: grid lines match the trim rectangle (rule of thirds always works).
- Zoom state is retained for Open Previous File, but reset otherwise.
- (use this function for image A:B comparison, retaining zoom% and position)
- Bugfix: Trim/Rotate removed vacated margins that were left intentionally.
- Bugfix: Trim/Rotate failed to reinstate its prior grid settings.
- Bugfix: Auto-Trim caused an endless loop under certain circumstances.
New in version 13.10 (October 7th, 2013)
- Mashup images and text can be moved, resized and rotated using the mouse.
- Trim/Crop and Rotate were combined as one function to improve workflow.
- Rotate: click image position to add vertical and horizontal guidelines.
- Rotate: the automatic trim option was reinstated.
- Flatten and Expand brightness distribution were combined as one function.
- Paint/Clone: new option to paint/erase gradually or fully in one stroke.
- Gallery thumbnail popup menu: rotate +/-90 degrees was added.
- Gallery [Top] button: new option to choose from named collections.
- World map zoom: toggle full-size/fit-window without intermediate steps.
- Slide Show: allow pause and resume at a selected image position.
- Slide Show: an image with the tag 'pause' will beep and pause until resumed.
- View Metadata: option to show only captions and comments (e.g. for slide show).
- Making a named collection from search results (or any gallery) was simplified.
- CMYK function: the user interface was simplified.
- Warp Linear/Curved/Affine are using multiple threads for faster response.
- Bugfix: clickable tabular reports would not scroll with the mouse wheel.
- Bugfix: the interactive translation update function was broken.
New in version 13.09.1 (September 2nd, 2013)
- New function Mashup: arrange multiple images and text on a background.
- (move around via mouse, resize, rotate, add transparency, add font effects).
- Metadata edit functions were combined: tags/ratings/captions/comments.
- File save options: interface revised for clarity and mistake avoidance.
- Window tabs now have icons instead of "F/G/W" letters.
- Menus and toolbars have visual feedback and popup descriptions.
- Paste a selected area: adjust brightness to better match background.
- Fix Stuck Pixels: user feedback and responsiveness was improved.
- File Synch: show image file counts for each subdirectory processed.
- Bugfix: crash if menus clicked during generation of a large gallery.
- Bugfix: Gallery file selection: select low-high range was broken.
- Bugfix: Deleted images were not being removed from collection lists.
- The Spanish and Catalan translations were updated.
New in version 13.08 (August 3rd, 2013)
- White Balance: a direct adjustment for color temperature was added.
- Search Images: apply criteria iteratively to expand/reduce search results.
- Date format (gallery, reports) changed to world standard YYYY-MM-DD.
- Default jpeg save quality was added to the user settings.
- New function: Graduated Blur: blur radius inversely proportional to contrast
- (can make faces look younger, cartoon effect when taken to extremes).
- Sketch: a 2nd algorithm is provided which works better for some images.
- Sketch: responds much faster to changes in dialog controls.
- Tools > Missing Translations: omit text deliberately left as English.
- Manage Tags: new popup report of unused tags (can be deleted).
- Auto Trim was made much faster.
- Trim/Crop and Rotate dialogs have minor user interface improvements.
- New demo videos are available on YouTube and the Fotoxx web site.
- Bugfix: loss of correct KB Ctrl/Alt state when changed outside app focus.
- Bugfix: right-click popup menu for main window could name a wrong file.
- Bugfix: image rename function was not updating the gallery page.
- Minor bugfixes: area finish, dots transform, prev/next navigation, KB shortcuts.
New in version 13.07 (July 6th, 2013)
- Gallery navigation was extended with new options under the [top] button.
- Effects > Drawing and Effects > Outline functions were combined.
- New: Effects > Sketch: Transform a photo into a simulated sketch.
- New: Tools > Missing Translations: list missing translations for the current language.
- Batch Add Tags and Delete Tags were combined into a more flexible tool.
- Edit Collections was made easier (add/delete/cut/copy/paste images).
- New startup option: gallery of the newest images added to the database.
- Ascending/descending option was added to the gallery sort function.
- Gallery File Selection: a [clear] button was added.
- Flatten and Expand Brightness Range: buttons added for popup histogram.
- Write Text: the [apply] button updates the file as well as the memory image.
New in version 13.06.1 (June 3rd, 2013)
- Bugfix: Select Area Finish during an active edit would cause a crash.
New in version 13.06 (June 3rd, 2013)
- Pano, HDR, etc. have greater latitude to warp images for better fit.
- Warp Area: area can be pulled outside its initial boundary.
- Area Finish was made much faster.
- Add Text: (write text on image) optional drop shadows were added.
- Slide Show pause/resume: resume is immediate (no wait for timer), and the B key can be used to toggle between image and blank screen (for talk time).
- Bugfix: fix pan/scroll jerkiness with large image (bug from v.13.03).
- Bugfix: Trim/Crop: do not limit width/height to prior width/height -1.
- Bugfix: thumbnail generation: stop non-RAW files being passed to dcraw
- (causing useless error messages).
- Bugfix: gallery display was ignoring symlinks to other directories.
- Bugfix: (Fedora) some popup tips were white text on white background.
New in version 13.05 (May 3rd, 2013)
- The Fotoxx user guide is now available in Spanish.
- Directory navigation was simplified for multiple top image directories.
- A Quick Start guide is shown at first Fotoxx startup (also Help > Quick Start).
- The menu names and groupings for edit functions are more conventional.
- User Guide addition: use an ImageMagick function as a Fotoxx edit function.
- New user setting: pan/scroll method: with or against mouse, 1x or magnified.
- New user setting: interpolation method used for zoomed image display.
- An anti-alias function was added (suppress pixelation or "jaggies").
- The Leverage Edits function was extended to include contrast as a lever.
- The popup window for auto file sync goes away by itself (stop an irritant).
- Workaround: ignore Unity KB shortcuts being sent to the active window.
- New releases are now automatically notified at the next Fotoxx startup.
- Slide Show: compensate jerky transitions introduced with Ubuntu 13.04.
- Edit Geotags: Yahoo API died. Changed over to MapQuest.
New in version 13.04 (April 2nd, 2013)
- Most image edit functions can be more rapidly applied to a bunch of images
- (e.g. for the initial processing of fresh images from a camera).
- Ubuntu launcher has 3 options: blank, last image, gallery of recent images.
- Rotate +90 and -90 can have user-defined keyboard shortcuts.
- The escape key can be used to cancel dialogs.
- The parameter "jpeq quality" is adjustable and saved across sessions.
- "installed size" in the Debian control file was made more accurate.
- Bugfix: crash if [Next] button is clicked rapidly with View Metadata active.
- Bugfix: image search index was not always updated when an edited image file was saved back to itself.
New in version 13.03 (March 2nd, 2013)
- Reduce Noise: improved user interface, easier to combine methods.
