Turma is tool used to search (and replace) for text blocks in multiple files & (sub)directories.
-let's say you have many files containing the following text:
and now you want to replace the paragraph above with
turma allows you to select
and replace it with
just as easy as copy&paste. Don't you believe me?
Give it a try! You'll see I'm right.
Another (useful) example would be: you have to replace the licence
and copyright notice in more than 1000 files located in a single directory
(including subdirectories). You have 4 options:
1. don't do it (ETA: 0 sec)
2. one by one (ETA: many hours)
3. make a perl/awk+sed/whatever script to do it (ETA: I wish I didn't know)
4. use turma (ETA: 30 seconds)
· Doesn't correctly handle symlinked directories
· Problems with dos text files (cr/lf) due to GTK Text widget
· Unstable locale support
· It doesn't backup modified files (you should do it)