August 22nd, 2011New:
· New Option in Chat tab: Group friends by online status (active on top, idle below).
· Note: Recent Facebook changes to chat may cause idle users to not be shown. This is a Facebook change, not a BFB change.
· The popup chat list of friends online will now shrink to be just big enough to fit the content.
· Chat dock in lower right now shows the count of users online. Note: Facebook has recently added this feature themselves, but the BFB feature will work as a backup.
· An “[options]” link now appears in the chat popup list that links directly to the Chat tab in Options
· Performance improvements for Chat and Circles loading
· When post privacy is changed using the default Facebook padlock, those changes are now reflected in the Circles UI also.
· Removed the option for “Use Facebook’s built-in list editor instead of CircleHack.com” and turned the “Edit Friend Circles” button into a dropdown to select which editing interface to use.
· Removed Friends Activity because it caused some new problems. I’ll try to fix it and add it back in as an option.
· Pinning Notifications to the right sometimes caused it to stall and never load, and also prevent other features from working correctly (mostly in Chrome).
· When clicking on notifications about messages in discussion boards, only the first post would be displayed.
· Chat would sometimes cause an error and show an alert icon when Friends Activity was enabled.
· When viewing emails in Messages, scrolling up would repeatedly load previous messages and prevent the left navigation bar from being reachable.
· When selecting “Friends” in Circles and excluding a circle, permissions may not have been set correctly.
August 5th, 2011New:
· New “Chat” tab in Options lets you revert chat to its old behavior, show all online friends, hide the chat sidebar, or hide chat entirely.
· Circles! When making a post, two new buttons have been added by the Share button – “Edit Friend Circles” and “Post Privacy”. This will let you easily setup friend circles, and control which circles see the post. This feature can be disabled in the “Posts” tab of Options. Learn more here!
· New Option in Layout tab: “Hide the “live” feed of friends activity” in right column
· New Option in Layout tab: “Unlock the right column so it scrolls with the page” in right column
· Expanded text-based filters to also match on the author’s name and the text of location posts.
· Users with the new layout having the “live feed” on the right and fixed-position top/left sections will have them return back to scrollable unless the options to lock the left column or header are checked in Options
· Updated Firefox extension compatibility to 8.0a1
· Some spacing issues with the fixed header bar caused the top portion of some pages to be hidden.
· In some cases, the prevention of link redirection wasn’t working correctly.
· Some “location” posts (like “Friend A was at Place”) didn’t stay read after Facebook introduced a new glitch in their data. Although some of these posts still will not filter correctly, they should remain hidden once marked as read.
· Fixed “Select All” button (again) in Invite Friends popup after Facebook again changed their code.
· “Mark All Read” didn’t work on Groups pages
· The option to pin notifications to the right sidebar stopped working correctly after a Facebook code change.
June 15th, 2011Featured Changes:
· New Option: “Process posts on Group Walls, add control panel, and allow Mark As Read” in the “Posts” tab. Turning off this option will hide the control panel on Group walls and post action icons on Group posts.
· Posts on Groups walls will no longer be re-ordered, so the recently updated posts will once again float to the top.
· The “Anonymize Screen” menu item and “Better Facebook Options” item in the Account dropdown (if enabled) have been bumped up from the bottom, so the Log Out remains the last item in the list
· Fixed several bugs having to do with the notifications alert: Pinning to the right, scrolling the notifications list, and showing preview on hover all stopped working after a Facebook code change.
· Fixed some quirks and bugs with the Anonymize Screen feature
· On some slow computers, saving the Options popup before the filters could be rendered caused them to be wiped out
· Clicking the X to close “Tips of the Day” didn’t actually close the box
· The “Select All” button in a new event’s “Invite Friends” popup stopped appearing after a Facebook code change.
· Fixed a couple cases where image preview on hover was not working
June 2nd, 2011
· Posts on new Groups pages can now be marked as read, and the control panel appears on Group walls
· New Option: “Put the “Options” link under the “Account” menu” (in the “Display” tab). This will put the Better Facebook options link under the “Account” dropdown in the header to conserve space.