- Warp Area: improved warp algorithm, easier to get desired results.
- Warp Curved: radius of mouse/warp influence was made adjustable.
- Custom keyboard shortcuts: replace text file with a GUI dialog.
- Bookmarks: save gallery positions in a popup list, go to chosen position.
- Write Text: rendering was improved, huge font sizes can be used.
- Edit Translation: ease of use: keep dialog open after each update.
- Better detection and notification of slowdown from memory shortage.
- Menu rationalization: naming and grouping of edit functions.
- Synchronize Files: progress monitor added, 50 files per dot.
- Bugfix: Rotate and Warp functions: stop loss of custom grid settings.
- Bugfix: Geotags: detect outdated geolocations file, request download.
- Bugfix: Fix small flaws in cutouts saved to a file and later pasted.
- Bugfix: Write Text: stop transparency change when [apply] is clicked.
- Bugfix: Directory names containing quotes could not be opened.
New in version 13.02 (February 2nd, 2013)
- New features include the following:
- Color space conversion via LCMS was added (e.g. Adobe RGB sRGB).
- Square and flatten a photo of a book page. The print is stretched where the page curves down at the binding, making it easier to read.
- Transform a photo into a cartoon-like drawing.
- Image date/time in the search index has 1 second resolution instead of 1 day
- (an index re-synch is required, which may need some time).
- The thumbnail gallery view can be sorted by file name, file mod date, or photo date (from EXIF). The date displayed is determined by the sort.
- RAW files converted to tiff/png/jpeg now retain all available metadata.
- The brightness distribution graph allows selection of the colors to show, and reflects only the visible area if an image is zoomed bigger than the window.
- The first startup after installing a new release shows the release notes in a popup window.
- The edit function summary table and other small help files can be viewed in the locale language if translations are available.
- The GUI translation method was slightly simplified, and the guide document "translations" was revised accordingly.
- Small popup texts (tooltips) go away by themselves after a few seconds.
- The following bugs were corrected:
- PNG images with 16-bit color were being written with the bytes swapped, making them incompatible with Gimp and other editors.
- Geotag search for city/country was not working if latitude and longitude were left at "null" (i.e. values never input).
- Open RAW from a gallery thumbnail left a popup text permanently open.
- Window width was sometimes impossible to reduce without restarting the app.
New in version 13.01 (January 3rd, 2013)
- Bugfix: the Grid Lines menu and keyboard on/off toggle were not working.
New in version 13.01 (January 3rd, 2013)
- The French, Catalan and Netherlands translations were updated.
- A vertical menu/toolbar option was added for better utilization of modern wide-screen monitors.
- Gallery view: image size and date were added to the view.
- Gallery view: mouse hover on a thumbnail shows a popup metadata report.
- Manage Collections: the user interface was reworked to make it easier to use.
- Icons for all edit functions were added for use in the Favorites menu.
- Gallery file selection: multiple images can be selected for insertion or deletion, making re-arrangement of the sequence faster and easier.
- Favorites menu: ignore small inadvertent drags from flying mouse clicks which can cause accidental displacement of the menu entries.
- Brightness histogram: added "overall" graph to existing R/G/B graphs.
- Missing popup mini-explanations (tips) for some menus were added.
- Bugfix: some metadata functions crashed if index file sync was disabled.
New in version 12.12 (December 3rd, 2012)
- New false color tool: gradually change selected colors into other colors.
- Slide Show: Save selected images as a collection. Modify and re-use.
- Thumbnail gallery window now suppresses hidden subdirectories.
- Minor UI improvements for geotag dialogs using the world map.
- Select Area: An additional selection method can speed-up some tasks.
- Paint Pixels: Minor UI changes to better conform with common practice.
- Batch convert/resize/move: optional resize, optional delete originals.
- Batch Rename: Sequence number can be placed anywhere in the base name.
- New right-click menu convenience tools: rename, copy, move, trash ...
- Translation (.po) files are compressed, reducing package size 0.7 MB.
- Bugfix: Slide Show omitted file versions selected out of sequence.
- Bugfix: gallery file chooser: shift+click was sometimes ignored.
- Bugfix: Sync Files memory leak (significant for huge image library).
- Bugfix: EXIF edit history was not complete for re-edited images.
- Bugfix: Select Area finish failed if window auto focus from mouse is used.
- Bugfix: incorrect scaling of 16-bit PNG files.
New in version 12.11 (November 3rd, 2012)
- Simplify world map zoom/pan/scroll: now works more like image files.
- Simplify the display of images from a clicked world map location.
- Icons in the favourites menu can have individual sizes up to 64x64.
- Slide Show additions:
- Select image files ad hoc from the gallery/navigator window.
- Pause slide show, open gallery, navigate elsewhere, resume slide show.
- Another animated image transition type was added, "Raindrops".
- Gallery file selection: a range of files can be selected with shift+click.
- Brightness distribution graph has separate RGB color components.
- Menu shortcuts: a new right-click popup menu offers many edit options.
- Keyboard shortcuts: use F/G/W keys to open window tabs F/G/W respectively.
- (Grid shortcut was moved to Ctrl+G, which can be changed if wanted)
- The rigid free memory check was replaced with a more flexible warning.
- Several deprecated GTK functions were replaced with sanctioned versions.
- Synchronize Files: A "cancel" button is available to temporarily bypass.
- Several minor bugs and irritations were fixed:
- Slide Show: skip over directory files instead of stopping.
- Leverage Edits: stop erratic results from a strongly sloped curve.
- Resize: prevent tiny image size that can cause a crash.
- Stop loop if Prev/Next button is used after the last file was deleted.
- Stop image files from appearing twice in the search index file.
New in version 12.10 (October 1st, 2012)
- The user manual and F1 help are now available in Castilian Spanish.
- The search index was revised for greater scalability. Metadata edits and related image searching should remain fast beyond 500K images. A fresh resync of the search index will be done at first startup.
- A custom graphic menu in a popup window was implemented. Frequently used functions can be added and the layout arranged to taste.
- RAW files can be opened in Ufraw (via menu or gallery thumbnail click).
- A more precise world map was implemented (a new download will be required when a geotag function is used).
- Large image files open 30% faster and memory consumption is reduced.
- The batch RAW file converter now has a dialog to configure the parameters.
- Alternative pan/scroll mode: image sticks to mouse and moves with mouse.
- Stop unnecessary refreshes of the image gallery for metadata edits.
- Added support for exotic PNG formats (e.g. palletized) via the GTK library.
- Vignette bugfix: stop radius increase if vignette is moved off-center.
New in version 12.09.1 (September 4th, 2012)
- RAW files are now visible in the galleries and can be opened and edited with Fotoxx or Ufraw.
- Batch RAW conversion parameters are user configurable and the process runs faster.
- A wavelet noise reduction method was adapted from dcraw.
- A tool to fix chromatic aberration (color fringes) was added.
