Wayland itself is not a X11 server, it's actually just a compositor's protocol to talk to clients such as Weston, which can run as an X client.
Other clients for Wayland can be X servers (fullscreen or rootless) or usual apps.
A C library implementation of Wayland is also available.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Raspberry Pi backend (Pekka)
· Optimize damage handling when moving surfaces in and out of planes (Ander)
· Scanout of transformed buffers (Ander)
· Touch screen calibration feature and client (Rob Bradford)
· pixman renderer (Vasily Khoruzhick)
· SDK for out-of-tree module development
· Use EXT_buffer_age in KMS backend (Ander)
· fbdev backend (Philip Whitnall)
· RDP backend (Hardening)
· Headless backend (Ander)
· libunwind support for better crash dumps (Kristian)
· Proper support for popup surfaces (Giulio Camuffo)
· Documentation improvement (Tiago Vignatti, Matthias Clasen, Peter Hutterer)