ne application is a text editor based on the POSIX standard that runs (we hope) on almost any UN*X machine.
ne is easy to use for the beginner, but powerful and fully configurable for the wizard, and most sparing in its resource usage.
If you have the resources and the patience to use emacs or the right mental twist to use vi then probably ne is not for you. However, being fast, small, powerful and simple to use, ne is ideal for email, editing through phone line (or slow GSM/GPRS) connections and so on.
Moreover, the internal text representation is very compact�you can easily load and modify very large files.
Here are some key features of "ne":
· three user interfaces: control keystrokes, command line, and menus; keystrokes and menus are completely configurable;
· full support for UTF-8 files, including multiple-column characters;
· the number of documents and clips, the dimensions of the display, and the file/line lengths are limited only by the integer size of the machine;
· simple scripting language where scripts can be generated via an idiotproof record/play method;
· unlimited undo/redo capability (can be disabled with a command);
· automatic preferences system based on the extension of the file name being edited;
· a file requester with completion features for easy file retrieval;
· extended regular expression search and replace a la emacs and vi;
· editing of binary files.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed ridiculously old bug when copying a block and the marker is after the cursor.
· Tweak to syntax file for java.
· Changed build date in "About" to ISO YYYY-MM-DD format.
· Tweak suspend to signal process group; reduce chance of apparent hang.
· Instantaneous window resize works again.
· Now we display an error message (instead of crashing or returning an I/O error) when a file is too large (>=2GiB).
· We no longer set the buffer filename in case of I/O error.