New in version 1.8
June 20th, 2015
- In Preferences, there is a new option "Confirm before delete" that disables the confirmation (thanks to codesomniare).
- When BleachBit starts, the window is centered.
- The tool "Shred Settings and Quit" in the File menu is fixed.
- Added cleaning for Opera passwords (Linux support thanks to theatre-x).
- Shrink storage size of BleachBit icon.
- Add descriptions to many cleaners (thanks to theatre-x).
- Add a new command line option --debug-log that logs debug messages to a file.
- Replace hard-coded localizations cleaning system with CleanerML entries (thanks to tstenner).
- Whitelist /tmp/fsa for FSArchiver (reported by Max Miliaan).
- Suppress GTK+ warning in console (thanks to iliaselmatani).
New in version 1.6 (November 19th, 2014)
- Google Chrome: fix error "Favicons is version 29"
- Google Chrome: clean application cache directory.
- Google Chrome and Chromium: in the Preferences (JSON) file clean a list of HTTP servers that used SPDY, which can be used to track servers to which the browser was connected
- Firefox: clean more session restore files
- Firefox: clean bookmark backups using a new option called Backup.
- The auto-hide option, which was removed in version 1.0, is available again.
- Specific to Linux:
- Google Chrome: delete Sync Data Backup
- Chromium: delete application cache directory
- Print a message when root account is being cleaned to avoid confusion
- Whitelist more KDE IPC files under /tmp/ to fix problem launching BleachBit as root
New in version 1.4 (September 10th, 2014)
- Firefox: Fix DatabaseError: no such table: moz_hosts
- Firefox: Purge the table moz_hosts in places.sqlite for the option url_history
- Firefox: Delete Necko Predictive Network Actions
- Firefox: Delete more session restore files
- Google Chrome: fix error cleaning autofill_dates
- Adobe Reader: use wildcards instead of specific versions (thanks to theatre-x)
- Clean netMRL history in VLC media player (thanks to tiemay)
- Clean GIMP version 2.8 (thanks to tiemay)
- Improve support for Liferea (thanks to Lars Windolf)
- Specific to Linux / Unix:
- Pass control of the ~/.cache/mozilla directory from the System - Cache cleaner to the Firefox - Cache cleaner (LP#1295826)
- Clean additional locale directories (thanks to tstenner)
- Clean .mask files in Easytag (thanks to tiemay)
- Clean more history in the Links web browser (thanks to tiemay)
- Add packages for CentOS 7 and RHEL 7
- Specific to Windows:
- Winapp2.ini: on 64-bit systems expand %ProgramFiles% and %CommonProgramFiles% to the 32-bit versions in DetectFile= and FileKey=
- Winapp2.ini: support wildcards in DetectFile#=
- Winapp2.ini: support numbers in environment variable names
- System Information: show ProgramFiles and ProgramW6432
- Avoid a crash when starting on Windows with an exception in setting environment variables
New in version 1.3 Beta (August 13th, 2014)
- Google Chrome should clean thoroughly and without errors.
- Firefox should clean thoroughly (see LP#1326626) and without errors.
- Adobe Reader support
- GIMP 2.8 temporary files
- Liferea support
- Test on CentOS 7
- Firefox cache should be cleaned by the Firefox - Cache and not System - Cache.
- Easytag history
- Links2 (web browser) history
- VLC network streams history (see GH#15)
New in version 1.2 (June 9th, 2014)
- When overwriting free disk space is aborted, use a fallback system to make sure the temporary files are deleted before BleachBit exits abnormally; store temporary files in standard temporary file directories; and speed up on Linux.
- Expose Mozilla URL history (places.sqlite) cleaner to CleanerML, so better custom cleaners can be written for Mozilla-based browsers.
- Update Warzone 3.1 for Windows.
- Better find Firefox profiles (LP#1287489; patch by Gogeden)
- Add warnings to some cleaners about deleting passwords (thanks to theatre-x).
