Dikt is very similar to web browsers, and it should be equally easy to use. It has the advantage over web browsers that is much smaller and faster. Web dictionaries are good for off searches, but when you need to work with a dictionary, you will want a dedicated application.
- Dict protocol support:
- Dikt implements the client side of Dict protocol which lets you make advanced dictionary searches. See Dict web site for information on Dict protocol.
- Network application:
- Dikt looks up words on dict servers, so there is no need to install any dictionaries.
- Browser interface:
- Dikt is very similar to web browsers, with the advantage that it is much smaller then web browsers and faster then web dictionaries.
- Browser history:
- Dikt lets you navigate through the past definitions and matches.
- HTML formatting:
- Dikt can convert plain text definitions into HTML which is much easier to read. You can write your custom formatting. You can also apply your custom colors to HTML text.
- Retrieving suggestions:
- When no matches are found, Dikt will suggest possible corrections.
- Looking up selected text:
- Simply select the text anywhere on your desktop, and Dikt will look it up.
- Dict Url support:
- Use a Dict Url in the form dict://host/word to look up a word on any server.
- Database groups:
- Several databases can be grouped together to behave like a single dictionary.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- There is now a single history menu that unifies backward and forward history
- If you are upgrading from a previous version and the history button doesn't appear on the toolbar, remove your xmlgui file - $HOME/.kde*/share/apps/dikt/diktui.rc , and start dikt again.