Open Source ThinClient solution.
OpenThinClient is intended for environments where a medium to large number of Thin Clients must be supported and managed efficiently. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary Thin Client Solutions, openThinClient empowers developers and integrators to create advanced Thin Client solutions... for free.
openThinClient is released as an open source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL) v2, and it is available for download free of charge.
openThinClient has three main features, distinguishing it from most of the other thin client solutions:
- The difference with the greatest impact is its server centralistic approach that minimises administrative work. The thin client only needs a PXE-capable network interface and no local storage i.e. flash or hard disk. All configuration data is held within a LDAP database that comes with the openThinClient Server or an MS-Active Directory.
- The openThinClient Manager and the openThinClient Server are written in Java so they will run on any OS that is supported by Sun Java 6.
- And best of all, you get a complete open source thin client solution free of charge.
Learn more about the openthinclient philosophy and how it can fit your company's needs.
Thin Clients & Security/Safety
In a traditional PC environment there are many opportunities to steal unprotected data or to install unwanted data via USB-stick, CD or DVD. Effective control of this, is nearly impossible to achieve. Data is often stored on client PCs, which makes the situation even worse.
Server Based Computing offers substantial advantages, not only regarding possible attacks from the outside or theft of data. It has great potential in data safety and availability as well.
It doesn't take much effort, compared to decentral organised PC networks with spreaded server locations, to build an efficient data storage and a highly available and fail proof (redundant) infrastructure.
Thin Clients & Green IT
With the ongoing debate about climate change, the question how to save energy has been brought to the centre of attention in the IT-world right now. The Fraunhofer institute UMSICHTexternal link has compared the energy and resource consumption of PC and Thin Client infrastructures in a recent study.
In doing so they considered the whole product life cycle, including the production, operation and recycling phases. The conclusion was, that Thin Clients weigh about 70% less than normal PCs even if the server is included and take about 80% less transportation volume.
The production of Thin Clients itself needs less resources and energy than the production of normal PCs. The devices offer substantial advantages in production and logistics.
During normal use, Thin Clients only need half of the energy a normal PC would and in doing so they are not only economically but also ecologically a good alternative to avoid CO2- emissions and electronic waste.
The openThinClient product family
The openThinClient product family offers a powerful, universal solution for the Thin Client Computing needs of a wide range of organizations. In its open source version the software - consisting of the openthinclient Manager, the openthinclient OS and the openthinclient Server - is freely available. It may be used, customized and extended to your needs.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- This version provides comprehensive kernel and system updates and support for the latest hardware.
- It now allows you to connect with low-infrastructure branch offices.
- In addition to regular network boot, it offers a local boot option with central configuration and update options, resulting in a server-independent start-up.
- Smart card support via RDP and ICA is integrated.