· New Option: “Prevent external link redirection” under the “Posts” tab. This will prevent from running external links through its redirector, which checks for malicious links, logs your link click, and prevents the target site from knowing the Facebook.com url you were at when you clicked. This option should only be enabled if you know exactly what it means.
· New Feature: Under the “Account” menu in the blue header bar, an “Anonymize Screen” item has been added. Use this when you are sharing Facebook screenshots with the world, to convert all friend names and profile pictures into generic, anonymized versions!
· Full prevention of Lightbox popup
· With Fixed Header enabled, sometimes the Notifications list was too long and scrolled off the bottom of the screen, making items unreachable. The notifications box will now have a scrollbar if it is long.
· BFB Update notifications will now appear in the right column, so they stay out of your way until you are ready to update.
· Problems with buttons being unreachable when “Stretch the layout to full screen width” is enabled have been fixed.
· With theater mode disabled, clicking or right-clicking on photo album thumbnails would make them disappear.
· Fixed a problem that sometimes prevented the “Help” message from appearing when users post to the Better Facebook Page on Facebook.
· Text in part of post footers (with links to take action, like “Claim Your Prize”) was not being processed by text-based filters. Text filters should now operate on the post and all content in the post footer.
· “Reply” to comments didn’t work on some Pages, such as http://www.facebook.com/KnownIssues
· The option to “fix timestamps” on posts was dropping the date and year on posts that were very old, so only the time was visible.
· Removed the check for multiple versions being installed because some users were seeing it in error.
· Pressing Ctrl+z while in a textarea or input incorrectly triggered the “undo” action.
· Fixed a slight rendering glitch in Firefox when fixing timestamps
· Fixed a problem that caused the daily pruning of old story data to not work correctly.
Under The Hood:
· Updated Firefox compatibility to versions
May 16th, 2011
· New Option: Fix the missing cursor problem in comment boxes (“Posts” tab). Many users (mostly using Firefox) have the problem of the cursor not being visible in comment boxes. This fix resolves that problem. By default, it is enabled for Firefox users.
· New Option: Fix the line wrap problem in comments as you type past the end of line (“Posts” tab). Some users see a problem where entering text in comments does not cause the text box to grow to a new line when it should. This fixes that problem.
· Added new story types: “Facebook Deals” (366,289), Tagged posts (77), Relationships (62,9), Posts to private groups (308), Posts to event walls (55), and Friend playing game (360). You may now select these stores in the Filtering tab of Options to hide them, tab them, etc.
· Added “Relationship Changes” to the recent activity types to optionally remove (Display tab in Options). So now you can uncheck this if you don’t want BFB to remove from your wall the news that you just got married Smile
· New Option: Disable Facebook’s auto-loading of more posts as you scroll down (on the Posts tab). By default, Facebook loads more posts as you scroll near the bottom of the page. This sometimes conflicts with BFB’s auto-clicking of Older Posts, and sometimes it just annoys people. By default, BFB disables this feature of FB, but you can change it back if you want to.
· Changed: Pressing Esc anywhere on the document (rather than just when cursor is in the comment box) now puts the floating “Reply” comment box back to its original position
· Fixed: The option to stretch the news feed to full width stopped working after a Facebook code change.
· Clicking “Reply with first names only” in comment replies now correctly saves the setting and changes the current comment text to first name only
· Text filters were incorrectly applied to posts containing comments that matched the text. Now text filters will only match the post itself and any attachments
· Some filters based on Author were not filtering correctly because of missing internal Facebook data
· Occasionally, some users would be taken to their notifications page when the home page was loaded
· Image preview stopped working on some profile pictures in news feed
· Automatic daily cleaning of preference story data was not being performed
· “Reply” feature on comments didn’t work in Groups or Photo pages
· Some bugs with post re-ordering caused posts to go to incorrect tabs or get of out chronological order
· The check for duplicate posts has been improved. This will hopefully fix the problem that caused all posts to disappear when returning to Facebook after being idle for some time.