- Support for PNG files with 16-bit color was added.
- A world map shows the locations of geotagged images - click a location to see a corresponding image gallery, view, or edit from there.
- The vignette function was extended to brighten, darken, or colorize from any image center using a flexible response curve.
New in version 12.08 (July 30th, 2012)
- Menus now show a popup description if the mouse dwells on the menu.
- Auto-synchronization (indexing of new image files) has been made optional.
- If disabled, metadata edit and search functions are also disabled.
- These can be restored at any time by synchronizing the image files.
- The size of a printed image (centimeters) can be set in advance.
- A sepia coloring function has been added (aged photo effect).
- Painting and scrolling the gallery window has been made faster.
- Navigating the gallery window to other directories has been simplified.
- The Fotoxx website has been changed to kornelix.com/fotoxx.
New in version 12.07.1 (July 5th, 2012)
- Bugfix: World map loses mouse connection and becomes unresponsive after a left mouse click/drag is used to zoom/pan the map image.
New in version 12.07 (July 4th, 2012)
- Tabs are now used to switch between the image and gallery windows.
- List Geotag Groups by country, country/city, or country/city/date.
- Nearby dates can be grouped together. Click a listed group to get a
- corresponding thumbnail gallery, view or edit images from there.
- Click a location on a world map, get a corresponding gallery of images.
- Several small UI improvements in geotag edit and report functions.
- Bugfix: Edit Collection: removing images was sometimes not possible
- if some other images in the collection had been deleted from disk.
- Bugfix: memory leak if successive images were viewed in rapid sequence.
- Bugfix: Art > Dots treatment was destroyed when the image was saved.
- Bugfix: crash in Open Recent File if the first file had been deleted.
New in version 12.04 (April 2nd, 2012)
- Select Area by color tones works more smoothly and responsively.
- New: Retouch > Paint Pixels: optionally paint with selected background from elsewhere in the image.
- New: Retouch > Vignette Tool: change brightness or color in a radial pattern. Make an image with a dark or colored surround, or compensate for a radial brightness falloff in old photos.
- Art > Tiles: An optional 3D depth effect was added.
- Retouch > Paint Pixels: If a selected area is being used, do edge blending as in other edit functions.
- Gamma Curve: Buttons [++] etc. were added as in the brightness/color curves.
- Select Area: A "replace" drawing mode was added: nudge an existing edge line with the mouse.
- White Balance: A slider was added to attenuate the impact from 0 to 100%.
- Gallery window navigation was made a little more flexible.
- First time startup: initial thumbnail creation and image file indexing is 2x faster
- (2000+ images/minute on a strong PC with 4 cpu cores).
- New: Help > Log File: view the current (live) log file for additional information.
- Memory allocation failure: exit with a reasonable message instead of crashing.
- Bugfix: possible crash when a concurrent edit function completes.
New in version 12.02 (February 2nd, 2012)
- Fotoxx was converted to use GTK3 and Cairo. It will no longer build or install on older Linux releases lacking these libraries. For Ubuntu this means Fotoxx installs on 11.04 or later.
- Multiple (up to 10) top image directories are now supported.
- The gallery thumbnail size preference is saved and restored across sessions.
- Bugfix: crash if an image is present 2+ times in a collection and is then removed.
- Bugfix: crash in slide show "jaws" transition.
- RPM packages are now built using Fedora and rpmbuild instead of alien.
New in version 12.01.2 (January 4th, 2012)
- A Hungarian translation was added.
- Image files can be dragged and dropped from Nautilus or other file managers.
New in version 12.01 (January 2nd, 2012)
- New function Search Metadata: search and report image metadata (EXIF/IPTC/etc.), using a combined image and text display format.
- Synchronize Files is 2x faster for an initial installation or after importing a large number of new photos (>1000/min. on a fast PC).
- The "my mouse" checkbox was removed from all edit and selection dialogs. The mouse belongs to the last widget clicked. The main window can be zoomed and scrolled during such dialogs by using CTRL + mouse click or drag.
- Mouse wheel can do zoom-in and zoom-out.
- Zooming an image re-centers it on the mouse position, and the mouse position follows the zoom center to the middle of the window.
- Zoom ratio is configurable: choose 1-4 zooms for each 2x increase in size.
- DRGB (print color adjuster) can save corrections to a file for re-use.
- Some user settings in various menus were collected together in the new menu function Tools > User Settings.
- Bugfix: Search Image was finding false matches for images with very large caption or comments.
- Bugfix: cannot escape file open dialog if open previous or open recent is attempted when there are no previous files (initial installation).
- Bugfix: interactive GUI translation function failed to initialize.
New in version 11.12.1 (December 4th, 2011)
- The Italian GUI translation was updated.
- The method for finding translation files was made more flexible: a locale of 'lc_RC' will look for this .po file first, and if not found look for a .po file for 'lc' alone.
New in version 11.11.1 (November 6th, 2011)
- Bugfix: crash in vertical panorama.
- Bugfix: crash after moving images to trash followed by "Open Recent Files".
- Restore lost user feedback for functions running more than a few seconds.
New in version 11.10 (October 3rd, 2011)
- New function: classic gamma curve edit for brightness and individual RGB colors.
- Applicable to the whole image or a selected object/area.
- Printing was revised to work better with recent changes in HPLIP that made printing on small paper sizes more difficult. The paper size must be specified in the Printer Properties dialog (the printer admin function) and not in the application program - otherwise the print fails with a "paper mismatch" error. This changed between Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04.
- New function: convert a "tetragon" image area into a rectangle. Useful for gallery paintings photographed from the side to avoid reflections, buildings photographed at an angle, etc.
- At startup, check for new files and advise if synchronization is needed.
- New option: warn if overwriting an original (non-versioned) image file.
- Slide Show: stop strange behavior when multiple monitors are used.
- Slide Show: option to show only the most recent version of each image.
- Slide Show: use spacebar to pause and resume slide show.
- Pixel Edit: transparency adjustment steps were made finer.
- Code cleanup for new compiler warnings from GCC 4.6 (Ubuntu 11.10).
New in version 11.09 (September 2nd, 2011)
- Print Image File now allows print margins to be set.
- The Portuguese translation was brought up to date.
- Show RGB: labels on monitored image points were made optional.
- Gallery: larger font for file names is used when large thumbnails are used.
- Edit Captions and Edit User Comments were combined into one function.
- File Open will discard a preceding search result or named collection.
- The user is notified and may proceed or cancel.
- File > Open (menu and toolbar) can now open a RAW file (as tiff-16).
- The batch conversion function remains available.
- CPU load monitor on status bar now includes subprocesses.
- Smart Erase: improved algorithm gives better results in some cases.
- Panorama: image overlap requirement was relaxed.
- Minor source code changes were made for better BSD compatibility.
- Bugfix: Flatten: fix uneven conversion of pixels with max. brightness.
