June 6th, 2013
· DMVPN works again (issue #1782)
· default kernel based on 3.9.4
· vserver kernel based on 3.4.47
· xen 4.2.2
March 1st, 2013
· This is a kernel security bugfix release that brings in all stable kernel fixes up to 3.4.34 in to our 3.6 kernel.
January 22nd, 2013
· This is a bugfix release which contains various security fixes, fixes for the r8169 NIC driver and fixes for squid.
November 8th, 2012
· Kernel upgraded to 3.6.6 with grsecurity patch
· Asterisk v.11.0.1
· Xen 4.2 Dom0 Support
· Freeswitch 1.2.0
· PostgreSQL 9.2.1
· Ruby 1.9.3
· Libvirt 1.0
· Xorg server 1.13
· Mesa 9
July 18th, 2012
· Fixes MSS clamping in kernel for proper path MTU discovery.
· Fixes creating apkovl archives with large number of files. (issue 1240)
· Fixes include empty dirs in apkovl archives. (issue 1241)
May 31st, 2012
· Kernels upgraded to 3.3.7
· Fix issue in 2.4.2 that pulled in packageses from edge. This fixes nfsd segfaulting and dahdi kernel modules not loading.
January 5th, 2012
· kernel updated to 3.0.14
· kernel patch for issues with MTU and OpenNHRP
· opennhrp updated to 0.13 - better supports multi-ISP configurations with pingu
· shorewall fix for multi-ISP configurations with pingu - no more need to restart pingu everytime shorewall is restarted.
· unbound DNS resolver now updates the root server from a periodic script
November 23rd, 2011
· This bugfix release includes several security patches from upstream package sources, iptables compatibility fixes for Shorewall, kernel upgrade to 3.0.10, and multi-core CPU kernel enhancements.
May 3rd, 2011
· A new Linux kernel branch based on 2.6.38 with all of the Alpine patches either rebased or included in upstream Linux sources.
· New support for the x86_64 architecture. Alpine 2.2 is able to efficiently take advantage of modern x86 processors supporting all available general purpose registers
· and providing native support for the full expanded 64-bit virtual address space of modern computer hardware.
· SHA512 password hashing security. In Alpine 2.2, passwords in /etc/shadow are now hashed using SHA512 by default. This provides significantly stronger password hash strength, increasing the difficulty required to crack system passwords by several orders of magnitude.
· Preliminary support for grsecurity Role Based Access Control. By installing the gradm package and enabling the grsec-rbac service, you can add additional hardening to your server or appliance's security configuration.
· Enhanced disk partitioning and installation tool (setup-disk). This tool now supports configuration of LVM volumes, software RAID, data-only storage disks and uses the EXT4 filesystem by default. All of this is provided in a simple to use utility.
· Improved package management tools (apk). New features include support for multiple architectures, an improved interactive mode and general UI enhancements.
· Support for read-only boot filesystems. This support is automatically used on new installations involving removable storage as well as 'hybrid' setups where the system image is stored on disk and configuration is stored on a second partition.
· Added GNOME desktop environment. This support is presently preliminary, but can be installed using the gnome-base metapackage.
· XFCE was upgraded to 4.8. Alpine continues to provide excellent support for the XFCE desktop environment by shipping the latest version in Alpine 2.2.
· Added Mozilla Firefox web browser and GNU Gnash. These additions enable Alpine to have a fully functional web browser on it's desktop profile.
· MySQL has been upgraded to version 5.5. This new version of MySQL brings several security and performance enhancements.
· OpenRC has been upgraded to version 0.8.2. This new version of OpenRC brings several bugfixes and performance improvements.
· Preliminary support for a Xen dom0 environment added. This will be enhanced upon in the next major version of Alpine, but provides significant memory savings over other Xen dom0 environments. Xen support is available only on the x86_64 port of Alpine.
· Busybox has upgraded to version 1.18.4. The new enhancements in Busybox make Alpine easier to learn for those used to GNU/Linux environments.
January 10th, 2011Upgraded/downgraded packages (from version):
· acf-alpine-conf-0.4.0-r2 (0.4.0-r1)
· acf-freeswitch-vmail-0.0.10-r0 (0.0.9-r0)
· alpine-base-2.1.4-r0 (2.1.3-r0)
· alpine-conf-2.5.4-r1 (2.5.4-r0)
· apk-tools-2.0.7-r2 (2.0.7-r0)
· busybox-1.17.4-r1 (1.17.3-r3)
· dahdi-linux-grsec-188.8.131.52-r0 (184.108.40.206-r2)
· iscsitarget-grsec-220.127.116.11-r2 (18.104.22.168-r4)
· kamailio-3.1.1-r0 (3.1.0-r1)
· libmysqlclient-5.1.51-r2 (5.1.51-r1)
· linux-firmware-22.214.171.124-r0 (126.96.36.199-r2)
· linux-grsec-188.8.131.52-r0 (184.108.40.206-r2)
· mkinitfs-2.1.2-r1 (2.1.2-r0)
· openrc-0.6.1-r4 (0.6.1-r2)
· xtables-addons-grsec-220.127.116.11-r1 (18.104.22.168-r3)
December 13th, 2010
· This is a bugfix release that is based on the 22.214.171.124 kernel.
· It contains security fixes for OpenSSL, stability fixes for the uclibc threading implementation, a new snapshot of ipsec-tools, fixes for the local backup utilities' handling of encrypted configuration, and minor fixes for the package manager apk-tools.
November 15th, 2010
· This is a bugfix release that fixes booting from USB, issues with static linking, and a problem with missing kernel firmware files.
November 6th, 2010
· This is a bugfix release. It fixes booting on some hardware (#464), booting vserver kernel, fixes broken util-vserver (on the alpine-vserver iso image), ipv6 network configuration (#423) and security update of dhcpd.
November 3rd, 2010New:
· linux-2.6.35.x kernel
· php/apache2 support
· initial support for udev as alternative to busybox mdev
· xorg-server-1.9.x (with udev and hotplugging support)
· gtk+-2.22 and friends
Some of the minor fixes include:
· ping as normal user works
· the package alpine-base ships /etc/alpine-release
· 'lbu package -' should work even if there are pre/post scripts to lbu
· less verbose Alpine init. Only show error if any
· no info message about not starting mounting modloop
· encrypted apkovls should work again
August 18th, 2010
· Improved threading support with NPTL
· Paravirtualized KVM guest support (virtio)
· Paravirtualized Hyper-V guest support
Various new and updated applications like:
Support for X.org via network install and lots of new or updated desktop apps like:
August 6th, 2010
· Fixes #391 that caused booting fail after setup-disk.
· virtio support in default initramfs for qemu guests. (needs testing)
· General polishing.
July 7th, 2010
· This release includes a critical fix for a bug with apk-tools triggers, a security fix for clamav, and support for partitions bigger than 2TB.
February 1st, 2010
· The main reason for the update is to fix a specific problem with overlays.
· Also included are 6 updated packages, and a useful feature for SQL backups.