A free editor easy to use for the beginner, but powerful for the wizard.
ne is easy to use for the beginner, but powerful and fully configurable for the wizard, and most sparing in its resource usage.
If you have the resources and the patience to use emacs or the right mental twist to use vi then probably ne is not for you. However, being fast, small, powerful and simple to use, ne is ideal for email, editing through phone line (or slow GSM/GPRS) connections and so on.
Moreover, the internal text representation is very compact�you can easily load and modify very large files.
- three user interfaces: control keystrokes, command line, and menus; keystrokes and menus are completely configurable;
- full support for UTF-8 files, including multiple-column characters;
- the number of documents and clips, the dimensions of the display, and the file/line lengths are limited only by the integer size of the machine;
- simple scripting language where scripts can be generated via an idiotproof record/play method;
- unlimited undo/redo capability (can be disabled with a command);
- automatic preferences system based on the extension of the file name being edited;
- a file requester with completion features for easy file retrieval;
- extended regular expression search and replace a la emacs and vi;
- editing of binary files.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Pathologically long-running PARAGRAPH commands are now stoppable (^-\).
- Moved modified flag '*' to right end of status line to be easier to see.
- COPY, CUT, ERASE copy the correct text to the clip and do not crash any more when in free form mode and cursor or mark is beyond the end of a line.
- ReplaceOnce was returining a generic error code instead of success, thus stopping macros.