- All of BleachBit is now on GitHub across four repositories.
- Specific to Linux / Unix;
- Add cleaner for APT package lists.
- Update Konqueror cleaner (thanks to tiemay).
- Update Debian package for Debian and Ubuntu.
- Add Fedora 20 RPM package.
- Add Ubuntu 14.04 DEB package.
- Do not crash on startup for new platforms (in this case, for FreeBSD) .
New in version 1.1 Beta (May 19th, 2014)
- Wipe free disk space. BleachBit should not be unresponsive, and when it is done, there should be about the same amount of free disk space available. Try various file systems: ext3, ext4, FAT, NTFS
- Clean Warzone 3.1
- Specific to Linux:
- Test on Fedora 20
- Test on Ubuntu 14.04
- Clean APT package lists
- Clean Konqueror
- Specific to Windows:
- During installation disable shred integration. Then right click on a file in Windows Explorer and see the option is unavailable. Reinstall with the option enabled and verify the option is there.
New in version 1.0 (November 16th, 2013)
- The command line option --shred now shreds arbitrary files.
- Add Octave cleaner
- Add Warzone 2100 cleaner
- Clean recently played in VLC (thanks to nolme/Vincent DUVERNET - Nolmë Informatique)
- Google Chrome: Fix errors "Favicons is version 26" and "DatabaseError: no such column: full_path"
- Google Chrome: delete more cache
- Remove auto-hide option. (Before, it was a default.)
- Add SQLite3 cleaner
- Adobe Flash: clean NativeCache
New in version 1.0 Beta 2 (November 15th, 2013)
- Clean Adobe Flash
- Clean Octave
- Clean Warzone 2100
- Clean Google Chrome with the "overwrite contents" option enabled. Verify there are no errors, and the bookmark icons are preserved.
- Clean VLC with the "overwrite contents" option enabled.
- Run a command line like this to delete a specific file or folder:bleachbit --shred /some/filename
- Clean SQLite3
New in version 0.8.8 (June 16th, 2011)
- In Firefox, delete more session restore
- In Firefox, delete site-specific preferences
- In Firefox, delete input history.
- In Firefox, delete more URL history.
- In Google Chrome and Chromium, properly delete HTML5 cookies without deleting preferences for extensions (LP#732567)
- In Google Chrome and Chromium, delete the Databases.db files
- In Google Chrome and Chromium, delete favicons (except those that have bookmarks)
- In Google Chrome delete more history: the DNS prefetching host referral list
- In Opera, delete session backup
- Specific to Linux:
- Fix crash starting as administrator on Ubuntu 11.04.
- Support Seamonkey 2.0 (pointed out by Ed Hurst and Gogeden)
- Do not delete /var/tmp/kdecache to avoid crashing KDE (KDE#271889)
- Fix crash when changing options when Linux packager has disabled online updates (LP#715286)
- Require PyGTK version 2.14 or later
New in version 0.8.8 Beta 2 (June 10th, 2011)
- This version better cleans Firefox, Google Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Internet Explorer, and Thunderbird.
- Translations were updated and added.
New in version 0.8.7 (January 24th, 2011)
- BleachBit 0.8.7 improves command line support, imports winapp2.ini-style files allowing immediately for 440 additional cleaners on Windows, adds an Estonian translation, and more.
- Be a fan of BleachBit on the new Facebook page.
- Add command line option --preset which selects all the cleaners previously selected in the GUI.
- When showing a warning, show which option generated the warning.
- Specific to Linux
- Support Thunderbird on openSUSE 11.3 thanks to Manfred Schwarb (LP#668231)
- Fix wrong button label when adding folders for overwrite disk space and for whitelist (pointed out by jtarin)
- When cleaning localizations, show warning to point user to configuration
- Packagers: BleachBit will try to use the built-in json module on Python 2.6+ instead of simplejson, which is still required on Python 2.5.