· Increased reliability of auto-clicking older posts
· Tips of the Day were sometimes appearing again after being closed
Under The Hood:
· Added a helpful message if recent activity removal fails and 3rd party cookies are possibly disabled
· Added alert to Safari users with corrupt extension API’s caused by SIMBL, CTLoader, and Conduit
· Added a dump of all filters and other helpful info to post debug output (when you click the “i” icon on posts) for easier assisting of filtering problems
· Added detection of multiple versions installed at the same time
· Disabled internal auto-checking for updates in the Chrome Gallery version
April 7th, 2011Featured Changes:
· Reply to Comments
· Restore The "Comment" Button
· Filter Questions
· Plus many other changes and bug fixes!
February 25th, 2011Enhancements:
· New option to disable Facebook’s new “light box” photo viewer.
· New option to set post comment text size independent of post text size. If left blank, it defaults to post text size.
· New option to delay the showing of image previews for X number of seconds after hovering over
· All panels in the right sidebar now have an “X” in the upper right corner to hide them. Any panel can be hidden. Hidden panels can be unhidden in Options.
· “Corrected” post and comment dates now include the year, if not the current year.
· The automatic loading of more posts as you scroll to the bottom is disabled to prevent conflicts and other problems.
· Fixed: User Pref Import button was broken
· Fixed: Friend Activity panel now works. I think.
· Fixed: Most recent message no longer displays immediately after first install
· Fixed: When on apps.facebook.com, clicking the Facebook logo or Home links now correctly take you to www.facebook.com
· Fixed: Some Facebook url’s were being processed when they shouldn’t have been
· Fixed: Theme classes were being repeatedly applied to the HTML root
· The “Friends Recently On Chat” feature has been removed because Facebook no longer provides the data needed to provide this feature.
February 16th, 2011Improvements:
· Better Facebook will now run correctly on any site on Facebook, including blog.facebook.com and apps.facebook.com, and on http and https
· You can now decide to only automatically remove Recent Activity stories of specified types (see Display tab)
· Status update length counter now shows characters remaining, rather than characters typed
· Font size setting now applies to comments as well as posts themselves
· Themes with time-sensitive content (like the Desktop clock) will now update every minute
· Added a Cancel button to the setup wizard, and a link to re-launch it in Options
· Old story data will now automatically be cleaned out once a day to not waste space and slow down the app
· Improved removal of Recent Activity to avoid errors and missed stories
· Fixed auto-clicking of "Older Posts" after a Facebook code change broke it
· Posts by "Application Pages" are now correctly filtered along with the Application
· Changed the functionality for the "Automatically mark a post as 'read' after commenting on it" option to make it work with Facebook's new "live" insertion of new comments
· Changed the code to uniquely identify some story types that were not consistently staying hidden
· Image preview on hover for some images (such as the top 5 in profiles) didn't work in Chrome
· Fixed: Friend Tracker hangs on profile pages
· Removed Recent Activity stories are now crossed out on your wall, rather than removed, to show you what was removed. On refresh of the page, they will be gone forever.
· Added a description of post type in post debug box
· Added an explanation of status bar counts in control panel when hovered over
· Removed the footnote below image previews in the popup
January 14th, 2011
· This version has a lot of new features and fixes. Themes(skins), thumbnail image preview on hover, auto-removal of RECENT ACTIVITY posts on your profile, stretch to full browser width, full timestamps on posts, FF4 support, and a new "Update Wizard" that will guide you through all the new features and settings after install.
December 22nd, 2010
· Added link to RECENT ACTIVITY sections to remove all activity when clicked
· Improved detection of internal navigation
· Fixed: Filters with just "stop processing rules" action won't save
· Fixed: Auto-expand messages in left col doesn't work with new message system.
