AUCTeX is an extensible package for writing and formatting TeX files in GNU Emacs and XEmacs.
Here are some key features of "AUCTeX":
· Insert macros, environments and headings with a simple key stroke or via a menu entry. AUCTeX will help you by prompting for parameters in case of known macros and environments. There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros available as well.
· Use keyboard shortcuts for inserting math.
· Sophisticated fontification and indentation of TeX/LaTeX macros and environments.
· Fold macros and environments and show their contents or a pre-defined string instead. You can temporarily show the folded content again for editing.
· Run various TeX/LaTeX interpreters and related programs like BibTeX or makeindex from within Emacs.
· View errors of the compiler run and jump to the respective place in the TeX/LaTeX source code.
· Start viewers for DVI, PostScript and PDF output from within Emacs.
· Use forward and inverse search with DVI viewers.
Extensibility and customizability:
· Support for macros and environments of many TeX/LaTeX packages with the use of style files.
· Easily extensible by writing your own style files.
· Many aspects of AUCTeX can be adapted to fit your personal working style via the customize mechanism provided by Emacs.
What's New in This Release:
· A new function TeX-doc for accessing docs on C-c ?.
· New "Clean" and "Clean All" commands for intermediate and output files. pdfsync support (forward search in PDF files).
· LaTeX comes with its own toolbar enabled by default.
· Some bugs have been fixed.