May 28th, 2013
· Bug fixes in the automatic date and time configuration
· If you move to another country it is automatically detected and your time is updated to the new location
· Updated firmwares to support a wider range of wifi's and other devices
· Automatic detection of lvm devices inside crypted filesystem
· Fixed a bug with thumblerd process, which can sometimes block devices from unmounting
May 6th, 2013
· Updated to the stable release of Debian Wheezy
· Engage now works much better with composite and non-composite modes
· noop scheduler configured by default for SSD disks if they are detected
· Updatd to the last terminology version 0.3
· Online applications added like: khan academy, tedx, and codeschools which is a friendly way to introduce and learn programming languages
· Improved autodetection for user language
April 18th, 2013
· Automatic language and timezone configurations based on your physical location
· E17 updated to the new released version with lots of bugfixes
· E17 improvings in the automated positioning of windows in the desktop
· Suspend ready
· Fixed an important bug in the e17 menus
· Fixed a bug with Intel cards when the screen is blanking
March 29th, 2013
· Google Talk plugin included, you can now do calls with voice and video
· Very much improved way to connect to the internet, with sorting by signal and a complete set of features for any need
· Improved elive tools, with detection of your city and timezones without requiring a GPS
· E17 fixes for keyboard, GL detection and Night mode
March 8th, 2013
· Completed redesign of the Focus system
· Special mode for e17 called night reading, which inverts the colors of your screen making the reading much more comfortable
· Created another mode called sleep, which turns your computer off in a specific time of the day or in a countdown value, configurable for each day and with different types of halting
· Moved from xine to vlc for playing DVDs
· Integrated compatibility of different file-managers with the default one
· Zenity sizes of the box fixed
February 22nd, 2013
· Experimental redesign of the focus system of Enlightenment, a better focus remember-list and the ability to remember focus across desktops
· Switch from xine to vlc
· Faster startup of e17 first configuration
· Some misc appplications added for a more complete OS
January 28th, 2013
· Multiple improvements in e17 and startup configurations
· Persistence feature where you can save your data in live mode! explained here
· Better list of languages supported with their required fonts
· Elive now supports more languages than before.
· Audio cards features including better recognition, improved volumes, mic working by default for applications like skype
· Now using syslinux to boot the ISO's, this greatly increases the number of computers Elive can boot on.
· Included new Wine version 1.5.22 to support a wider range of Windows applications.
January 13th, 2013
· The final stable release of Enlightenment 17!
· Improvements in E17 like "focus remember", or an emodule for productivity (style pomodoro with window controls)
· Composite and transparencies even in older computers without 3D accelaration, and other good features even when not in use
· Very efficient and fast overall system
· Allows for better resolution in older computers where it was once not possible to play high quality videos due to resources required (includes HD videos in h264)
· Perfect screen sincronization in video playback.
· Kernel 3.2.0 supporting older computers, which means that new computers will be supported too
· Recent and updated applications
· Lots of packages like libreoffice ready for giving a complete suite to the end-users
· Extremely useful new tools made by Elive, like: bkp, waitfor, elivepaste, showmyip, etc...
· A enlightened terminal with a great demo
March 5th, 2010
· Autolaunchers: Entirely rewrited with better stability and more features
· User Configurators: A lot of user configurators added for configure anything, like touchpad, FIXME
· Drivers: Kernel 220.127.116.11 with support of special hardware and other features like tuxonice (hibernation), reiser4, and lots more
· 3G Phones supported with 364 providers available for any country
· Look: Some things of the look are now even better than before
· Elpanel: Removed and moved everything to a more standard and unique place for the configurations
· Bluetooth supported
· Trayer included
· Shared Folders also know as samba it is directly suported in Elive in a very easy way to use, thanks LinuxNIT for these nice applications and some others too!
· USB bootable: Create your own bootable USB sticks !
· OSS compatibility for games and strange applications that doesn't support alsa
· Entrance Autologin supported
· Broadcom 43xx works now with 2 different optional drivers
· Ssh: Some handy features for ssh like special prompt coloring when you are in a ssh session so that not confuse your login, also, you can directly access to enlightenment_remote features or run things on the graphical system without need to set special variables
· Audio Configurator: If you have more than one audio card, you can select the right one at any moment!, this feature is very useful for me when I'm working on the night and I need to switch to the card that is set to my headphones. You can also play with Elive multiple audio sources without problems.
· Special Kernels: You can install on your installed Elive systems, special kernels that for example includes support for more than 4 GB of ram without the need of a 64 bit-OS, (in the nurse special mode)
· Translations: Elive supports now more languages, by default they are automatically translated, but you are welcome to collaborate with these translations by using Eltrans.