- Bufgix: crash if Tools > Add Menu is started and then canceled.
- Bugfix: minor memory leak.
New in version 11.08 (August 1st, 2011)
- An Italian user guide has been added. Thank you, Doriano.
- New function DRGB: change brightness and color balance using OD units.
- Revise_RGB: added delta mode (show +/- changes from original image).
- Show RGB: added EV and OD units, delta mode, and pixel labels on image.
- Slide Show: two image transition types were added, "radar" and "jaws".
- Slide Show: preferred image transitions can now be selected and are remembered.
- A single RAW file can now be opened like any other image file (only needs more time). Batch conversion remains an option to process many files automatically.
- Delete Area was renamed to Unselect Area (reduce ambiguity).
- If multiple dialogs are open, the F1 help topic is determined by the last dialog actually used.
- Bugfix: invalidate a select-area if Undo/Redo changes the image size.
- Bugfix: Create Blank Image was getting leftover EXIF data from a prior image.
- Bugfix: buffer overflow crash in Russian locale, due to a long translation string. Several other vulnerable places were indentified and fixed.
- Bug workaround: crash from GCC 4.5 optimization removing necessary code. Do-nothing code referencing the relevant variable was added to prevent this.
- Annoyance fix: rapid repetition of prev/next buttons or arrow keys was sometimes causing a "function still active" popup message which had to be dismissed.
- Current bug: On Ubuntu 11.04 Fotoxx refuses to print with small paper formats (A5, A6). Ubuntu 10.10 works OK. I cannot fix this.
New in version 11.07 (July 3rd, 2011)
- Translation updates will be notified here when they are ready.
- The main image retouch functions can now be used in parallel.
- The last position of most windows is saved and restored within and across sessions.
- New function Match Colors: take a spot color sample from two images.
- The colors of the 2nd image are changed to match the first.
- New function Revise RGB: select up to 9 control pixels on an image and adjust their RGB values. All image pixels are adjusted to match, using weights based on distance from the control pixels. Use this function to make complex color adjustments that vary across the image.
- Brightness Ramp was revised to handle RGB colors. This is an alternative method to remove a color caste that varies across an image or image area.
- Tools > Show RGB: EV and OD units are output in addition to RGB values. Up to five points are shown, updated live as the image is edited.
- The Brightness/Color curves now have a range of +/-2 EV (F-stops) and the stepwise adjust buttons are calibrated in 0.1 EV steps. Steps 1/3 this size can also be used. Use this function with Show RGB to make calibrated color adjustments.
- Numeric feedback was added to the sliders in retouch edit functions.
- Missing gallery thumbnails are generated 2-3x faster (on multi-core processors) using multiple threads working ahead of need (usually).
- Clone (new window) now has two variants: share desktop 50/50 or open a new window of the same size, slightly offset for visibility.
- Open File now has two variants: use the same window or open a new window in a parallel instance of Fotoxx.
- New toolbar button: save file as a new version (immediate, no dialog).
- The current image and its edit history remain unchanged.
- Save-As menu and toolbar: new checkbox option to switch the current file to the saved file. The edit trail (undo/redo) is also retained.
- New command line parameters:
- -prev open the last file viewed in the previous session (no longer default).
- -recent start with a gallery of recent files (most recent at top).
- If the [undo] or [redo] button is pressed with the shift-key, they become "undo all" and "redo all". This makes it easier to compare an image having multiple edits with the original image.
- Select Area [Unfinish] button: put a finished area back in edit mode.
- Pixel Edit was moved from the Art menu to the Retouch menu.
- Hourglass cursor was replaced with a BUSY sign at the bottom of the window.
- Toolbar help is a topic help like F1. Menu help opens the user guide.
- Bugfix: warp functions were infrequently putting artifacts in the image.
- Bugfix: Edit Collections could crash if adds and deletes were mixed.
- Bugfix: Select Area Edge Calculation: if killed by user, the area was left in a half finished condition.
New in version 11.06.1 (June 10th, 2011)
- Bugfix: A hole was closed that could cause a crash if a selected area is deleted while an edit function is open and active.
New in version 11.06 (June 3rd, 2011)
- Smart Erase and Remove Dust were made slightly more effective.
- Brightness/Color retouching and Tone Mapping were made 25-40% faster.
- Retouching brightness/color by "painting" with the mouse (dodge and burn) was made much faster (nearly instant response on a fast computer).
- If at startup the previous image file is no longer present then a gallery of the 100 most recent files viewed is shown.
- New function: Tools > Toolbar Style: set to text, icons, or both.
- New function: Tools > Edit Translation: edit translations interactively as Fotoxx is being used. Changes are immediately effective in the running program.
- Several other small usability improvements were made.
- Minor bugfix: paste area edge blending was losing 1 pixel around the edge
New in version 11.05.1 (May 3rd, 2011)
- A new function was added to remove the dark spots on images made from dusty slides.
- Named image collections are easier to manage: images can be added, removed, and rearranged by clicking images on a thumbnail gallery.
- The trim (crop) function better handles zoom and scroll, and a desired image size can be input directly in addition to the mouse drag method.
- Smart Erase was made faster (significant for slow computers).
- Select Area edge distance calculations for hairy edges was made over 2x faster.
- Two minor bugs were fixed.
New in version 11.04 (April 1st, 2011)
- Vertical Panorama was added.
- Previously, this was possible but clumsy.
- Slide Show can play a music file or playlist, and can be launched from the command line.
- Initialization for first-time installs was simplified.
- Smart Erase was made easier and faster by combining the select and erase functions in one dialog.
- The 100K limit on the number of image files was removed.
- Select by Color can more easily select an object with varying edge tones and contrasts.
- Several other minor improvements and three bug fixes were made.
New in version 11.03.1 (March 14th, 2011)
- Three bugs were fixed, two of which can cause Fotoxx to crash.
New in version 11.02 (February 1st, 2011)
- New function: Apply retouch functions to any area of the image using the mouse. Vary radius and strength of edit. Apply incrementally.
- Area cut and paste: edge effects are more effectively suppressed and the pasted area/object can be rotated as well as resized.
- Curve edit (image retouch functions): curve data can be saved to a file or loaded from a file as part of the curve edit dialog.
- New function: Smart Erase: erase power lines and other small defects by replacing them with pixels from the neighborhood.
- New functions: Make Image Collection and Open Image Collection. Images may be assigned to named collections. A collection can be recalled and used for a slide-show, export, etc.
- New function: Combine multiple photos of the same subject taken at different times. Remove tourists and cars that come and go.
- Panorama pre-align was simplified (please check the user guide).
- Tag Edit and Tag Management were separated to simplify operation.
- New 1-time function: Tools > Fix Tag Delimiters: make tags (keywords) compatible with Photoshop. Other photo managers may not be compatible. This is optional and can be done at any time without affecting Fotoxx.
