Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE is a replacement for SuSE's Yast OnlineUpdate (YOU). It uses the same update description files and is therefore a complete, lightweight alternative.
Here are some key features of "Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE":
· Fast and reliable update
· Supports SuSE Linux 8.1 to 10.0 and most SuSE business products
· Especially designed for usage in cron jobs
· Interactive mode for full control
· Network-wide updates from the same update directory possible (Even with different SuSE versions!)
· Bandwidth-limit in kbyte/sec for downloads *new*
· Support for non-YOU RPM's, e.g. packman or supplementary (KDE, Gnome, Mozilla) updates *new*
· FTP server benchmarking tool included
· Proxy support
· Automatic resuming of downloads
· Management of offline machines - fou4s can import/export machine data and packages *new*
· Remote host checking, even if fou4s is not installed there *new*
· Filtering (install only security updates, or skip optional packages)
· Interactive ftp server selection
· SuSEconfig is called, after an update is finished (can be turned off)
· Warns the user, if processes are accessing deleted files (which means, that the update is not complete)
· Installation of additional RPMs from the update directory
· Support for the new patch.rpm updates on SuSE 8.0 and higher
What's New in This Release:
· This release is the first version with SuSE 10.1 support.
· It is a very early beta.
· Don't use it with older SuSE versions; it will probably be unable to update itself.