SoftwareUpdate is a Java class that assists with adding an automatic software-update feature to applications.
It doesn't perform the update, but takes care of administrative stuff like looking up the version number of the latest version, with the ability to distinguish and check different places based on operating system.
SoftwareUpdate also builds the OS-specific URLs to make it easy to do a quick latest-version check in any desktop or server application.
· Java 1.4 or later is recommended (that's where it is developed and tested).
· SoftwareUpdate is a Java class packaged in a JAR file, and has no external dependencies that are not part of the standard JRE for 1.4 and later.
What's New in This Release:
· After instantiating, you must now call loadConfig().
· The config file is not loaded in the constructor because it may throw exceptions.
· This version uses a server-side config file to hold settings for the remote updater, which replaces the former scheme in which "version" and "hash" file names were provided.
· The download URL is now in the config file.
· This will allow changing of the URL at will, or retrieving downloads from locations other than the baseURL.
· Because the download URL comes from the server at check-time, installed copies in the field will use a changed URL immediately.