- Art > Dots: dot rows are offset by 1/2 dot pitch, which looks better.
- Expand Brightness Range: use sliders and show brightness histogram.
- 1-time function to rebuild thumbnails now has a fast incremental mode.
- Obsolete functions removed: convert old tag and parameter formats (if you have startup problems, delete /home//.fotoxx).
- Bugfix: Edit Info function could not be canceled before using it.
- Bugfix: Edit Info (metadata) limit raised from 100 to 1000 characters.
- Bugfix: Stop meaningless EXIF diagnostic when a blank image is created.
- Bugfix: Annotate crash if font set to tiny and then increased.
- tags_index file was renamed to search_index.
New in version 11.01.2 (January 10th, 2011)
- Bugfix: select whole image was not working. What went wrong between testing and release is a mystery, but now it is fixed.
New in version 11.01 (January 3rd, 2011)
- Brightness or color can be used to regulate retouch functions.
- For example, you can apply noise reduction to darker image areas (or the inverse).
- An image can be converted into a dot array à la Roy Lichtenstein.
- Slide Show now has some cute transitions: fade-out/fade-in and various kinetic replacements.
- The 100 most recent images can be displayed in a gallery window, making it easier to return to a desired image.
- Batch tag functions have popup windows to monitor progress.
- A mashup can be made using cutouts from other images and text annotations.
- A few more user interface improvements and minor bug fixes are included.
New in version 10.12 (December 2nd, 2010)
- This version has several user interface improvements and speedups.
- It is easier to pan and zoom when an edit function is using the mouse.
- Select Area works better and left drag can be used for "unselect".
- Image captions and comments have an editor interface.
- Search can find all images with given words in captions or comments.
- "Match any" or "all" can be specified separately for all search criteria.
- Dialogs needing more time show an hourglass.
- The Clone function splits the screen 50/50 between two images.
- Two minor bugs were fixed.
- Responsiveness for slow CPUs was improved.
New in version 10.11.1 (November 3rd, 2010)
- Annotate Image: Color and transparency can be specified for both text and background. Watermarks can also be made. Annotation data can be saved in a file, so annotations can be kept and re-used.
- New function: Warp Image (linear): an alternative way to compensate for perspective distortions.
- Edit functions operating within a small area were made more responsive for slow computers: Warp Area, Paste Area, Annotate Image, Edit Pixels.
- Grid lines: horizontal and vertical line spacing or line counts can be specified. Line counts are constant regardless of image size. Ctrl+G key toggles grid lines on/off.
- Pixel edit now works within a selected area. This makes it easy to paint inside an area without taking care around the edges.
- Select Area by Color has an optional "firewall" mode: already-selected pixels block the propagation of newly-selected pixels.
- A few more small convenience improvements were made: Buttons in the Select Area dialog were made available as menu functions with their own F1 help topics. Dialog boxes open near the upper right corner of the main window instead of in the middle. New function: File > Open Previous: go back to the previous file (where you were before a File > Open or Save As).
- Bugfix: a corrupted parameters file could cause a crash.
New in version 10.10.2 (October 15th, 2010)
- "Edit EXIF User Comments" and "Annotate Image" (write text directly on image) were split into separate functions to simplify a confusing interface.
- The EXIF descriptive text can also be displayed in a small live window as images are viewed (also in Slide Show mode).
- Annotate Image works faster, especially for netbooks.
- The Trim (crop) aspect ratio buttons can be customized.
- The Italian and Dutch translations were updated.
New in version 10.10 (October 1st, 2010)
- New function Annotate Image: Descriptive text can be edited and viewed in a live window updated with each new image opened, or written directly on the image using any font, size and rotation.
- New function E-mail: Select multiple images, downsize within specified limits, and e-mail using the preferred e-mail program.
- And a few other minor improvements.
New in version 10.9.1 (September 13th, 2010)
- When using "save as", filenames like xxx.yyy.jpg are no longer truncated to xxx.jpg.
- A set of files generated by searching tags is no longer discarded if a member file is opened, saved, renamed, or trashed.
New in version 10.9 (September 2nd, 2010)
- This release added functions for combining multiple noisy photos to make a low-noise image, making a B/W or color negative, or a positive from a negative, and batch deleting or replacing user tags.
- The Brightness/Contrast curve edit can better preserve detail in areas brightened to saturation.
- The other Retouch curve edits are generally 30% faster.
- Search Tags can now be used to create a set of images to choose from for a following batch operation.
- HDR and HDF automatically trim edges where all input images do not overlap.
- Six other small improvements and four bugfixes were made.
New in version 10.8.4 (August 19th, 2010)
- The German and Italian translations were updated.
- A greater variety of TIFF formats are supported.
- ICC Profile data is included in the metadata (such as EXIF) that is retained across an image edit.
- Two bugs were fixed: some metadata was being lost across an image edit, and rapid pressing of the toolbar [next] button could lead to application lockup.
New in version 10.8 (August 2nd, 2010)
- A Portuguese translation was added.
- New: mass resize images (for website photo upload, e-mail, etc.).
- The new Linux standard trash is used for trashed images.
- Select Area: follow-edge method: works better for jagged edges.
- Select Area: select by color: faster and easier control of selection.
- Thumbnail gallery: added a "list view" option (no thumbnails).
- Live help via F1 key is now available for all functions.
- HDR/HDF/pano align/warp: handle larger image misalignments more accurately.
- HDF interface for fine alignment was made more intuitive.
- View/edit EXIF: easier to process a series of images, e.g. add text comments.
- Mass add tags: use image gallery window instead of file chooser dialog.
- Save-as with "new version" checked: use the highest existing version 1.
- Minor improvement in warp area algorithm.
- Bugfix: convert RAW: popup report sometimes omitted a converted file.
- Bugfix: an image saved as tiff-8 was actually being saved as tiff-16.
- Bugfix: sporadic crash if a selected area touches an image edge.
- Bugfix: the color of all edit curves could change sporadically.
- Bugfix: HDR/HDF sporadically showed a partially black image.
- Bugfix: image_gallery: if first directory opened is empty and "parent" is selected, crash.
New in version 10.7 (July 9th, 2010)
- The composite image functions were reworked to extend functionality and improve the user interface. There is more use of multiple threads to utilize multiple processor cores.
- Panorama: Join up to four images (previously two). Drag small images to rearrange. Brightness and color balance can be changed for any image after the panorama is completed, and the others can be matched automatically and/or manually adjusted.
- HDF (high depth of field): Up to 9 images can be joined (previously 2). After automatic alignment is complete, the images can be dragged and warped to tweak their alignments if needed. This can compensate for camera movement between photos and for image size differences caused by their different focal lengths.
- HDR (high dynamic range) now warps the images if needed for more precise alignment. This compensates for camera movement or rotation betweem photos, causing non-linear distortions. A greater amount of shift or rotation between images can be handled more accurately.
