Gedit Symbol Browser Plugin is a Ctags-based symbol browser plugin for Gedit, the GNOME text editor.
Gedit Symbol Browser Plugin is a plugin for Gedit based on Exuberant Ctags which parses source code and displays functions, classes, variables, and other symbols in a tree in the left pane. Double clicking the symbols jumps to that function in the source file.
Here are some key features of "Gedit Symbol Browser Plugin":
· Supports 34 programming languages (based on ctags)
· Symbols displayed in a tree grouped by symbol type
· Icons for symbols can be added for any symbol type ctags can parse
· Works with local and remote files (SSH, FTP, etc.)
· View symbols from active tab or from all opened documents
· Optionally show line number, programming language, and source file in the tree
· Double-click a symbol to jump to it in the source code
· GTK+ version 2.10.x
· Exuberant Ctags
cp gedit-symbol-browser-plugin*.tar.gz ~/.gnome2/gedit/
tar -xzf gedit-symbol-browser-plugin*.tar.gz
If a binary package isn’t available, you have to compile the plugin yourself. If you do so, please email the plugin files to me so that I can provide a binary package.
Download and extract the gedit sources to a folder. Download Gedit Symbol Browser Plugin sources and extract to the gedit sources plugins folder (ex: gedit-2.20.3/plugins/).
Edit config.ac, adding 2 lines to AC_CONFIG_FILES
Edit plugins/Makefile.am, adding to ’symbolbrowser’ to DIST_SUBDIRS and SUBDIRS.
Run autoconf and automake in the gedit source dir and then make in the symbolbrowser plugin dir:
Copy plugin files:
cp symbolbrowser.gedit-plugin .libs/libsymbolbrowser.so ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins/
cp -r symbols ~/.gnome2/gedit/