· Fixed: Pinned Notifications stopped working after Facebook change
· Fixed: Multiple things after Facebook changed its Profile layout
· Status character counter in new publisher bar
· Don't show left nav panels on profiles/pages
· Don't show right panel pagelets on profiles/pages
· "Process posts on Profiles" now works
· Home tab on profiles didn't work correctly
· Position of Facebook's "close" X to match the position of BFB's post icons
· Fixed: The "+" icon to add an app to the known list stopped working because Facebook doesn't show the app's name anymore. Now the user will be prompted for the name.
· Fixed: Help message stopped showing up when posting to the BFB Page.
November 22nd, 2010
· Fixed problems in Firefox4 beta7
· TypeError: Cannot call method 'toLowerCase' of null
· TypeError: a[sortprop] is undefined
· Uninstall link in Options didn't work.
· Navigation using Facebook logo or Home link caused problems
· Sometimes notification previews would get "stuck"
· Added "Refresh" link to Friend Tracker
· Group Activity has been removed because Facebook removed the source data
November 4th, 2010
· Fixed several problems caused by Facebook's layout changes
· New Option: Force the post font to be a specific size (Options/Popular)
· New Option: Show friends on chat even when you're offline (Options/Left Panel)
· New Option: Change profile images in chat to names (Options/Popular)
· New Option: Hide the "Friends on Chat" panel in left sidebar (Options/Left Panel)
· New Option: Hide the "Questions" box in the right panel (Options/Right Panel)
· New Option: Decide whether to process Recent Activity posts or not (Options/Display)
· New Option: Define a custom post action "sprite" url (Options/CSS advanced users only!)
· New: When "View all XXX comments" link will open a new page, an icon is shown
· Fixed problems with Fixed Header display (and it now works on profiles/pages, too)
· Fixed a problem with quotes in custom text match feed filters
· Fixed notification previews that were broken again after a Facebook code change
· Fixed: Right-panel boxes added by BFB didn't maintain their "collapsed" state
· Further tweaks to auto-clicking "Older Posts" to try to make it more robust
· Internal code changes to better handle pref saving and cross-tab data integrity
· "Add custom app" icon now appears for all app posts, even if "Automatically move apps to their own tabs" is not enabled
October 22nd, 2010
· New option to auto-expand comments from Pages that are by default shown as just Comment/Like counts
· New story type: Friends being added to Groups
· New option in Display tab to auto-expand "See more" links in posts
· Fixed preview notifications that were broken because of a Facebook code change, and added support for more types of content
· Fixed clicking of Older Posts (again) in Firefox
· Fixed auto-expanding of Apps in left panel
· Fixed hiding of Pokes and Get Connected boxes in right panel
· Fixed a problem with not running filters on page/profiles
· Added two new story type ID's to "Friends Checking In" stories to better handle them
October 14th, 2010
· New filter story type: Friends starting to play games
· New status line in control panel shows counts of posts processed, filtered, etc
· New option to pin the notifications to the top of the ride side panel
· New option to control whether to apply filters on Pages / Profiles (default: true)
· New: "Select All" button in Friend Selector popup
· New: Tabs with no unread posts are now grayed out
· New: "Google It!" icon in post action buttons quickly google's status update text. What is that a quote from? Now you know!
· Changed: "Older Posts" logic to hopefully be more reliable
· Added: Warning message when user is on apps.facebook.com
· Fixed: Overlay problem when left column is static
· Fixed: Navigation problems that caused tabs to not always display. Removed the need to fix logo navigation.
· Fixed: Friends Activity in right panel was not showing consistently, slow
· Fixed: Some posts were not maintaining their "read" status because their FBID changed randomly
August 26th, 2010
· New: Added story type "Friends checking in" so you can filter these new location-based posts
· New: "Custom App list" option in the Feed Filter tab in Options. This lets you identify your own applications and have them work just as if they were built in!
· Fixed: Facebook once again changed the layout in the right panel. Updated code to fix it.
· Fixed: If you added a comment, then clicked Mark Read, the new comment wouldn't be counted as seen and you would need to refresh and Mark Read again. Not anymore.