- Bugfix: After reporting an error, mass-rename proceeded anyway.
- Mass-rename: The "-" separator between the base name and sequence number was removed. The user can supply whatever is wanted, or nothing.
- The startup dependency check for ufraw was changed to ufraw-batch.
New in version 10.6.1 (June 8th, 2010)
- A subtle bug in panorama image alignment was fixed. This caused a small shift at the joint near the center of the image, especially if there was a significant rotation, horizon shift, or lens distortion.
New in version 10.6 (June 8th, 2010)
- Fotoxx 10.6 has a few minor improvements and bug fixes.
- Search Tags was made more consistent with other tag functions: tags are added and removed from the search list with mouse clicks and the [clear] button was removed.
- HDR: The selected images to combine no longer need to include the current image.
- File Save-as: A "make new version" check box was added. The image is saved with a new version number, which makes it easier to save an edited image and keep the original. Subsequent saves create increasing version numbers.
- Bugfix: Edit Tags "admin mode" could be quietly ON even though the checkbox was OFF.
- Bugfix: The image gallery window was sometimes not fully rendered (easy to compensate but annoying).
New in version 10.5 (June 3rd, 2010)
- A Dutch translation was added to the GUI.
- The thumbnail browser is faster and smoother (cpu load is 60% less).
- Tags now have categories (people, places, events...) to help organize them and to find and select tags more quickly during image editing. This improves the practicality of having hundreds of tags. The user interface was revised - use F1 to view the user guide.
- Rotated images are uprighted automatically when an edit is started or an image is added to an HDR/HDF/panorama. Formerly this was done only with image viewing.
New in version 10.4 (May 25th, 2010)
- The panorama function obtains lens focal length from the EXIF data if available (lens distortion, if significant, is still a manual adjustment). The thumbnail image browser is faster, and a scroll bar was added as an alternative to paging. The maximum thumbnail size was doubled to 512x512. An "essentials" section was added to the user guide, a very short explanation of non-intuitive features, accessed from a toolbar button (for those who hate large user guides).
New in version 10.3.1 (May 18th, 2010)
- A German user guide has been added but not yet complete.
- A Russian translation was added and the Chinese translation updated.
- Replace fat GTK dialog completion buttons with thin ones to save space.
- Undo/Redo faster: use saved image instead of repeating edit function.
- Add focal length (35mm equivalent) to View EXIF basic data.
- Add missing F1 context help to White Balance function.
- Mass file rename now has a status/progress window.
- Two shortcut keys added: T = Trim (Crop), B = Brightness/Color tune.
- Trim: width/height ratio can be inverted with a button.
- Gridlines function extended: separate x and y line counts, independent of image size, held constant during interactive trim (crop) function.
- Bugfix: zoom + some edit functions caused a width/height distortion.
- Bugfix: print function: resolution increased from 72 to 300 dpi.
- Bugfix: rename functions: keep original file date and owner.
- Bugfix: two minor memory leaks were plugged.
- Bugfix: delete EXIF tag failed for filenames containing blanks.
- Bugfix: trim was not always holding the set width/height ratio.
- Bugfix: if panorama was started with a zoomed image, the image displayed too small during the initial alignment stages.
New in version 10.2.1 (May 3rd, 2010)
- Swedish GUI translation added.
New in version 10.2 (April 25th, 2010)
- Fotoxx 10.2 adds a few minor features and user-interface improvements. A history of edits made on an image is recorded using the EXIF key Edit Status. The View EXIF function updates itself when a new file is opened in the browser. Two new functions were added: add or modify an EXIF key, and delete a specific key or all EXIF data. Undo/redo was added to White Balance. Blend-width was added to the Tile function. Tone Mapping was made about 30% faster for multi-core processors, and progress tracking was added to improve feedback for slow processors. Two minor bugs were fixed.
New in version 10.1.1 (April 14th, 2010)
- Bugfix: crash on launch if saved state file was from a fotoxx v.9 release.
- Bugfix: pano align image was small if starting from a zoomed image.
- Bugfix: for installation in /home/user/ the menu and launcher did not work.
- Convert RAW files made 30% faster on multi-core processors.
New in version 10.1 (April 13th, 2010)
- Tone-mapping within an area reacts live to the blend-width slider.
- The tone-map edit scale is matched to the contrast range of the image.
- Tone mapping is up to 50% faster, especially for single core processors.
- The brightness ramp function now works within a select area.
- New retouch function: clip low/high brightness levels, expand the middle.
- Trim: buttons were added to set popular aspect ratios.
- Trim: if the selection is moved off the edge, it is rescaled to the user-set aspect ratio.
- If an edit is started and a select area is not finished or enabled, the user is warned.
- The function busy indicator (clock cursor) was made more obvious.
- Changing the GUI language from within the GUI was simplified.
New in version 10.0 (April 7th, 2010)
- The EXIF key for user-defined tags was changed to be compatible with most other (Windows) programs that also use tags. A conversion function is provided which should be run before any new image editing is done. A warning at startup is given. See menu: Help > README for details. Bugfix: block the editing of thumbnails and prevent thumbnails of thumbnails from being created. Bugfix: stop small memory leak when new thumbnails are created for new or edited images.
New in version 9.9 (March 26th, 2010)
- Tonemap gradient method was made easier to use and a little faster. Other tonemap functions have been removed because the gradient method is stronger and more flexible.
- Select Area copy and paste was extended to allow areas to be saved as files and read back later to paste into other images.
- Other minor fixes and interface improvements.
New in version 9.8.1 (March 23rd, 2010)
- Bugfix: using the [x] button to cancel tonemap-local2 caused a menu lockout.
New in version 9.8 (March 21st, 2010)
- Tone mapping: a gradient-based method was added, replacing a weaker method. The FreeImage dependency was removed, which simplifies installing from source as well as package creation. A 3rd sharpen method was added: amplify brightness gradients. Bugfix: F1 context help was not working for the select area dialog. The select area outline color can be toggled red/green/black.
New in version 9.7 (March 7th, 2010)
- New function: add multiple tags to many images at once.
- New function: rename many files at once using a base name and sequence.
- Select area upgrades: select multiple areas, combine line-drawing and object/color clicking, easy undo and unselect.
- Paste area: always paste within the visible window, don't lose the cursor grip when dragging a pasted area at high speed.
- Curve edit: don't lose the cursor grip when dragging a node at high speed.
- Revised the window update logic to stop CPU hog with fvwm window manager.
- Bugfix: burn CD/DVD: when editing the list of files, the wrong file was sometimes selected.
- The limits for number and and size of tags were doubled.
New in version 9.6 (February 23rd, 2010)
- Tonemap: calculations are >10x faster.
- Sharpen (unsharp mask): calculations are >2x faster.
- Added another tone-mapping method.
- Convert RAW files: don't let progress window hide behind main window.
