Zhcon is a fast double-byte virtual console (terminal) for Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK) running under GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.
Here are some key features of "Zhcon":
· Video card support Support a broad range of video hardware through three drivers: FrameBuffer/VGA/libggi. No need to recompile kernel (VGA driver).
· Multi-language Support GB2312/GBK/BIG5/JIS/KSCM double-byte encodings.
· Automaticly GB/Big5 detection and conversion.
· Hot key to change encoding on the fly.
· 12 - 24 pixel font Can use large font for bigger screens like 1280x1024
· Input Method Support Win98 and UCDOS IME tables, can also use UNICON's input method.
· Misc Display table lines correctly under CJK mode.
· Built-in history scrolling.
· Platforms GNU/Linux (Redhat 7.x/8.x/9.x, Debian, Mandrake 8.x) and FreeBSD.
QUICK FB SETUP
Set console as fb device
Add line to /etc/lilo.conf as below:
The following table shows the mode numbers you can input at the VGA prompt or for use with the LILO program. (actually these numbers are plus 0x200 to make it easier to refer to the table)
Colours 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200
4 bits| ? ? 0x302 ? ? ?
8 bits| 0x300 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307 0x31C
15 bits| ? 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319 0x31D
16 bits| ? 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A 0x31E
24 bits| ? 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B 0x31F
32 bits| ? ? ? ? ? ?
Key: 8 bits = 256 colours, 15 bits = 32, 768 colours, 16 bits = 65, 536 colours, 24 bits = 16.8 million colours, 32 bits - same as 24 bits, but the extra 8 bits can be used for other things, and fits perfectly with a 32 bit PCI/VLB /EISA bus.
Additional modes are at the discretion of the manufacturer, as the VESA 2.0 document only defines modes up to 0x31F. You may need to do some fiddling around to find these extra modes.
CTRL_ALT_H: pop up online help
CTRL_SPACE: open/close input method
ALT_SPACE: show/hide input bar(open/close CJK mode)
CTRL_, : toggle Full/Half char mode
CTRL_.: toggle Chinese symbol
CTRL_F1: set encode to GB2312
CTRL_F2: set encode to GBK
CTRL_F3: set encode to BIG5
CTRL_F4: set encode to JIS
CTRL_F5: set encode to KSC
CTRL_F7: toggle input style
CTRL_F9: toggle GB2312/BIG5 auto-detect mode
CTRL_F10: menu mode
CTRL_ALT_1 - CTRL_ALT_9: switch to input method 1 to 9
CTRL_ALT_0: English mode
History mode keys:
SHIFT_PAGEUP: scroll up half screen in history
SHIFT_PAGEDOWN: scroll down half screen in history
SHIFT_ARROWUP: scroll up one line in history
SHIFT_ARROWDOWN: scroll down one in history
What's New in This Release:
· Fixed: segfault caused by the following changes
· change /etc/zhcon.cof to $prefix/etc/zhcon.conf
· Added: more user friend message when zhcon can not open graphical device