May 9th, 2013
· Fixed: Server names with a trailing dot were mistakenly treated as typos.
· Fixed a Firefox 22 compatibility issue (no colors/imaages in filters list and list of blockable items).
February 14th, 2013
· This release mostly works around breakage caused by AVG Security Toolbar 14.0.3.* extension, it prevented Adblock Plus from working correctly among other things.
January 31st, 2013
· Worked around regression in Firefox 18 causing entries on the blockable items list to disappear and preventing context menu from working reliably.
· Issue reporter now encourages users to enter an email address when submitting issue reports.
· Removed Do-Not-Track handling which is redundant with Firefox supporting it as well (blog post).
· Added support for per-window private browsing in Firefox 20.
· Fixed: Changes in Firefox 19 broke issue reporter.
· Fixed: "null" access keys show up in Firefox 20.
· Fixed: Context menu broken on background images in Firefox 20.
November 23rd, 2012
· Fixed issue affecting loading of filters in old Firefox version (including Firefox 10).
· Fixed wrong apostrophe encoding in translations (especially Italian).
November 22nd, 2012
· New typo correction feature helps avoid landing on malicious web pages (not enabled by default) - see https://adblockplus.org/blog/typo-correction-feature-in-adblock-plus.
· Code license change: GNU General Public License version 3.0 instead of Mozilla Public License version 2.0
· Minor fixes
July 25th, 2012
· Some startup performance and memory use improvements
July 4th, 2012
· Improved startup performance.
· Filter preferences: improved display in right-to-left locales.
· Fixed: Adblock Plus might break extensions like IE Tab using NPAPI plugins.
· Fixed: Filter subscriptions are no longer being updated automatically.
· Fixed: Firefox Sync support isn't working.
June 29th, 2012
· Adblock Plus can be installed without restarting the browser now.
· Added support for Firefox Mobile 14.
· Improved Thunderbird integration.
· Updated for upcoming Firefox releases (especially Firefox 15).
December 27th, 2011
· Improved texts describing "non-intrusive ads" feature.
· Made toolbar icon properly customizable in Thunderbird.
· Fixed: Filter editing is broken in Firefox 3.6.
· Firefox Mobile: Fixed user interface to handle "non-intrusive ads" feature properly.
December 15th, 2011
· Experimental pop-up blocking support for the cases where the built-in pop-up blocker fails.
· New Filter Preferences dialog makes managing filters and subscriptions
· Custom filters can be organized into any number of filter groups.
· Backup and Restore functionality allows creating a copy of all filter preferences, not just custom filters.
· Added “Allow non-intrusive advertising” setting (can be changed in Filter Preferences, see http://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads).
September 28th, 2011
· Added Latvian and Albanian translations.
· Fixed some minor issues.
· Some users will be asked to complete a survey about Adblock Plus.
July 4th, 2011
· Added experimental support for Firefox Sync
· New extension icons
· Updated for changes in Thunderbird 5
· Various minor fixes
May 24th, 2011
· Fixed: Corruption in Adblock Plus data files might result in Adblock Plus being unable to block anything
· Fixed some minor SeaMonkey 2.1 issues
· Some minor improvements to the issue reporter
May 16th, 2011
· Added Brasilian Portuguese translation again
· Slightly improved performance
· Fixed a potential memory leak (only occurring under rare conditions)
· Various minor fixes
April 7th, 2011
· "Recommend us on Facebook" button can now be easily hidden (click the cross next to it).
· New translations: Esperanto, Upper Sorbian
· Improved display of web addresses in Adblock Plus user interface for right-to-left languages (Hebrew, Arabic).
· Various stability improvements
March 27th, 2011
· Added support for Firefox Mobile 4
· Added support for Do Not Track proposal
· Special icon state for "whitelisted" webpages removed
· Various performance improvements
December 27th, 2010
· Fixed Adblock Plus 1.3.2 regression: Subscription downloads fail with some proxy servers
December 10th, 2010
· Persian translation added again, some other translations updated.