· Added: Some more application ID's, including Youtube
August 4th, 2010
· Facebook changed a lot of internal code structure and broke some features, including new comment notifications and feed processing. These have been fixed.
· Fixed processing of feed for users with "More Stories" link, and also made re-ordering work correctly in this case
· Fixed the attachment of the Control Panel so it shows correctly in different contexts
· Fixed auto-expand of Apps menu on the left
· A few other minor fixes
July 14th, 2010
· Fixed: Users of the Firefox Add-on had prefs corrupted if they had friends with unicode characters in their names
· Fixed: timestamp problem caused by Facebook code change which affected reording of posts
· New (Experimental): Added the ability to process posts on User/Page profiles and mark them as Read
· New: Hide Pokes in right panel
· Added: Validation to feed filter rules
· Added: Even more debugging code and checks
July 1st, 2010
· New: Tabbed news feeds!
· New: Powerful feed filters!
· New: A "Privacy" tab in Options lets you run a privacy check easily
· New: Whether posts are "read" or not is now stored per-post. This should help avoid problems where old posts were sometimes shown.
· New: Each post has a link to mark it as read/unread
· New: Hide the "beta tester" and "Recommended Pages" boxes on the right panel
· New: Added a "character counter" to status update boxes
· New: Make the header and/or left column static, so they don't scroll with the page
· New: New: Hide profile pictures in Notifications popup
· Improved: A new way of interacting with the Facebook page should help overall performance and reliability
· Improved: Better retrieval and caching of remote content improves performance
· Bug Fixed: "Show My Events" and "Show My Pages" in Options were switched around and actually affected the others' setting
· Bug Fixed: Clicking the "Home" link in upper right causes duplicates in left pane
· Bug Fixed: Clicking on the "news feed" link in left col caused old data to be displayed and side panels to disappear
· Bug Fixed: Sometimes "expand similar posts" would not expand
· Also Fixed: Facebook changed their layout and broke the code which identifies the user (causing many users' prefs to be reset).
· Also Fixed: Logo in top left and "Home" link in nav bar now correctly navigate to the root url (/)
· Also Fixed: Hide my name and picture in the upper left now works again after Facebook code change
· Also Fixed: Script would not run correctly on facebook domains other than .com, or on https: connections
· Also Fixed: Some story types changed their id every time, making them reappear
· Change: Format of stored user preferences have changed, forcing me to wipe out all current settings and start from scratch. Sorry!
· Change: Script will now work on *.facebook.tld/* which will cover localized versions of Facebook
· New: On-screen error display will help with debugging
· New: Detection of other Facebook scripts that may cause conflicts
· New Option: Add "Mark as Read" to each post
· Fixed: Filters only worked if control panel was enabled
· Fixed: More robust handling of clicking "Older Posts"
· Fixed: Clicking on Top News would immediately revert you back to Most Recent
May 15th, 2010
· New: Options interface is now tabbed and much easier to use!
· New: CSS tab in Options allows you to link to an external CSS file or insert arbitrary CSS rules
· Fixed: Auto-clicking "Older Posts" stopped working after a Facebook code change
· Fixed: Sidebar pagelets on right had formatting messed up after Facebook code change
· Fixed: Icons for navigation items in left panel disappeared after Facebook code change
· Fixed: Hiding "Suggestions" didn't hide them in the "Fiend Your Friends" page
· Changed: Button styles in the control panel after a Facebook code change
May 3rd, 2010
· New: Hide the annoying "Please update your email address" box that some users see repeatedly
· New: Some users erroneously install both the Add-on and Greasemonkey script. Code will now detect this and warn the user.
