patch is a software that takes a patch file containing a difference listing produced by the diff program and applies those differences to one or more original files, producing patched versions.
Normally the patched versions are put in place of the originals. Backups can be made.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Support has been added for diff3-style merges and for most features of the "diff --git" format, including renames and copies, permission changes, and symlink diffs, but not including binary diffs.
· Filenames can now be double-quoted as C string literals.
· Normal patches are no longer applied to symlinks (this behavior can be reverted with the new "--follow-symlinks" option).
· Timestamps with timezones are now honored correctly.
· Messages have been improved.
· Behavior and handling in several scenarios has been improved.
· Various minor bugs have been fixed.