GtkSort project is a disk sort utility for text and binary files.
GtkSort is a multiprocessor external disk sorter and data manipulator for systems that support GTK+.
Here are some key features of "GtkSort":
· Sort large data sets much faster than the standard sort utility of the operating system.
· Sort by binary data or text data keys.
· Sort on a limited number of twelve keys.
· Support Fixed Length Record (FLR) text or binary files with fixed size keys.
· Support Variable Length Record (VLR) text files (lines of text) with delimited or fixed size keys.
· Use multiple processors and disks in parallel.
· Perform ascending or descending sort of each key.
· Preview the keys of the unsorted input and the sorted output.
· Use memory dynamically according to the limitations set by the user.
· Exploit CPU and file system specific characteristics such as the L2 cache size, the D cache size and the disk I/O block size.