Autossh is a program to monitor and automatically reestablish SSH connections.
Autossh has been compiled and tested on OpenBSD, Linux, and Solaris, and should run without needing changes on FreeBSD and NetBSD.
Here are some key features of "Autossh":
· autossh is a program to start a copy of ssh and monitor it, restarting it as necessary should it die or stop passing traffic. The idea is from rstunnel (Reliable SSH Tunnel), but implemented in C.
· The author's view is that it is not as fiddly as rstunnel to get to work.
· Connection monitoring using a loop of port forwardings or a remote echo service.
· Backs off on rate of connection attempts when experiencing rapid failures such as connection refused.
· Compiled and tested on OpenBSD, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Cygwin, and AIX; should work on other BSDs.
What's New in This Release:
· This release adds a maximum lifetime option, a compile time option for touching the PID file on each connection test, and a fix for looping on poll.