ControlTier application aims to be a complete enterprise-ready automation solution. It is our goal to provide the tools needed to automate the build, release, deployment, configuration, and control of distributed, multi-tier applications. When it comes to ease of use and out of the box functionality, we haven't met all of our goals yet but we are working hard to do so. Any comments, questions, or criticisms are always welcome.
ControlTier coordinates and automates the chain of events that take place when you build and deploy a collection of integrated applications (what we call a "site").
You'll use ControlTier to:
- Coordinate your build processes (interfaces with build tools like Ant)
- Manage your build artifacts and other deployable resources in a structured repository
- Coordinate the distribution, configuration, and control of the various applications that makeup a site
Unlike most automation solutions that are focused exclusively on hardware and OS provisioning in production environments, ControlTier was built to focus on the application build and deployment processes that run all the way from Development, through QA, and into Production.
Here are some key features of "ControlTier":
· Framework for sequencing and coordinating automation
· Configuration management database
· Logical remote management (manage lots of things as one logical unit, no matter where they physically reside)
· GUI based development and operations tools
· Improved reuse and componentization of your existing scripts and configurations
· Change detection and configuration validation
· Application status discovery and detection
· Fine-grain access control
· Release migration tools
· Logging (with environment context built-in)
· Reporting and correlation tools
· Cross-platform support (Linux, Solaris, Windows, Mac OS X, etc.)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Notable bug fixes:
· Workflows with command error handlers may not have been passing options correctly to the error handler command (Bug #2888149).
· Using JNDI authorization could cause a NPE when roles exist in the directory without any members (Bug #2887979).
· The ctl-depot -a remove action was not removing everything cleanly (Bug #2880656).
· The ClientInstaller module did not make use of the server.hostname property for the installer (Bug #2894072).
· Dispatching commands was incorrectly using the hostname to determine if the node was local or not (Bug #2893443).
· Reportcenter's "Command" filter was not working (Bug #2899533).
· Jobcenter would not list scheduled jobs created by another user (Bug #2896263).
· Sending mail via a success/error handler was not working with java 1.6 (Bug #2880643).
· Type.xml generation on the server
· Workbench now generates type.xml files when modules are packaged, allowing easier transition to source-based module development. (Request #2898788).
· script-exec support for dav:// script paths
· You can now use dav:// URLs in your calls to script-exec (Request #2886738).
· Bug #2880643 Fix OpenJDK 1.6 mail compatibility problem
· Bug #2895404 Package Deployment not deleting zip packages
· Bug #2895038 Fix error in scmImport
· Bug #2892977 ctl-setup should create CTL_BASE if necessary
· Bug #2892898 modules install to $CTL_BASE/modules, not depot's modules
· Bug #2889604 Node authorization problem with project XML
· Bug #2889602 Avoid running ctl-depot twice to complete creation
· Bug #2888149 workflow error handler command missing opts
· Bug #2887979 jndi role NPE bug
· Bug #2880656 Fix ctl-depot remove life-cycle
· Bug #2899400 script-exec task incorrectly sets default executable on Cygwin
· Bug #2896346 Make JBossServer setting constraints singletons
· Bug #2896340 Fix JBoss 5.1.0 GA ports bindings
· Bug #2896313 Setting values in Type view show html entity
· Bug #2896123 Service should facilitate full use of change dependencies
· Bug #2896077 runChangeDependencies should always equivalence opts.version
· Bug #2895474 Adjust ctl-setup to honor shared group setup
· Bug #2894740 Fix JBoss 5.1.0 GA ports bindings
· Bug #2894072 Added server.hostname to the ClientInstaller options
· Bug #2893459 Differentiate between host and node object names in demo
· Bug #2893443 Dispatch command should use framework.node.name ...
· Bug #2892323 XML generation fails for Setting objects
· Bug #2891005 bash completion bug for module completion
· Bug #2888180 ctl-depot fails when a Package is installed directly to Node
· Bug #2880647 Add basedir to rpmBuilder createPackage command
· Bug #2879984 Change dependencies doesn't use package referrer constraint
· Bug #2873718 ctl-setup produces incomplete CTL_BASE configuration
· Bug #2872000 Fix the CruiseControl project setup working directory
· Bug #2899533 Command filter doesn't work
· Bug #2899408 shell-exec task does not download dav scripts to CTL var
· Bug #2899278 success-handler XML generated even if unset
· Bug #2896263 scheduled jobs hidden from other users
· Bug #2873594 unsaved jobs cause exception after completion
· Bug #2873016 tags with "." character cause JSP error
· Bug #2870153 shellutil#exec doesn't fail on non-zero exit code
· Bug #2893522 HSQLDB data source is not being correctly generated
· Bug #2892311 Fix start command to run from JBoss base
· Bug #2892277 Add the means to deploy the JBoss AS Zip
· Bug #2892268 Fix JBoss stop to work with "slim" logging
· Bug #2892208 Fix JBoss Stop workflow to be less misleading
· Bug #2891036 netutil#email does not work with blank user/pass
· Bug #2891019 Remove unused email settings
· Bug #2891004 java.home set to the jre
· Bug #2876552 ctl-depot remove, create, install cycle broken under 3.4.8
· Bug #2874244 ctl framework properties SSL default wrong
· Bug #2871603 Workbench does not escape setting values on object pages
RPM creation related bugs:
· Bug #2899320 Make sure the server RPM sets CTIER_ROOT properly
· Bug #2898793 Substitute su for sudo in the RPM installers
· Bug #2892050 user setup and rc file setup in server rpm
· Bug #2892047 fix server RPM file/dir permissions. umask in profile
· Bug #2895425 Adjust the client RPM ctierrc to setup CTL_BASE
· Bug #2893694 landing page incorrect details after server rpm install
· Bug #2893685 bash_completion error msgs when CTL_BASE missing
· Bug #2893583 client rpm: ctl-setup fails on ctier group user
· Bug #2893444 ctierrc should honor preset CTL_BASE
· Bug #2893402 Server RPM should sort out open file limits ...
· Bug #2892979 Common ctierrc should be moved ...
· Bug #2892978 Server RPM should start ctier ...