New in version 0.8.5 (January 3rd, 2011)
- This version cleans many more traces of Internet usage in Google Chrome and Chromium (even data the browsers themselves cannot clean).
- It also cleans more of Opera and Firefox.
- Translations were updated.
New in version 0.8.4 (December 19th, 2010)
- When deep scan was enabled, BleachBit 0.8.3 would freeze with the progress bar displaying the name of the last cleaner (so it could be any one of 90 different names). Sorry!
- In addition to fixing this bug (of course), new automatic tests will prevent this from happening in the future. From the beginning, BleachBit has extensively used automatic tests to ensure quality.
New in version 0.8.3 (December 13th, 2010)
- This version wipes free disk space significantly faster.
- To maximize privacy, it changes the order of operations: general cleaning, deep scan, RAM and swap, and free disk space.
- It cleans much more of Opera, adds menu options for shredding folders and wiping free disk space, fixes an important bug, adds a Lithuanian translation, and updates 18 other translations.
New in version 0.8.2 (November 16th, 2010)
- Securely wipe filenames when deleting individual files and directories
- More securely wipe filenames when wiping free disk space
- Expand and fix vacuuming Google Chrome 7
- Specific to Linux bonus pack (separate download)
- Fix bonus pack not installing on Ubuntu 10.10
- Clean Xfce xfrun4 command history (thanks to nodiscc)
- Clean Battle for Wesnoth (thanks to Thibault Févry)
- New documentation: Shred files and wipe disks
New in version 0.8.0 (June 6th, 2010)
- Add feature to whitelist files and folders, so they will not be deleted or modified
- Add Tamil translation
- Add Faroese translation
- Support Thunderbird 3 as found on Ubuntu 10.04
- Delete recent documents in GNOME 2.28 - 2.30
New in version 0.7.4 (April 16th, 2010)
- BleachBit cleans its own settings for privacy
- Use EIC binary prefixes (1KiB=1000 bytes)
- Add Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) package
- Clean WordPad
- Shrink Windows installer by 500KiB
- Fix many bugs
- Add Low German translation
- Update 25 translations
New in version 0.7.4 Beta (April 5th, 2010)
- Fix many bugs
- Update translations
- Add Low German translation
- New privacy enhancement
New in version 0.7.3 (February 21st, 2010)
- Clean Thunderbird
- Clean Screenlets
- Add Asturian translation
- Updates 12 other translations
New in version 0.7.2 (December 1st, 2009)
- Clean Konqueror history, cache, and cookies
- Improve notification for Linux
- Clean Paint and more of WinRAR and Adobe Reader 6 on Windows
- Expose system information for reporting bugs
- Fix several bugs
- Update 19 translations
New in version 0.7.1 (November 10th, 2009)
- Clean Apache logs and XBMC Media Center, and Windows 7 jump lists
- Delete more of Opera history, Safari history, RealPlayer history, Emesene cache
- Improve usability and appearance
- Fix bugs
- Add Slovenian and Japanese translations
- Update 18 other translations
New in version 0.7.1 Beta (November 2nd, 2009)
- Improve appearance
- Improve usability
- Fix bugs
- Improve cleaning of Apache logs, Emesene cache, Opera cache, Safari history, RealPlayer history, Windows 7 jump list
- Make BleachBit portable (for Windows) fully portable
- Add Slovenian translation
New in version 0.7.0 (October 22nd, 2009)
- Add deep scan feature to find widely-scatted junk files such as Thumbs.db and .DS_Store
- Optionally automatically start BleachBit when computer starts
- Wipe memory and swap on Linux
- Add or improve 23 cleaning options
- Add Belarusian translation
- Update 22 other translations
New in version 0.7.0 Beta 2 (October 18th, 2009)
- Fix many bugs
- Add Belarusian translation
- Clear GNOME Run history
- Delete search history in GNOME Search Tool
New in version 0.7.0 Beta (October 14th, 2009)
- Add deep scan feature to find widely-scattered junk files
- Wipe RAM and swap.
