SDict Viewer 0.5.2
SDict Viewer is a viewer for dictionaries in open format developed by AXMA Soft.
Here are some key features of "SDict Viewer":
· Works with dictionaries in AXMASoft's open dictionary format. Get dictionaries at Sdictionary community site
· Works with multiple dictionaries at the same time
· Rich article text formatting
· Hyperlinks in article text: references to other articles and external links (any string that starts with http://, opens in external web browser)
· Displays list of possible word completions as you type
· Words in completion list are grouped by language
· Displays multiple articles if word selected is present in multiple opened dictionaries
· Allows to copy full article or selected text to clipboard
· Keeps word lookup history
· Allows to select font for phonetic transcriptions (additional font installation may be required)
· Displays detailed dictionary information
· Virtual keyboard disappears unexpectedly when user starts to modify word input while a word is selected in word completion list. You may find it more convenient to clear the word input with "Cancel" key or "Clear" button before starting next lookup.
· When word lists from several dictionaries in the same language are merged the resulting list may not be correctly sorted. Sorting applied uses non-language aware string comparisons. Maybe PyICU is the way to do it properly, but I don't think Maemo port exists yet.
· In large dictionaries lookup of certain words may take a relatively long time. This is mostly due to the fact that most dictionaries use only 3 level short index. When a number of words that starts with the same 3 letters is large the further down the list the word is the longer its lookup takes. Starting from 0.5.0 SDict Viewer indexes under-indexed portions of dictionaries on the fly as it encounters them, so first lookup may be very slow, subsequent lookups of the same or similar words are usually much faster.
· References to other articles may not work in some cases: a word in one form may be tagged as reference, but dictionary only contains this word in a different form. Current dictionary format doesn't provide any additional information to properly resolve the reference. How often a user may encounter this depends a lot on a specific dictionary and specific language.
· Scrolling large articles is slow.
· GTK+ version 2.4.x
What's New in This Release:
· This release improves handling of large dictionaries like Wikipedia.
· Many other bugs were fixed.