Minirighi is a multi-threading operating system for IA-32 architecture. The main feature of Minirighi is its light kernel, easy to read from all, simply by analyzing the source code, unlike many other open-source kernels.
Thanks to this facility it can be used for didactic purposes, to deepen the OS development techniques or the study of particular architectures, from the newbies or students to the most expert users.
From this point of view, Minirighi, can be a profit tool both for those people that want to test high-level algorithms, since the fundamental routines have already been written; but can also be useful for the driver developers, that can improve the already existing routines and test these in a relatively simple system.
Everyone will be able to easily modify the sources to adapt Minirighi to its own purposes; for example it could be adapted to real-time systems, with a little amount of code, since the operators to manage time constraints and ISR are already present.
The lightness and the modularity of the kernel will also make it useful for the development of systems devoted to particular devices or technologies, that don't require heavy user-friendly or graphical interfaces.
Besides, thanks to its modularity and lightness, it will easily be adaptable to the new technologies.
Minirighi is under the terms of the GNU (GPL) General Public License.
· GCC version 3.2.2 or later;
· BINUTILS package version 2.13.90 or later;
· MTOOLS version 3.9.8 or later for automatic installation;
· GRUB 0.92 or later to load the kernel.
1. Unpack the source code (the 'x' represent the version os the image):
tar xvjf minirighi32-x.xx.xx.tar.bz2
2. Enter in the toplevel directory of minirighi distribution:
3. Make the library, kernel and applications:
4. If you want to make a bootable floppy disk, insert the disk into the drive and run:
5. Verify that the image has been written successfully by trying to access the disk. It should contain a valid FAT12 file system.
6. Reboot the PC.
After this, the GRUB loader should appear, giving you the option of booting Minirighi. Choose this option, press Enter, wait for it to load the kernel and with a bit of luck you can enjoy yourself with Minirighi.