January 19th, 2013Bug fixes for:
· Crash using Undo whilst time-shifting a track.
· Crash using Repair if the selection extended into an empty track.
· Export Multiple didn't prevent export if there was no audio or all audio was muted. This allowed export of small invalid files.
· Loop Play of a speeded-up track inserted silence.
· Playback and rendering was significantly inaccurate, creating audible and visual glitches.
· The mnemonics character "&" was read out by screen readers in most of the Preferences choices.
· NVDA did not read static text in most dialogs. Text can now be read by using INSERT + B.
· JAWS and Window-eyes misread the "Duration" control in Silence Generator.
· Toolbar buttons could not be pressed by ENTER
· Other interface bug fixes.
Changes and Improvements:
· The SoX Resampler library (libsoxr) has replaced libresample in Audacity releases, offering both higher quality and greater speed. .
Time Tracks new features:
· "Set Range" now changes only the range of the Time Track, preserving the pitch/speed set by any existing warp points.
· Vertical scale added with options for linear and logarithmic display and interpolation.
· Upper and lower speed limits will now be remembered when saving and reopening a project in 2.0.3. Warp points in projects saved by previous Audacity versions will be correctly restored in 2.0.3.
· Warp points saved in a 2.0.3 project will be preserved if opened in previous versions but playback and display will be incorrect.
· Studio Fade Out (uses a filtered "S" curve).
· Adjustable Fade (accessible effect for creating partial fades and adjustable fade shapes).
· Bass and Treble (replaces Bass Boost).
· Real sample rates up to 384000 Hz are now supported for playback and recording in high resolution devices (the maximum is up to 192000 Hz for Windows DirectSound host).
· Labeled Regions in Edit Menu is renamed to "Labeled Audio" and now allows splits to be placed at point labels. Labeled audio regions that touch without overlapping are treated as separate regions. Overlapping labeled audio regions are treated as a single region.
· Compilation: cmake is required in order to build libsoxr.
· New Croatian translation of Audacity.
June 25th, 2012Bug fixes for:
· Selection Toolbar: a value for the previous whole second displayed if the value was close to a whole second.
· Finding zero crossings could cause the selection to expand into white space at either side of the clip.
· Clips did not drag to another track if mouse was over a selection.
· Mixer Board: Rendering four tracks resulted in a redundant Track Strip followed by a crash.
Imports and Exports:
· Exporting to WAV or AIFF led to a "Libsndfile says" error or corrupted output due to order of metadata in imported files.
· (Mac) Fixed crashes importing MP3 files on PPC machines.
Effects and Analysis:
· Normalize: Fixed issues where normalization could be to wrong value if applied with DC offset correction, or if applied to "read-directly" WAV and AIFF files before On-Demand completed.
· Sliding Time Scale: fixed an audible discontinuity at the beginning of the processed selection; fixed a serious quality problem on Linux 64-bit.
· Other miscellaneous bug fixes, including fix to prevent zooming with mouse wheel or ball scrolling the content off-screen,
Changes and Improvements:
· Shortcuts can now be added in Keyboard Preferences to items in the Generate, Effect or Analyze menus, including user-added plug-ins.
· Nyquist Effect plug-ins can now be added to Chains.
· New "Paulstretch" effect for extreme slowdown without pitch change.
· New "Sample Data Export" Analyze effect for exporting a file containing amplitude values for each sample in the selection.
· New Preference to import files On-Demand (without seeking ability) when using the optional FFmpeg library.
· (Windows installer) New option to reset Preferences on next launch.
· (Mac) Audacity now has excellent compatibility with the VoiceOver screen reader. For details, please see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/accessibility.html#mac .
· CleanSpeech Mode (no longer supported) will not now be enabled even if it was enabled by an earlier version of Audacity.
· Added Serbian (Latin and Cyrillic) translations.
January 20th, 2010Imports and Exports:
· Bug when exporting partial selections caused too much audio to be exported is fixed
· Fix corrupt files exported through FFmpeg when metadata included (metadata is now exported correctly in M4A files)
· Prevent saving a new Audacity Project over an existing one as this could corrupt both projects
· Improved help for files that cannot be imported because the relevant optional library is missing
· Allow effects which change the length of the audio they work on to also be applied to selected label tracks, thus keeping them synchronized
· Fixed inability in Nyquist plug-ins to add labels to an existing label track
· (Mac) Equalization window was corrupted after Preview
· (Linux 64-bit) Fixed crash Generating Click Track
· Fixed bug causing recording to stop short when the recording sample rate is not supported by the sound device and libsamplerate is used for resampling
· Fix crash when opening Preferences on a machine where there are no available audio devices
· Fixes for bugs using Timer Record and Sound Activated Recording
· Sizes of some dialogs adjusted to ensure they fit on the screen
· Fix for supposedly "hidden" items appearing on screen with large monitors
· Various keyboard shortcut and translation fixes
Other bug fixes:
· Several timing-dependent crashes and minor incorrect behaviours have been fixed
· Windows installer now installs correctly over previous versions of Audacity
Changes and improvements:
· (Windows) Better icon file with higher resolution and transparency
· New SoundFinder plug-in to label regions of audio between silences, so allowing silences between tracks to be excluded when exporting multiple
October 2nd, 2009
· Various bugfixes and feature enhancements were made.