- Delete Adobe Flash asset cache, KDE recent documents list, Adobe Reader temporary files , Google Earth ache, IcedTea cache, Gwenview recent documents list, sqlite3 command history, MySQL CLI command history, Midnight Comamnder usage history, Metacity sessions
- Clean more of Google Chromium, X11, and Google Chrome.
- Add option to start BleachBit with computer.
- Introduce second generation of CleanerML with regular expression support, file truncation, and more flexible file matching.
- Update many translations.
- Fix bugs
New in version 0.6.5 (October 1st, 2009)
- This release vacuums Google Chrome, deletes Google Chrome 3's history, and cleans the Emesene cache.
- It clean Adanaxis, Gnome Art Manager, Notify OSD, PDFedit, Phatch, PlayOnLinux, system logs, Virt-manager, and X-Moto (all part of the new bonus cleaners package).
- It adds a portable package for Windows, updates 18 translations, fixes bugs, and expand the unit tests significantly.
New in version 0.6.5 Beta (September 26th, 2009)
- Vacuum Google Chrome's fragmented SQLite databases. How much space do you recover? The safe browsing bloom file usually gives me 5MB and the other files about 250KB.
- Clean Google Chrome version 3's usage history
- On Linux (now in addition to Windows), BleachBit should refuse to clean Google Chrome while it is running
- When BleachBit 0.6.4 encounters an error deleting a file, it may not delete some of the next files (bug#435246). BleachBit 0.6.5 should skip the error and continue deleting the next file.
- BleachBit should properly delete Windows registry named values for Microsoft Office, Windows Media Player, and TeamViewer. This should fix a bug where BleachBit 0.6.4 deleted the whole key instead of just the named value. You should see some registry entries marked in angle brackets like .
- BleachBit is now portable on Linux and Windows. It should find its own files (cleaners, icon, etc) regardless of the current working directory in which it was started. On Windows, this means you can just unzip BleachBit to a portable USB drive or run it from your desktop without installation. On Linux, it's now even easier to run from the source. (You never had to compile BleachBit, so it was also fairly easy to run from source on Linux.)
- Look for regressions in previewing and deleting files and performing special operations including wiping free disk space, APT, Yum, vacuuming, OpenOffice.org, and Windows registry keys.
- If you package BleachBit for a repository, please check your launcher. BleachBit 0.6.5 uses some absolute imports instead of relative imports. If it starts, the new imports work.
New in version 0.6.4 (September 16th, 2009)
- Add command line interface for automation scripts and headless operation
- When zeroing free disk space and the user closes the application window, quickly stop zeroing the free disk space (instead of continuing in the background).
- When manually shredding files from the menu, ignore the preferences option regarding overwriting files. (Now always overwrite them.)
- Display more summary information at the end of the log: the number of files deleted, special operations, and errors.
- Clean Opera 10.0 final build.
- Improve the appearance of the toolbar
- Enhance the unit tests
- Fix small bugs
- Add Malay translation
- Update 17 other translations
- Support NetBSD with fewer downstream patches
- Shrink the Windows installer
New in version 0.6.3 (August 28th, 2009)
- Clear unused Linux inodes on ext3 and ext4 systems (and try on all others) to hide previously deleted filenames, file sizes, and other metadata.
- Fix two bugs.
- Delete Microsoft Windows system log files.
- Update 16 translations.
New in version 0.6.1 (August 17th, 2009)
- Wipe free space on hard drive to hide deleted files
- Cleans Nautilus and gPodder
- Clean more of Yum
- Fixes several bugs
- Add Croatian, Korean, Ukrainian, and Thai translations
- Update 18 other translations.
New in version 0.6.0 (August 3rd, 2009)
- Clean Liferea, Downloader for X (d4x), EasyTag, Evolution, Opera 10 beta, and Windows Recycle Bin.
- Clean more of Adobe Reader, APT, Internet Explorer, Opera, Pidgin, and Windows Media Player.
