Ubuntu Usplash Smooth is a nice and smart Usplash theme for Ubuntu 8.10.
Now the progress bar is time-based!
What does it means?
The original Ubuntu Usplash progress bar didn't tell you much information.
It moves in small/huge increments, and sometimes stands still for a few seconds.
This Ubuntu Usplash Smooth does it different!
It remembers the time of your previous boot/shutdown, and will smoothly increase the bar according to this time. Since the boot/shutdown times change very little, you will get a very precise bar with a very smooth animation showing exactly how much time is left!
Check it for yourself!
Modesty aside(!), this is how the usplash progress bar should have been done from the beginning!
Easily packaged in a DEB file, you just have to install it, and boot your computer a couple times. The first boot/shutdown will be quite off the mark, of course, since the Usplash Ubuntu Smooth still don't know how much time it will take to complete. But from the second boot/shutdown onwards, you will simply fall in love!
If you hate it for any reason... just uninstall it, and your system will return to the original configuration.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Now the progressbar will freeze while ubuntu is performing a filesystem check. And the status progress will be displayed in text below!
· Usplash-smooth now saves the correct boot time even if a filesystem check happens! No more wrong boot times in the next boot.
· Fix the problem with the start of the animation during boot, that only appeared after the second block of the bar. Now the animation is smooth since the beginning.
· Improved the package scripts, installation and description.
· Added the function time_elapsed() in libusplash-smooth, to give even more tools for theme creators to perform smooth animations.
· Theme creators, version 0.5 will be dedicated for you. Be prepared to create a smooth version of your theme!