A program for executing the same command on many hosts in parallel.
The output produced by the children is received by shmux and either (optionally) output in turn to the user using an easy to read format, or written to files for later processing making it well suited for use in scripts.
- When used in a script:
- Ability to define what is and what is not an error for the command being run (based on exit code and output content)
- Output and exit codes are saved into files to facilitate use from a script.
- When used interactively (directly on the command line, or from within a script/wrapper):
- Well formatted output
- Standard error output displayed in bold
- Real-time status shown
- Ability to pause, resume, quit cleanly
- Automatically pause on error, allowing the user to cleanly stop before more goes wrong
- Ability to hide output of successful targets
- Mixed or un-mixed target outputs