User-Friendly: Never an operating system was that easy and userfriendly to use as Elive 2.0, the list is huge, and the goal is that even senior people can use Elive 2.0 without problems. Some examples are:
· Convert: Convert files in MP3 by just selecting them in your filemanager, you can also do the same thing with the resolution of the images
· Search tool
· Screenshot tool
· Disk Usage tool
· Admin mode: If you don't know how to admin your system, you can be admin from your thunar and so manage any file or configuration of your system
Nurse: The nurse mode is a special Recovery / Repair mode full of features so that everybody can recover, fix, and repair his Elive system, for example:
· Recover Configurations: You can recover any "Elive default" configurations, like your desktop settings
· Hardware Tests to verify that your computer is working without problems
· Packages: check if your system contains all the packages included by default with Elive, if not, you may miss any feature
· Free Space on the disk
· Kernel: Install newer kernels or also with special support like more than 4gb of ram
Installer: The installer includes a lot of features like:
· Upgrade mode: Do not do a new install, just do an upgrade of your old Elive system, so that you still maintain your users, files, and everything... remember that everybody should do a periodically backup
· Migrate: Migrate any Linux system to an Elive system, this include to save users, files, passwords, and some configurations
· Filesystems: Special filesystems like Reiser4 are now supported directly by the installer, this filesystem also includes compression support that will boost your machine even 2 times faster
· Reinstall: You don't need to burn CD's anymore since this version if you want to reinstall Elive again, you have a feature in your menus that does it without the need of CD's
February 3rd, 2010
· Autolaunchers: An entirely different system rewritten for autolaunchers containing features which are more handy and less annoying, entirely configurable
· Touchpad: Configurator added
· Drivers: Added a new driver for cdrom-drives needed to boot into live mode (thanks to rafuch0)
· Misc Bugs fixed, features added, and a few informative messages added
· Kernel version: 2.6.30
December 13th, 2009
· E17 Modules: A new set of E17 modules for Elive, they are found in the Features category of the E17 Preferences
· Trayer moved to the systray of e17
· Bluetooth featured on the fly
· Power Manager featured for laptops
· Msn: Amsn changed by emesene for now due to resources and stabiility reasons
· Kernel version: 2.6.30
October 23rd, 2009
· Compressed Filesystem: If you have a computer with a tiny hard disk (like EeePC 2gb SSD), you can now install Elive using a compressed filesystem so that the entire system will fit in 1 GB. Anything that you will put on it will be directly compressed on the fly and in realtime.
· Shared folders implementation with extra fixes and features
· No CD required: There is no need to burn the ISO on a cdrom anymore; you can easily install or reinstall with this method: simply point it to the ISO image on the hard drive and reboot to the latest one (from installed system). You can found this option in your Administration menu of applications.
· VPN: extra support
· toram: feature fixed
· OSS: Audio extra support (good for games or special things)
· Catalan: option from the boot selector fixed
· Kernel version: 2.6.30
August 28th, 2009
· aMSN: Fixed and updated for the compiz version, you can use it again now
· Audio Configurator: You can configure which audio card (if you have more than one) you want to use as default
· AudioCDs: The auto-play of audio cd's has been repaired
· Kernel version: 18.104.22.168-elive-686 (revision 41)
June 24th, 2009
· USB Live: A tool to make your USB stick an Elive bootable live system !
· Acer Aspire One: Perfectly supported, also with a special tool to disable the fan when not needed (very noisy in the bed)
· Flash: Flash updated to the version 10.0.22.87
· Console: Better characters for the console mode, more languages supported, smaller font size for console.
· Music: Elive Essence is back ! from your Audio menu, also, your Music folder is full of the best music for you, the best for work, for play, or for relaxation.
· Audio Player: Ok, we have finally moved from XMMS to Audacious !, it is almost the same but using gtk2 instead of gtk1, also, with a lot more new code and plenty of more features. All the dependencies of it moved as well (e17 hotkeys, applications calls, thunar default applications, mimetypes, autolaunchers, etc), on the other hand, we can say good-bye to the amazing JESS plugin for xmms.
· Russian support is now fixed thanks to a report that someone made, if you have problems with other languages, what are you waiting for? Report it! :)
· Fixes: A lot of misc fixes, specially for those who wanted to use the upgrade mode with a dedicated /home partition, this feature is working again thanks to the report of KC.
· Features: Apart from a lot of new internal features, there are some others, such as the one where you can now enjoy having your E17 backgrounds/themes/bar saved in your reinstallations As well as a better and more stable way to detect additional operating systems in order to put them in your grub menu. Please report any operating systems not added to your grum menu, especially windows.
· Kernel version: 22.214.171.124-elive-686 (revision 40)
June 2nd, 2009
· Partitions: Better detection and listing of the partitions for the live mode and the installer. If you encounter any problem since this version of Elive, please report it!.
