MenuetOS is an operating system in development for the PC written entirely in 32/64 bit assembly language. Menuet64 is released under License and Menuet32 under GPL. Menuet supports 32/64 bit x86 assembly programming for smaller, faster and less resource hungry applications.
Menuet isn't based on other operating system nor has it roots within UNIX or the POSIX standards. The design goal, since the first release in year 2000, has been to remove the extra layers between different parts of an OS, which normally complicate programming and create bugs.
Menuet's application structure isn't specifically reserved for asm programming since the header can be produced with practically any other language. However, the overall application programming design is intended for 32/64 bit asm programming. Menuet programming is fast and easy to learn. Menuet's responsive GUI is easy to handle with assembly language. And Menuet64 is capable of running Menuet32 applications.
Here are some key features of "MenuetOS":
· Pre-emptive multitasking with 1000hz scheduler, multithreading, multiprocessor, ring-3 protection
· Responsive GUI with resolutions up to 1280x1024, 16 million colours
· Free-form, transparent and skinnable application windows, drag'n drop
· SMP multiprocessor support with currently up to 8 cpus
· IDE: Editor/Assembler for applications
· USB 2.0 Hi-speed storage, webcam, printer class and TV/Radio support
· USB 1.1 Keyboard and mouse support
· TCP/IP stack with Loopback & Ethernet drivers
· Email/ftp/http/chess clients and ftp/mp3/http servers
· Hard real-time data fetch
· Fits on a single floppy, boots also from CD and USB drives
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· More bootup configuration options, GUI improvements.