· New: Option to completely hide the "Control Panel" at the top of the MOST RECENT feed
· New: Option to hide the icon next to the Better Facebook "Options" button at the top
· Fixed: Message from author popup would sometimes show repeatedly, or when clicking off-site links
· Fixed: Clicking on the "News Feed" link in the left column removed Better Facebook control panel and functionality
· Changed: The logic for auto-expanding of SIMILAR POSTS links was tweaked a little
· Changed: Auto-expand similar posts will now default to 'true' for new users (existing users will not change)
April 10th, 2010
· New: Set max height of left-side navigation sections
· New: "edit" links on left-side navigation sections allow you to show/hide specific items
· New: Mute all new comment notifications for all posts
· New: Hide old comments when alerting of "X new comments" to a post. Default is true!
· Changed: Item titles in left-side navigation no longer wrap (they will be cut off if too long)
· Fixed: More changes to handle Facebook's dynamic insertion of content correctly. Previously, stories would sometimes not be hidden, or navigation around the site would cause unpredictable behavior. This has hopefully been resolved (for now).
· Fixed: Sometimes right-side pagelets would be duplicated
· Fixed: The Firefox Add-on version was checking for Greasemonkey script updates and showing update notifications when it shouldn't.
March 30th, 2010
· Facebook changed their code again, causing new comments to not be detected. This release fixes that.
· Fixed: Small CSS glitch in left side nav sections causing title to squish into content
· Fixed: Sometimes posts were still being shown after being marked as read
· Fixed: Auto-expand of left navigation menus stopped working after Facebook update
· Fixed: Facebook Add-on version sometimes had JSON.parse errors
· Fixed: Occasionally Facebook content is static and doesn't contain the normal metadata. Code changed to account for that.
· Removed: The option to hide Sponsored box. Use an ad-blocker if you want to hide advertising
· New: Version # is shown in the border around the buttons and in the options dialog
· New: Save/Cancel buttons at the bottom of the Options dialog as well as top
March 23rd, 2010
· New Option Hide "Suggestions" box
· New Option Hide "Events" box
· New Option Hide "Sponsored" box
· New Option Hide my name/picture box in upper left
· New Option Reload automatically when Mark All Read is clicked
· New Option Hide a post immediately when it is muted (default true)
· New Option Background color of new comment notification bar
· New Option Automatically check for updates tBetter Facebook
· New Option Hours twait between update checks
· New style for "new comment" notification
· Added Debugging option. It's for me, but if you want tpeek, gahead
· Added Count t"My Pages"
· Fixed Bug Sometimes clearing Friends Activity did not actually clear
· Fixed Bug Sometimes "muted" comments get un-muted after Mark All Read was clicked
· Fixed Bug New comments were not alerted if the story with new comments was the last read
· Changed Added a little more robust data-checking for cases when Facebook misbehaves, shopefully the script will still function correctly
Fixed Changed code tadapt tnew Facebook code changes:
· New Option Auto-mute new comment alerts after a certain number of comments
· New Option Hide any posts if the content matches a user-defined regular expression
· New Navigation links inserted in the left column
· All Connections
· Edit Friends
· Write A Note
· Pages I Admin
· Unblock Applications
· New When side column sections are expanded/collapsed, their state is preserved on next visit
· Added More robust handling of "last read" status tavoid feed not hiding read stories
· Bug When navigating around, left and right column content may be lost. This is mostly fixed. In some cases, this will still happen.
· Bug Code was checking tooften for updates. Fixed it tonly check on the frequency specified
· Bug If a post had over 1,000 comments, the number was not being parsed correctly
Improved Debug mode:
· New "My Events" in left navigation
· New "My Groups" in left navigation
· New "My Apps" in left navigation
· New "Friends By Network" in left navigation
· New Left navigation groups can be expanded/collapsed, and re-ordered
· BUG Sometimes posts would be shown twice. A fix for this has been put in.
February 19th, 2010
· Updated to support the NEW Facebook layout. Only install the update if you have the new layout!
· A few new minor features added to support the new layout.
January 26th, 2010
· Fixed a bug in the "Friend Tracker" causing wrong names to be displayed. If you were recently unfriended, these will no longer appear in the Friend Tracker but correct names should begin displaying now.