· Issue reporter: Page referrer is being sent to allow recognizing/investigating pop-up issues more easily.
· Issue reporter: Sending a report is no longer possible in some scenarios (prevents useless reports).
· Fixed: Element hiding rules stop working after they have been subject to an exception (bug 23257).
· Fixed: Toolbar icon's text shows up to the right of the icon rather than below it (forum topic).
· Fixed: Hit counts might not get saved when the browser is closed (Firefox 4 only).
· Fixed: Links in About dialog open in an external application on Linux (bug 23441).
· Fixed: List of recently reported issues has horizontal scrolling with some themes (forum topic).
· Fixed: Toolbar icon is broken in SeaMonkey Mail nightly builds.
· Fixed: Dragging a filter in Preferences might cause "unresponsive script" warning.
· Fixed: "Invalid XBL binding" warning in Firefox 4.
· Fixed: Adblock Plus is confusing memory leak detection tools, a bogus leak is being reported.
August 18th, 2010
· Updates to support Firefox 4 nightly builds and Firefox 4 Beta 3
· Subscription dialog: Made "Add a different subscription" button less prominent
· Subscription dialog: Fixed bad Chinese translation for the "Add a different subscription" button
July 10th, 2010
· Updates to support Firefox 4 nightly builds and upcoming Firefox 4 Beta 2
· Preferences: more reliable formatting of dates
· Fixed: Tabs on Flash and Java display badly on some webpages
· Fixed: Comments would sometimes be interpreted as element hiding rules
April 30th, 2010
· Fixed regression: filter hits were counted in private browsing mode
· Fennec fix: subscription page no longer showing on each update
January 7th, 2010
· Fixed regression: filter hits were counted in private browsing mode
· Fennec fix: subscription page no longer showing on each update
December 13th, 2009
· Minimal Fennec 1.0 support (at least Beta 6 required)
· Made subscription downloads support load balancing, downloads can be distributed to several servers now
· Subscription downloads no longer fail if network.http.redirection-limit preference is misconfigured
· List of filter subscriptions no longer offered only on first installation, also offered on update if the user has neither filter subscriptions nor own filters
· Improved recognition of document source for $domain option in the filters
August 13th, 2009
· Added ChinaList as recommended filter subscription.
· Fixed: Very bad performance on some webpages.
· Made sure that collapsing of blocked elements works reliably again and that Image Toolbar extension doesn’t disable this feature (bug 21278)
· Made Adblock Plus initialization more bulletproof, it can no longer be disrupted by other extensions like FoxyProxy or Sxipper (forum topic).
· Worked around a bug in .NET Framework Assistant causing Adblock Plus user interface to break (forum topic).
· Fixed: “Apply” button doesn’t enable in Preferences if a filter subscription is moved with the mouse (bug 21337).
· Fixed: List of blockable items occasionally misses out some items if it is open while page is loading.
· Fixed: Error shows up in Error Console if Adblock Plus needs to process certain types of addresses (forum topic).
July 13th, 2009Known issues:
· Thunderbird: When clicking “Subscribe” in the subscription list on first run, the entire Thunderbird window is closed. This should be fixed in Thunderbird soon (bug 503299).
· SeaMonkey: Toolbar icon looks ugly with the Modern theme. Modern theme doesn’t seem to consider the possibility of extensions, using it with Adblock Plus isn’t recommended.
· Some translations contain untranslated English strings.
· Added handling of HTTP redirects, the redirect address now shows up in the list of blockable items as well as the original address, both can be blocked.
· Added support for flexible anchors at start of filter (forum topic).
· Added support for ^ character that will match a single separator character or end of address (forum topic).
· Added support for domain exceptions in element hiding analogous to the $domain option of regular filters, e.g. “example.com,~foo.example.com##foo” or “~example.com##foo” (forum topic).
· “Block” button on plug-ins (e.g. Flash or Java) is no longer shown permanently, it only shows up when the mouse is on the plug-in area.