September 1st, 2009Bugs fixed:
· Crash, slow launch or excessive CPU/memory use arising from automatic VST support
· Default View Mode now works
· Chains now always apply their stored parameters rather than those last used in Effect menu
· Non-MP3 files imported via drag or Recent Files caused crash if filter in file open window set to MP3
· AAC exports (using the optional FFmpeg library) silenced
· Generating audio always fitted the project in the window; fit now done only if generating in new track
· View menu items/shortcuts incorrectly disabled when playing or recording
· DTMF generator defaulted to zero duration on open
· Unwanted interactions between linked audio and label tracks
· Various other interface bugs
· Compressor: new option to compress based on peaks, improved attack and decay time support
· Mixer Board: improved design, more responsive meters and now interacts fully with Track Panel in main window
July 17th, 2009New Features:
Effects and Analysis:
· VST Effects now display GUI by default
· Faster Equalization and Noise Removal; improved Truncate Silence and Click Track
· Chains applied to files now clear temporary data after processing each file
· Updated Nyquist implementation with support for SAL syntax and improved memory management
· Plot Spectrum now analyzes up to 237.8 seconds of audio, with separate windows for each project and improved display; new preferences for Spectrograms
· Contrast Analysis tool now modeless for easier use
· Draft Manual/Quick Help included in Windows and Mac installers
· New "Mixer Board" view with per-track VU meters
· Mute, solo, gain, pan and track height saved in projects
· More compact Preferences window with easier-to-use Keyboard tab and new toolbars shortcuts
· New Screenshot Tools and improved screen reader support
· Record more than 16 channels (hardware/drivers permitting)
· Improved support for non-mmap ALSA devices such as PulseAudio
· 32-bit float data over 0 dB now handled without clipping
· "Stop" option when importing preserves already imported data
· AMR NB export now supported if the optional FFmpeg library is installed
· Faster waveform drawing and better response in multi-track projects
Bug fixes for:
· Export Multiple: failed if empty label encountered; files silenced if overwriting imported WAV files without copying them in
· Metadata Editor hidden if it was on a now unavailable second monitor
· Misaligned audio after "Split New" or Noise Removal effect
· Incorrect label movement and paste with linked audio and label tracks
· Equalization, Cut Preview and Advanced Mixing Options dialogue
· (Linux) Mixer Toolbar should now adjust levels and select input sources properly
· "Audio cache" preference caused crashes - data is now only cached in memory if available RAM is above a level defined in preferences
· Various other crashes
January 28th, 2009Cross-platform Bug Fixes:
· Muting/soloing caused incorrect channel results in exported stereo files
· Noise Removal and all Nyquist effects pasted the original unmodified audio at the end of the modified region
· Noise Removal inserted a tail of low level noise at the end of the modified region
· Nyquist and Compressor plug-ins did not display moving bars in progress dialogue and over-estimated "Remaining Time"
· Cancelling Nyquist effects deleted unprocessed audio
· Change Speed and Change Tempo failed to modify the original selection length
· Cut lines invisible
· Fixed various bugs importing multi-stream files via FFmpeg
· File > Export as WAV could be corrupted if overwriting an imported WAV read direct from the file
· Export multiple "Other uncompressed files" choice always produced 16-bit PCM audio irrespective of chosen options.
· MP3 export usually produced a 128 kbps constant bit rate file irrespective of chosen options; reported length often incorrect
· MP3 ID3 Genre tag misread on import if the genre list in Metadata Editor was opened and saved
· Exported metadata tags in MP3, OGG and FLAC often not seen by player software - now substantially improved
· WMA exports (via FFmpeg)corrupted if metadata tags included
· Some multi-channel recording devices that previously recorded more than two channels no longer did so
· Generated audio did not fit in window
· No warning was given when saving an empty project
· Beep on completing longer process did not work on many systems
· fixed crashes importing lists of files (.LOF), in Meter Toolbar and Change Speed
Platform-specific Bug Fixes:
· Spurious clipping at start of playback
· Labels did not accept certain legal characters
· Shortcuts did not work after running effects
· Project Rate did not change to respect rate of first imported file if that rate was unsupported
· F11 Full Screen mode
· High-quality "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift" effect
· Audio Contrast Analyzer for testing audio on the internet for WCAG2 accessibility compliance.
· Windows: sound devices can now be opened using the more efficient DirectSound API
· Latency correction should be improved for many users by employing a fixed rather than variable correction
· Grouping of Effects into categories turned off until a way is added for users to do so themselves
· Numerous minor interface improvements such as Metadata Editor navigation, new "hh:mm:ss + hundredths" selection format
· Note: Windows users wanting to export MP3 files will require the latest version of the LAME encoder from here.