- Workaround for gtk_file_chooser bug: stop auto-select 1st file in a folder.
- Gallery window: simplify navigation to another folder.
- Use .jpeg instead of .png for intermediate print file - much faster.
- Select area logic simplified in preparation for future add/subtract areas.
New in version 9.5 (February 2nd, 2010)
- Curve edits: stop unintended node creation with rapid mouse drag.
- Tonemap 2: use full size image for calculations (slower but better).
- Tomemap 3: new function: enhance local contrast with halo suppression.
- Grid Lines: new function: grid lines for unbend/rotate/etc. image alignment.
- HDR (2 images) was removed - new HDR (2-10 images) made it redundant.
- bugfix, file save-as: did not always reflect user file type selection in dialog widget (but worked correctly).
New in version 9.4 (January 18th, 2010)
- New: print an image file using conventional GTK print functions.
- Bugfix: killing a running function could cause malfunctions later.
- The brightness/color (curve edit) dialog was made more compact.
- The file save-as dialog updates the displayed file type if the user changes the default choice.
New in version 9.3 (January 13th, 2010)
- New function: image warp using affine transformation, interactive.
- New function: vary brightness across the image (fix vignetting and other issues).
- Improved: initial blending for 3 or more HDR input images.
- Improved: Brightness histogram has greater resolution and an x-axis scale.
- Rotate was made 3x faster (affine transform instead of trig functions).
- File save-as dialog was made more clear about file type.
- Makefile: desktop-menu and manpage were made into separate targets.
New in version 9.2 (January 4th, 2010)
- Select area by color was made easier: an optional radius of action was added to quickly incorporate excluded "islands" or push-out area edges. Area edge calculation and blending was made into a separate dialog. The defog function was removed - it duplicated the functions of the brightness and color saturation curves, and also the new tone mapping functions produce better results. For the Blur function, the minimum blur radius was reduced to 0.5 pixels, which is barely perceptible. Two bugs were fixed: (1) Tone mapping with edge blending was causing some pure black pixels to turn white. (2) The edge of a mouse-selected area which also hugs an image edge was not being omitted for the purporse of edge blending.
New in version 9.1 (December 24th, 2009)
- Two varieties of tone mapping functions were added. These can be used to enhance detail at all brightness levels and are especially useful for retouching HDR composite images. Bugfix: sharpen via unsharp mask was ignoring the threshold input.
New in version 9.0 (December 14th, 2009)
- The HDR function can now merge up to 10 images. Input image contributions can be adjusted while viewing a live output image. An example can be seen in the screenshots link above.
- Convert RAW Files was revised to use a standard dialog to select one or more files.
- Context help via F1 key was added to most dialogs - shows the relevant section of the user guide in a popup window which runs parallel.
New in version 8.8 (December 1st, 2009)
- The methods to select an area within an image for subsequent editing have been extended: connect lines point to point using mouse clicks (as before), freehand line drawing using the mouse (new), and click/drag near an edge to follow the edge (new). All three methods can be freely mixed. Use right click to undo the last few seconds of work, or right drag to erase a segment before re-drawing it. Selecting an area by color and range, and accumulating such selections, is another option but cannot be mixed with the line-drawing methods.
- A selected area (object) can be copied and pasted into the same or another image. The pasted object can be rescaled and edge-blended with the target image. The calculation of edge distances within a selected area has been made much faster (over 10x for large areas). This is used for blending edits at the edges and blending pasted areas with the background.
- New edit function: flip (mirror) an image horizontally or vertically.
- Edited files can now be saved in PNG format as well as JPEG, TIFF-8, and TIFF-16.
- Bug fix: The latest Ubuntu (9.10) revealed two new problems so far: A GDK graphic context shared by multiple windows can get their sizes mixed-up. The program exiftool no longer accepts a date without a time appended. Fotoxx was adjusted to get around both problems.
- Bug fix: image search by date could omit the first date in a range.
New in version 8.6.2 (November 13th, 2009)
- Bugfix: crash if gallery folder opened after fresh install.
- Translation updates for Spanish, Galician.
New in version 8.6.1 (October 27th, 2009)
- Area blend width: notify user if edge calculation is missing.
- Pano align: fix small image shift on the right side of the joint (from v.8.5).
New in version 8.6 (October 14th, 2009)
- An automatic white balance function was added.
- The success rate for 1-click red-eye removal was raised from 47/54 test cases to 52/54 (drag method is 100% successful but needs more time and care).
- Convience buttons were added to the HDR final adjustment dialog.
- A Spanish translation was added for the User Guide "quick guide" section.
- Bugfix: Image navigation could crash when opening an empty folder.
- Bugfix: Zoom-in followed by some edit functions caused the image to be displayed with a false width/height ratio (cosmetic only - edit worked normally).
New in version 8.5.2 (October 8th, 2009)
- Bugfix: looping in retouch function if colors are oversaturated.
New in version 8.5.1 (October 7th, 2009)
- Bugfix: crash in invert area function (32-bit build only).
- Improved documentation for select area edge calculation and blend width control.
- Updated French translation.
New in version 8.5 (October 5th, 2009)
- A new function was added to select an area by color. This lets you click to select a contiguous area matching the clicked color within a controlled range.
- You can click or drag to accumulate new areas.
- A right-click will undo.
- Edit functions can then be used within the selected area.
- Panorama was improved to better compensate image scale changes due to a horizon difference or relative rotation in the images being joined.
- Auto-search for camera parameters was made more robust.
- A new method for noise reduction was added, based on variance.
- Blend-width control was made non-linear for better control of small values.
New in version 8.4.1 (September 14th, 2009)
- An Italian translation was added.
- The Trim function user interface was improved.
New in version 8.4 (September 13th, 2009)
- Slide Show: added auto interval in addition to KB control.
- Change cursor to clock icon during long computations.
- Trim: darken margins to remove for better visibility.
- Trim: allow fixed aspect ratio and change margins accordingly.
- Index tags and thumbnails: now works incrementally (much faster).
- Bugfix: axis-lines were not erased after unbend function.
- Bugfix: Save-as file was not added to recent files list.
New in version 8.3 (September 2nd, 2009)
- Select area: insert or move nodes anywhere around the polygon
- Overlay lines and ellipses are easier to see
- Pixel edit and HDF: brush outline to boost speed and precision
- Retain list of recent files across sessions
- New function to assist photo de-fogging
- Save button: update original file with no dialog
- KB shortcuts: Ctrl+s: Save, Ctrl+S: Save-as, Ctrl+q: Quit
- Improved logic for detecting unsaved changes (less nagging)
- Rotate: [undo trim] button added
- Bug Fixes:
- Temporary file left stranded in ~/.fotoxx/
- Rotate 20degrees with auto-trim caused a crash
- Rotate with L/R keys edit could result in distortion
- Edit tags file save lost the update (but open new file kept it)
- Rotate trim was being lost when dialog exited
- Better recovery if pixel edit undo memory limit is reached
New in version 8.1 (August 20th, 2009)
- Bugfix: saving an edited image back to the same file caused loss of EXIF data.