· Added “Re-enable Adblock Plus on this page” context menu item for pages where Adblock Plus is disabled, this removes/disables the filter responsible.
· Browser integration code runs in its own context now, this makes conflicts with other extensions less likely.
· Changed the way “add subscription” links work, these can now only be triggered by user clicking a link.
· Added diagnostic page displaying all errors related to Adblock Plus as well as Adblock Plus version/source code revision, can be opened by typing chrome://adblockplus/content/errors.html into the location bar.
· Fixed: ABP icon updates its status every two seconds, hogs CPU time.
· Fixed: Detection of background images breaks the context menu.
· Fixed: “Disable on …” doesn’t work correctly if the exception rule already exists but is disabled.
· Fixed: “Disable on …” doesn’t work correctly with rules that already exist in filter subscriptions rather than user-defined filters.
· Fixed: Input focus issues when closing list of blockable items in current Firefox nightly builds.
List of blockable items:
· Added “document source” column, hidden by default (domain name to be used for the $domain filter option, forum topic).
· Added “Disable this filter on example.com” context menu item for user-defined filters (adds $domain option as required).
· Fixed: Creating a filter for an item matching a disabled exception rule wasn’t possible again (forum topic).
· “Slow filter” warning is now a separate list column which can be used for sorting.
· Using browser’s real find bar now instead of faking it.
· “Close” button moved to the right side of the filter editor, made the button use Firefox 3 look.
· Improved position calculations for the filter editor, no longer makes the text position change.
· Fixed: Enabling/disabling many element hiding rules at once is slow.
· When a list of filters is pasted or imported, always insert comments before the filter that follows them (forum topic, forum topic).
· Fixed: Adding a filter subscription that redirects to a different address causes download failure.
· Fixed: Same filter might appear twice in the list in a particular scenario.
· Fixed: Wrong row is selected when the window is opened (worked around bug 489881).
· Added flexible anchors as an option – “at the beginning of domain name” (forum topic).
· Added “example.com^” as fourth suggestion, block the entire domain (forum topic).
· Added warning when adding a filter to a disabled filter group (forum topic).
· Dropped compatibility with old application versions and cleaned up code, now requiring at least: Firefox 3.0.9, SeaMonkey 2.0b1, Thunderbird 3.0b3, Songbird 1.2, Prism 1.0b1.
· Moved almost all application-specific code to the overlay file corresponding with that application, this should make application-specific changes easier in future.
· Fixed: Toolbar icon cannot be moved to a different location (SeaMonkey).
· Fixed: Toolbar icon might be added in one window but not another on first start (SeaMonkey and Thunderbird).
· Fixed: Indentation of some menu items of the toolbar icon’s menu too large (Songbird).
· Fixed: Adblock Plus initialization fails (Prism).
· Added explicit support for blocking fonts (@font-type CSS directive in Firefox 3.5).
· Clearing browsing history in Firefox now clears hit statistics in Adblock Plus as well (this can be disabled with the hidden extensions.adblockplus.clearStatsOnHistoryPurge preference, forum topic).
· Cleaned up data management code, made sure Adblock Plus doesn’t use up more memory than necessary.
· Fixed: Webpages can easily detect “Collapse blocked elements” option.
· Fixed: An error is reported to console on first run (patterns.ini not found).
· Fixed: Domain-restricted filters were applied to pages opened from disk.