· Raid: Now the fake-hardware (featured by the motherboard Bios) RAID disks are supported (thanks to the help and tests of watchwolf). A small help about RAID (software mode) is added in the installer describing how to install Elive on raid devices.
· Macbooks: We have switched from Lilo to Grub, in the previous versions of Elive you saw that sometimes the system doesn't boot anymore after running the fine-tune step because of some problems with lilo. This is now solved by using grub.
· Installer: The development is now all concentrated on the installer, with a large number of minor bugfixes and features.
April 29th, 2009
· Nvidia / Ati: When you upgrade the kernel package and modules, you will broke your nvidia/ati drivers except if you update/install/remove any requirement manually... this problem is solved since this version by holding ALL the kernel/driver packages (and GLX packages) in case that the user needs a nvidia/ati privative driver.
· Accelerated boot: A bit more accelerated boot of the live system by sorting the files of the filesystem in the cdrom structure by their access order.
· Practical things: Convert any audio file to MP3 / OGG by right-click on them in the file-manager
March 27th, 2009
· Debian: We have finished syncing the repositories using the new Debian Lenny Stable, enjoy it.
· E17: Updated Enlightenment 17 with new features. You will notice that the 'switch desktops by moving the mouse to the edge screen' does not work on this version anymore, for that, enable the new module.
· Reiser 4: The new optimized filesystem Reiser4 is available as a module of our kernel. Note: this module is only available as kernel module, not in the installer as choice, so use it at your own risk. For experimental usages.
· Kernel Headers: The kernel headers have been pointed to a wrong build directory, thus the user did not have the possibility to build their own modules except if they pointed the symlink to the correct folder. This is now fixed for all future kernel headers.
· Scite: Scite is again our default editor, it is also the preferred choice of our users.
· Thunar: Previews of Flash videos.
· Mplayer: Some changes that include a fix of an annoying popup message when using poor-driver audio cards, and some hotkeys added for the non-gui mode like: left-click = pause, double-right-click = fullscreen, and normalized audio set by default.
· Autolaunchers: Removed old thunar autolaunchers system (you could re-enable it if you want) and we are back to our old system, this makes your Elive more light and featured, unfortunately this autolauncher system requires continuous maintenance.
· Macbooks: Better touchpad sensitivity.
· Installer: Fixed a bug verifying the integrity in computers that has a wrong clock-time set.
· LVM: Detection, mount, accessible in Live mode, available in the installer (requires manual creation of LVM).
· RAID: Detection, mount, accessible in Live mode, available in the installer (requires manual creation of RAID).
· Keymaps: A bit of work in the keymaps of the keyboards such as for slovenian, swiss and canadian. If you see any problem with the keyboard / languages please report it to http://bugs.elivecd.org
· Languages: If you are using an external booting system such as unetbootin, you can select the language from the boot now.
November 27th, 2008
· This version includes a greatly improved new kernel and a lot of upgraded packages. Changes: Network Configurator is now perfectly usable and stable; Firefox bookmarks have been updated with new entries - a good list of GIMP links and tutorials, a big list of articles about Elive since its first version, and also some about EFL development; Linux kernel updated to version 126.96.36.199; all the currently available wireless drivers have been added, including the newest ath9k for Atheros cards; the bug about the WEP encryption in MacBooks has been finally solved using the new ath9k driver included on this kernel.
November 12th, 2008
· This version includes better support for MacBooks and a much better network configuration tool. MacBooks - the MacBook support has been overhauled, fixing some bugs like the installation and the webcam support. Wireless and networking - our new application to configure networks called Net-Connector is in a pretty good shape. All the known bugs are fixed and the auto-connect mode seems to be working properly. Since there are no known remaining bugs on it, we invite you to find new ones.
October 17th, 2008
· The Elive team is proud to announce the release of the development version 1.9.10. This version doesn't include Exalt (a network configuration tool) any more, but there is a new application in Elpanel. Ibar is replaced by Itask-ng - Elive now has a zooming bar similar to the one in Mac OS X. It also has another feature enabled by default - 'lock icons', which prevents the user from removing icons accidentally. Vim color scheme hacks - the default color theme of Elive has been hacked for better development and coding. PDF printer - it is now possible to create PDFs from a page, document, or anything just by selecting to print to a PDF file in the printer menu. Networks - this version includes a new application called net-connector for configuring WiFi and wired connections.
September 12th, 2008
· This version solves two important problems found in the previous version: an annoying mouse bug and a network configuration bug. Changes: 'changedevice' boot option allows changing device during the boot process; hotkeys - the mute key now works; E17 updated to the last version from Subversion, now some modules like battery, temperature and CPU frequency are enabled only if hardware supports it; Thunar can now preview XCF (GIMP native format) images and Nintendo DS ROMs; auto-mounters - mount and umount devices from Thunar; kernel updated to version 188.8.131.52...