Himerge is a GUI for emerge (Gentoo's Portage system) written in Haskell using gtk2hs.
It also offers several handy tools, like global and local use flags browsers, inspired by UFED (the Gentoo Linux USE flags editor). It also uses eix (a small utility for searching ebuilds with indexing for fast results) as a back-end command to show package information in HTML/CSS format, so you can access a package's Web site for a quick glance.
- Access the whole portage tree using the 'Category', 'Package', 'Version' views.
- Category: List all the categories of the repository. This is /usr/portage by default, but you can specify a new one (overlays.)
- Package: List all the packages inside a category.
- Version: List all the available versions of a specific package.
- Run the most common 'emerge' operations with just one click: emerge, unmerge, binpkg, fetch, usepkg and more.
- Sync the tree pressing a button.
- Himerge makes you working around a queue of packages, so you can easily remove and add packages to this queue, and choose what operations you want to apply on them.
- Update world. The package queue method of Himerge makes it very flexible to select which package to remove or add on a system updating.
- Quick access through the information window to the web site of each package. (Himerge will open a firefox or mozilla compatible browser for this, just be sure you have a binary named 'firefox' on the path)
- See what it is happening. Himerge has a 'View' system that allows to watch the output of each operation, so, you 'as' a Gentoo user, don't miss anything ;-)
- Resizable windows. You can change the size of the main panels of Himerge, so you can get a complete view for any operation you are doing.
- USE Flag Browser. Himerge has an USE Flag browser that lets you to choose with just one click if you want to add or remove a flag.
- Package Branch Browser. This is a browser that makes editing easy for the files inside /etc/portage/. The functionality of this browser is connected to the view of packages of Himerge, so you can easily 'keyword', 'mask', 'unmask', or even specify which use flags to select for a package from a single right click over a package name.
- Access some extra operations like: update metadata, rebuild dependencies.
- Himerge uses 'eix' as a back-end for fast indexing and searching of packages.
- You can easily save the log of the output of 'any' operation from Himerge, use "Save Current Page" , or "Save All Pages" from the menu , choose a file name and done. This comes in handy when you have to report package bugs or information to developers.
- Himerge allows you to check the ebuild file for a package and even edit it. It also shows the Changelog file for each selected package.
- Himerge supports overlays. All the operations are equally available for your own repositories too.
- And more!
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Improved the package web panel and fixed a bug that showed an invalid pop-up error window sometimes when clicking on the package homepage web link.
- Added the option 'Load File' as a menu item and accelerator. This option allows to load a previously saved Queue file back into an active Queue in the Control Panel.
- Check in a more concise way for printable characters to show in the text panels.