- Refuse to clean certain applications while they are running.
- Enhance CleanerML to support SQLite vacuuming, running process detection, APT, and a plugin-like system for new special actions.
- Add Galician, Indonesian, and Romanian translations.
- Update 18 other translations.
New in version 0.5.4 (July 16th, 2009)
- Automatically hide irrelevant cleaners.
- Cleans SeaMonkey; Adobe Reader MRU's; Opera download history, URL history, and current session; X Window System session errors; Google Toolbar; Microsoft Office MRU's; WinRAR MRU's; and more Windows MRU's
- Fix a bug that deleted OpenOffice.org extensions
- Add translations for Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal, and Simplified Chinese
- Updates translations for 12 other languages.
New in version 0.5.3 (July 1st, 2009)
- Expand CleanerML to display warnings for options.
- Add ability to clean Windows registry keys and named values (available in CleanerML).
- Show in real time the total bytes cleaned in the status bar, so you don't have to scroll to the end of the list.
- Clean FileZilla
- Clean aMule thanks to juancarlospaco (LP#390496)
- Specific to Linux
- Clean Audacious thanks to juancarlospaco.
- Clean Links2 thanks to MixCool.
- Clean Xine thanks to juancarlospaco.
- Clean a little more of espeak on Ubuntu.
New in version 0.5.2 (June 22nd, 2009)
- Add cleaners for Pidgin, Miro, Nexuiz, and gedit, Yahoo! Messenger, and Winamp.
- Clean more of Firefox, Vuze/Azureus, OpenOffice.org, aMSN, espeak, and GNOME's trash. * Add Dutch and Hungarian translations.
- Update Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, German, Italian, and Slovak translations.
- Fix bugs regarding Firefox, cleaning resulting in size increases, shredding write protected files, compatibility with Python 2.6.
- Many fixes for the new Windows port.
New in version 0.5.1 (June 9th, 2009)
- Securely shreds any file to prevent file recovery.
- Warn when deleting Firefox's Places.
- Clean Google Chrome and gFTP on Linux.
- Clean more files of the Skype chat logs.
- Clean Java, Opera, RealPlayer, and X-Chat on Windows.
- Expand the built-in whitelist for TrueCrypt, PulseAudio, WINE, and VirtualBox.
- Fix bugs.
- Update translations for Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Serbian, and German.
New in version 0.5.0 (May 30th, 2009)
- Add support for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
- Add convenient Windows installer (with all the dependencies included) and uninstaller .
- Add cleaners for Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Safari.
- Clean more cookies created by Macromedia/Adobe Flash.
- Enhance CleanerML to hide cleaners on unsupported operating systems (such as hiding WINE and Rhythmbox on Windows).
- Fixed bug "Bookmarks in Firefox can't be saved.".
- Change the cleaning and preview system from a thread to an idle function to support Windows. One nice side effect is closing BleachBit (with the X in the corner) during a cleaning operation immediately closes BleachBit and stops further cleaning. Another side effect is this change facilitates command line invocation of BleachBit (to be added later).
- Add Brazilian Portuguese translation thanks to A. Gabriel.
- Add Czech and Slovak translations thanks to Roman Horník.
- Add Serbian translation thanks to turncoat.
- Update Arabic translation thanks to MaXer.
- Update Danish translation thanks to Jimmy Frydkær Jensen.
- Update French translation thanks to Mathieu Pasquet.
New in version 0.4.2 (May 11th, 2009)
- Clean Adobe Reader 9.0's cache (in addition to previous versions of Reader).
- Whitelist paths in /var/log/ to prevent deleting important files on Slackware.
- Update French, German, and Finnish translations.
New in version 0.4.1 (April 13th, 2009)
- Fixed bug "BleachBit complains loudly if X server is not running" in Ubuntu and Debian.
- Fixed bug "Crash if LANG is not set in the environment."
- Added new translations: Catalan, Portuguese, Hebrew, Italian, Finnish, German. (Only 38 of 139 strings are translated to Finnish, so you could say this translation is not yet finished.)