April 16th, 2009
· New translation: Serbian
· Element hiding works in Firefox 3.0.9 and higher again (forum topic, broken by fix for bug 416942)
· Regular expressions with $domain options are recognized correctly
· Blockable items: when copying addresses or filters to clipboard platform’s linebreaks are used as separator (previously: Unix linebreaks)
· Preferences: using more compact date formatting for last hit column and last download of subscription
January 10th, 2009
· New translations: Icelandic, Kazakh
· List of recommended filter subscriptions extended and made scrollable again
· Start-up performance improvements by Nickolay Ponomarev (bug 20410, bug 20411, bug 20412)
· Added a possibility to restrict filters to some domains with the $domain=foo.com|bar.com option (documentation, forum topic)
· Blockable items: Matching disabled filters now displayed — for easier re-enabling (forum topic)
· Blockable items: New state icon for items matching disabled filters
· Blockable items: Clicking in the State column now disables/re-enables the filter
· Blockable items: Opening in new tab works properly in Songbird now
· Blockable items: Searching for filter text now possible as well
· Filter composer: extensions.adblockplus.composer_default preference now decides which suggestion should be selected by default (forum topic)
· Filter composer: Added “Select all” and “Select none” for type checkboxes (forum topic)
· Preferences: “Tip of the day” replaced by “Getting started” in Help menu
· Toolbar button now has a context menu (same as dropdown menu)
· Added support for item type “media” (will be added in Firefox 3.1 for HTML audio/video tags)
· Format version is now being saved to patterns.ini
· Regression fixed: Frames are not collapsed in some situations (forum topic)
· Fixed: Toolbar button shouldn’t have the same title as the Tools menu item
· Fixed: Element hiding might change page layout even on whitelisted sites (forum topic, issue still exists in Firefox 2.0)
· Fixed: Filter list in Preferences sometimes won’t update properly if filters are added/removed (forum topic)
· Fixed: Removed filters still apply if two different filters were translated into same regular expression
· Fixed: Filters like “[Foo]” mess up filter storage file
· Fixed: Filter list import doesn’t remove checksum comment
· Object tabs no longer shown for invisible objects
· Changed placement of object tabs in document to avoid breaking some sites (forum topic)
· K-Meleon: Fixed handling of some menu items in toolbar icon’s menu
· Fixed: Element hiding doesn’t work for chrome documents (Firefox 2.0/Thunderbird 2.0 only, forum topic)
· Fixed: $collapse flag not being read correctly from patterns.ini
· Fixed: Toolbar button shouldn’t have a drop-down arrow if extensions.adblockplus.defaulttoolbaraction preference is 0
December 2nd, 2008Known issues:
· Format of the filter storage changed so going back to a previous version requires exporting the filters and re-importing them after the downgrade
· Mac OS X: Flash movies might not be displayed properly if “Show tabs on Flash and Java” option is switched on
· Some translations contain untranslated English strings
· New filter composer dialog makes adding filters easier
· New filter options $third-party and $~third-party restrict filters to third-party/first-party requests (forum topic)
· Added translations: Armenian, Galician, Indonesian
List of blockable items:
· Tooltip now shows the filter source in addition to the filter itself (forum topic)
· Filters can now be disabled and re-enabled from the context menu (forum topic)
· Changed default action for blocked items to “Add exception rule” instead of “Edit filter”
· Made “State” the default sort order (blocked items first)
· Added support for multiple selection and copying of multiple addresses/filters (forum topic)
· Added “Select all” to the context menu
· Added “Copy filter” item to the context menu (forum topic)
· Added “Size” column (hidden by default), same information shown in the tooltip
· Changed filter color for element hiding hits (forum topic)
· Fixed: Header is hidden in full screen mode
· Eliminated delay when window is opened and much of the delay when changes are applied
· Mac OS X: Preferences menu changed into toolbar to make sure it stays inside the window (forum topic)
· Changed names for groups of user-defined filters (forum topic)
· Group/subscription titles use bold text now (forum topic)
· Added “View” menu to control visible columns and sorting, removed column picker
· Made new “View” menu the context menu for list header
· Groups containing user-defined filters can now be disabled (forum topic)
· Images for “Enabled” column made more obvious (forum topic, forum topic)
· Removed “Add filter” dummy from the list (forum topic)
· Added support for comments in all filter groups, not only “Advertisement filters”
· Comments now always stay before the same filter, regardless of sorting (also, they can be dragged even if the list is sorted)
· For invalid filters, tooltip now explains why they are invalid
· Removed user interface elements that were made obsolete by the filter composer: regular expression warning and corresponding preference extensions.adblockplus.warnregexp, dropdown list in filter editor (forum topic)
· Filter export now inserts a checksum comment into the file (forum topic)
· Added a tooltip explaining the meaning of the exclamation mark
· Added a way to disable/enable filters and subscriptions from context menu
· “Reset filter statistics” now resets “Last hit” as well (bug 18650)
· Fixed: Findbar in preferences dialog has no icons (Firefox 3)
· Fixed: Dates would sometimes use wrong character encoding (bug 441370)
· Fixed: “Edit filter in effect” might select a filter in a disabled subscription even though it exists in enabled subscriptions as well (forum topic)
· Fixed: Clicking twice on the Enabled column starts filter editor
· Fixed: Changes to “download automatically” status are not displayed immediately
· Pasting filters with spaces (in particular comments) now possible (bug 18920)
Filter subscription selection:
· First start: Filter subscription selection is opened in a new tab rather than in a separate window (bug 15786)
· First start: Filter subscription selection will show up even if other extensions already added a filter subscription they maintain.
