A text editor with cryptography features
The CryptoTE project is a text editor with integrated strong cryptography. It is based on the popular Scintilla widget and automatically stores text data in secure encrypted container files. Compared to other "password keeper" programs, CryptoTE does not force any structure upon your data: it works with plain ASCII text and does not require you to fill in grids, key-value attributes, descriptions etc. Encryption is transparently performed using the highly-secure Serpent cipher. The editing interface is thoroughly optimized for speed and ease of use. Multiple subfiles, Quick-Find and a two-click random password generator make daily use very convenient.
- User-friendly Scintilla text editing widget, the same as used by Notepad++.
- Edits secure private container files holding multiple text or binary files.
- Highly-secure Serpent (256 keybits) encryption of sensitive data.
- Automatic compression using zlib or bzip2 to reduce container size.
- Multiple user passwords can be specified to access a container.
- Fast user-interface: Quick-Find and Quick-Goto bars like Firefox's find. I use the program myself almost every day.
- Auto-Close the container after a user-defined period of inactivity.
- Built-in password generator to insert new passwords in the text.
- Portable, self-sufficient executable files for Windows and Linux available, very useful for USB sticks.
- Sleek wxAui tabbed interface from the newest wxWidgets version.
- Also usable from the Unix/Linux command line on a text console e.g. via ssh.
- Modularized and well-tested container processing library.
- Translated into German (volunteers for more languages wanted).
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!