- Updated French translation.
New in version 0.4.0 (February 24th, 2009)
- Introduce CleanerML, a system for creating cleaners in XML.
- Add cleaners for aMSN, CrossOver Chromium (Google Chrome), ELinks, emesene, GL-117, Hippo OpenSim Viewer, Midnight Commander, Recoll, Rhythmbox, Tremulous, Vuze (formerly Azureus), and WINE.
- Update Bulgarian, French, and Spanish translations.
- Add Russian translation.
New in version 0.3.1 (February 4th, 2009)
- Clean the cache and temporary files of Acrobat Reader, GIMP, Google Earth, Second Life Viewer, and winetricks.
- Clean Firefox version 3's URL history without deleting the entire places.sqlite file (which also contains bookmarks).
- Clean more localizations.
- Vacuum the Firefox databases (which becomes fragmented).
- Fixed bug that blocked cleaning of some localizations for some using Ubuntu 8.04.
- Fixed bug that prevented starting BleachBit when the language was not set.
- Fixed bug that prevented cleaning of the clipboard.
New in version 0.3.0 (January 27th, 2009)
- Introduce cleaning of localizations: Go way behind localpurge, which only cleans some localizations and just for a few Linux distributions. BleachBit finds more files and works with all Linux distributions. Also, BleachBit is "safer" than localpurge because you must run BleachBit manually, and BleachBit allows you a preview.
- Extend cleaning of recently used documents on Ubuntu 8.10 according to a new file standard.
- Introduce a preferences dialog
- Implement secure file shredding to hide file contents (to prevent data remanence) by overwriting files. It is effective in most operations (those which delete files) and on some file systems. The standard file system Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 10 is ext3 with data=ordered is compatible with shredding, but it is not effective in other situations including JFS, ReiserFS, and XFS. For more information, read the man page for shred.
- Individually describe each operation option.
- Use the actual size (not apparent size) of sparse files. This follows the default behavior of du instead of ls. Notice files are generally multiples of 4KB: even a 1B file generally occupies 4KB because of the file system allocates multiples of its block size.
- Add new operation to clean clipboard.
- Delete XChat logs in recent XChat version.
- Fix bug that prevented some Firefox and Epiphany options from being used (i.e., some files were not deleted).
- Fix handling of symlinks.
- Create a menu option to launch BleachBit as root on Linux distributions for which installation packages are provided. Administrator privileges are necessary to purge localizations.
- Add Bulgarian translation from Svetoslav Stefanov.
- The smaller changes include:
- When cleaning history for OpenOffice.org, also delete the cache.
- Improve the text window (on the right) with markup (colors and text styles) and text wrapping.
- Show tooltips on the toolbar.
- Various bug fixes, optimizations, and improvements to the unit tests.
- Enable searching and fix scrolling in the operations tree view.
- Fix thread-related bug on Ubuntu 6.06.
New in version 0.2.1 (January 5th, 2009)
- Clean OpenOffice.org recent documents history (through a new system that performs operations more sophisticated than simply deleting a file)
- Introduce application icon
- Improve internationalization
- Add first localization: Spanish
- Fix conflict in packaging regarding 32-bit and 64-bit hosts
- Show version in about dialog
- Find RPM build directory a better way
- Improve abbreviation of bytes (for example, show 123,457 bytes as 120.6KB)
- Fix some small bugs
New in version 0.2.0 (December 30th, 2008)
- Clean broken personal menu entries (.desktop files)
- Clean Firefox session restore (crashed sessions)
- Clean /var/tmp/ when cleaning /tmp/
- Clean VIM's .viminfo (which contains the "clipboard" and a history including commands and files)
- Enable Startup Notification (a visual notification to show the application is starting)
- Improve .deb and .rpm packaging. In particular, all .deb packages now are "all" architecture (instead of i386 and amd64).
- Introduce install packages for Mandriva and Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)