· “Add filter subscription” from Preferences brings up filter subscription selection rather than the dialog for custom filter subscriptions.
· Added warning if Filterset.G is installed with option to uninstall automatically
· Added Adblock warning with option to uninstall automatically (this was a separate question pop-up before)
Other user interface changes:
· Regular expression warning was extended to also warn for filters that are too short to be optimized
· Warning that Adblock Plus is disabled allows re-enabling with a single click
· Removed ancient Drag&Drop handling code (not discoverable and not advertised anywhere)
· Fixed: “Disable on this page only” won’t work for pages with query string
· About Adblock Plus: Made version number selectable so that it can be copied
· About Adblock Plus: Made homepage link localizable (and different for German/French locales, bug 17136)
· Added “Adblock Plus: Blockable Items” to the View menu in Firefox (View – Toolbars menu in SeaMonkey)
· Core code was redesigned for better maintainability, code documentation and automated tests (based on Mochitest) were added for large parts of the core
· Made sure filter storage file isn’t overwritten unless write was successful (bug 16488)
· Improved performance (esp. reading filter from disk and saving filters for large filter lists), reduced the amount of memory used
· Fixed: Exception rules don’t always apply to element hiding in Firefox 3 (bug 20034)
· Firefox 1.5, Thunderbird 1.5, SeaMonkey 1.0, Songbird 0.5/0.6 are no longer supported (removed some backwards compatibility hacks)
· Flock 1.2/2.0 and Songbird 0.7/1.0 are supported now
· Added support for Prism 0.9 (forum topic)
· Added hidden preference extensions.adblockplus.savestats to allow turning off hit statistics (useful if patterns.ini is put into a version control system) (bug 18650)
· Added support for private browsing mode in Firefox 3.1, hit statistics are disabled automatically
· All first run actions are now controlled by extensions.adblockplus.currentversion preference (replaces showsubscriptions, checkedtoolbar, checkedadblockinstalled preferences)
· Changed patterns.ini format to allow user-defined comments (and potentially other filters as well) to be stored in any filter group
· Adblock Plus 0.6 preferences are no longer imported on upgrade
· Adblock preferences are no longer imported on upgrade (filter list still imported)
· Fixed: Object tabs show up on print (bug 19405)
· Fixed: “getBoxObjectFor() is deprecated” warning in error console (bug 19126)
· For subscription downloads, a comment “! Checksum: abcd” is now interpreted and files with wrong checksum are rejected to prevent broken downloads (forum topic, reference implementation to add checksums)
· Next attempt after failed download is after one day now rather than after one hour to prevent server overload (adjusted preference extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_fallbackerrors accordingly)
· Fallback request can now disable automatic downloads for subscriptions that are no longer available
· Fixed: Subscription downloads sometimes go to browser cache