Xpdf project is a viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files. (These are also sometimes also called 'Acrobat' files, from the name of Adobe's PDF software.) The Xpdf project also includes a PDF text extractor, PDF-to-PostScript converter, and various other utilities.
It runs under the X Window System on UNIX, VMS, and OS/2. The non-X components (pdftops, pdftotext, etc.) also run on Win32 systems, and should run on pretty much any system with a decent C++ compiler. Xpdf is designed to be small and efficient. It can use Type 1 and TrueType fonts.
What's New in This Release:
· This release fixes security holes with the following CVE identifiers: CVE-2007-4352, CVE-2007-5392, and CVE-2007-5393.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The "fixed pitch" text extraction mode was added. "pdftops -paper match" was modified to handle PDF files with different-sized pages, so it will now select the matching paper size on a page-by-page basis.
· The ability for pdftoppm to write to stdout was added.
· The pdfdetach tool was added. 256-bit AES decryption was implemented.
· The t1lib section was commented out in the configure script, since t1lib has some potential security holes, and hasn't been updated in years.
· The font configuration xpdfrc commands were redesigned.
· The license was changed from GPLv2 to dual v2/v3 licensing.