- Bugfix: the [zoom+] button would sometimes display a smaller image.
- Corrected the man page location when installing to a user-owned directory.
- Improved panorama auto-search for lens parameters.
- Tag edit: dating a series of images was made easier with a [use last] button.
- Tag edit: allow date approximations, e.g. 2009 or 2009.08.
- New convenience function: open file by choosing from 50 most recent files.
- The Chinese and French translations were updated.
New in version 8.0 (August 4th, 2009)
- New function: high depth of field (HDF): combine two photos with near and far focus into a composite image with both near and far objects in focus. See examples in the screenshots link above. Read the user guide before trying.
- Other changes: A man page was added. The license was changed from GPL v2 to v3. The warp image algorithm was improved.
New in version 7.7.1 (July 27th, 2009)
- Bugfix: looping (frozen screen) in HDR or Panorama.
New in version 7.7 (July 23rd, 2009)
- Fixed slow dotted-line drag in trim function.
- Fixed broken EXIF view for non-English locales.
- French translation was updated.
- Panorama and HDR have small speed improvements (28% and 14% resp.).
- The following functions were converted to use parallel threads on multi-core CPUs: sharpen, reduce noise, unbend.
New in version 7.6 (July 20th, 2009)
- The Chinese translation was updated and a Czech translation was added. The select area function was made easier to use. This function can now be suspended and resumed using a button. This frees the mouse for zooming or scrolling the image during the area selection process. Another button was added to show or hide the area outline while image edit functions are being applied to the area.
New in version 7.5 (July 13th, 2009)
- Simulate painting now works within an outlined area like other edit functions.
- Another user control was added: minimum color match required to consolidate smaller patches of color into larger ones.
- File drag-drop was implemented: drag a file (e.g. from Nautilus) to a fotoxx window or desktop launcher, and file will open in fotoxx.
- Dragging a text filespec will also work.
- Scrolling around in a large image that is zoomed to full size is now about 4x faster.
- There are no scroll bars - scroll by dragging the mouse across the window ("virtual" scroll bars).
- EXIF data: view basic data (short output) or all data (long output).
- Translations were updated for German, French, Spanish, and Galician.
- Several other UI improvements and bug fixes were implemented
New in version 7.2 (June 22nd, 2009)
- A new function was added: select random images from thumbnail indexes, edit sequence, burn to CD or DVD. Brasero is used for the actual burn.
New in version 6.8 (May 15th, 2009)
- The Tune Image function was made more functional: adjustment of color intensity, saturation, and RGB balance can optionally depend on pixel brightness (e.g. one can increase saturation for darker image areas more than for brighter areas). A new function "tiles" has been added: transform image or selected area into tiles (pixelate). The paint function (pixel edit) user interface has been improved.
- Bug fixes:
- Edit of auto-uprighted image: un-rotate before edit (edit using actual image orientation).
- Crash if undo/redo buttons pressed in rapid succession without waiting for image update.
- Memory leak from multiple edits of one image.
New in version 6.7.3 (May 12th, 2009)
- Fotoxx now uses the pixbuf library for saving jpeg files instead of FreeImage.
- Output quality can now be set 1-100 instead of good/better/best.
- FreeImage is still used for tiff output.
- 6.7.3 is an update of the Spanish and Galician translations.
New in version 6.7 (May 5th, 2009)
- adapt to new ufraw command syntax
- new function: transform photo into simulated line drawing, black on white or reverse
- new function: transform photo into simulated embossing on shiny metal
- new function: edit pixels with color picker, variable brush and variable edge blending
- search for images using /path/file in addition to tags, with wildcards used anywhere
- 1 significant and 3 minor bug fixes
New in version 6.4.2 (April 8th, 2009)
- 3 significant and 5 minor bug fixes
- scroll bars removed (drag mouse anywhere on image)
- menu function to change GUI language
- 3 more edit functions use fast preview
- progress feedback added to long-running functions
- minor speed improvements
- packages available for recent Ubuntu releases
New in version 6.1.3 (March 14th, 2009)
- updates translations for French and Chinese (PRC)
New in version 6.1.2 (March 14th, 2009)
- fixes several minor bugs (see change log)
New in version 6.1 (March 3rd, 2009)
- Edit most camera RAW files.
- Edit 48 bits/pixel (16 bits/color).
- Better GUI (movable spline curve) for brightness and HDR weight adjustments.
- Rotated images are automatically turned upright.
- Level a tilted image with the mouse.
- Undo/redo memory moved to disk, limit raised to 50 edits.
- Only two parameters to set for panoramas.
- Rename a series of files with base name + sequence number.
- Easier method to fix perspective problems.
- CHECK README before building.
New in version 5.10 (February 11th, 2009)
- Several bug fixes and minor improvements have been made.
- A Chinese translation has been added, and the Spanish and Galician translations updated.
New in version 5.8 (January 6th, 2009)
- Visual feedback for brightness/contrast/color edits was made faster.
- Erratic mouse drag in warp function was fixed.
- Color balance was separated from brightness/whiteness adjustments.
- Bug fix: last translation in a .po file sometimes got comment appended.
- Sharpen, blur and noise reduction, when applied within an image area, can blend the boundaries.
- Added a modified "top hat" noise reduction method, which is more effective for some types of noise.
New in version 5.7 (December 2nd, 2008)
- invert selected area: subsequent edits modify all but the selected area
- tags edit: assign "star" ratings to images, search by star rating
- translation system converted to use Gnu gettext (the Linux norm)
- user guide reorganized to be more friendly to the RTFM inhibited
- added auto-crop button to rotate
- corrected minor bug in color-intensify function
- fixed slow mouse tracking problem for PCs with slow graphics
New in version 5.6 (November 17th, 2008)
- Greek GUI translation
- New function: intensify color without changing brightness
- Search images by date (in addition to tags/keywords)
- Color edit functions can be used with select area and blend width
- Fixed tag edit bug when using older version of exiv2
- Save and restore window and thumbnail size across sessions
- Ask for confirmation if a read-only image is moved to trash
- A few minor bug fixes and interface improvements
New in version 5.5 (November 2nd, 2008)
- Red-eye methods consolidated and improved (not perfect, to be continued). Remember last image opened in prior session and return there. Internal improvements for robustness and maintainability. Mouse functions made more responsive for slower CPUs. Minor improvements in user messages.
New in version 5.3 (September 18th, 2008)
- Minor improvements were made in the user interface for panoramas, pan, and zoom.
New in version 5.2 (August 31st, 2008)
- A printing capability has been added.
- Print one or more images on a page with flexible layout and text annotations.
- Uses sister application printoxx.