A disk sort utility for text and binary files
GtkSort is a multiprocessor external disk sorter and data manipulator for systems that support GTK+.
- Sort large data sets much faster than the standard sort utility of the operating system.
- Sort by binary data or text data keys.
- Sort on a limited number of twelve keys.
- Support Fixed Length Record (FLR) text or binary files with fixed size keys.
- Support Variable Length Record (VLR) text files (lines of text) with delimited or fixed size keys.
- Use multiple processors and disks in parallel.
- Perform ascending or descending sort of each key.
- Preview the keys of the unsorted input and the sorted output.
- Use memory dynamically according to the limitations set by the user.
- Exploit CPU and file system specific characteristics such as the L2 cache size, the D cache size and the disk I/O block size.