fausterize 0.8.1 / 0.9.0 Beta
Encrypting text editor
The password is a file, a file per document, i.e. fausterize employs a one-time-pad algorithm.
* Simple password
* Simple well described alogrithm
* Nice ui
java str -> byte (charset utf8) -> byte wise xor with Huffman encoded pad file -> byte wise translation to lines from faust
After all the regular encryption fausterize further encodes the bytes into lines of the novel faust by Goethe (thanxs to Project Gutenberg). This does not enhance security but it's neat. One positive effect is that the result could be send via email without triggering spam or virus filters.
Security or Let's break the Algorithm
1. If the pad file is random enough and used only for one document the security is good enough
2. How to allow any file as pad file ? zip it. Packing a file produces byte steams that are sufficiently random. If not there would be further packing possible.
3. using java zip this is simple, but what if the java implementation changes lightly? use your own packaging, i.e. a simple Huffman encoding should do it.
4. If someone has access to my machine and the pad file is one the machine how easy is it find the right pad file? Possible answers, add a password, never have the file on the same machine
* Summery: fausterize should be save enough to withstand statistical attacks or brute force attacks as long as the padfile is not on the machine.
* Corollary: don't forget the pad file
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 0.9.0 Beta
- # 85: undo/redo
- # 96: README.txt
- # 70: exe for windows
- # 71: debian (unbuntu…) packages for linux