aptosid is an open source desktop-oriented distribution and Live CD based on the unstable branch of Debian GNU/Linux.
This project was originally created by a group of developers who split from the KANOTIX project and launched their own distribution.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Debian sid, as of 2013-05-05.
· kernel 3.9 (smp, hard preemption).
· xserver-xorg-core 1.12.4.
· enable KMS support for ATi, Intel, drm-cirrus, Matrox and nVidia based graphics chipsets.
· DRI (3d) support for ATi Radeon chipsets (refer to non-free sources and Drivers).
· KDE 4.8.4 (en + de).
· Iceweasel 10.0.12ESR
· new, SVG based, art theme created by the aptosid art team.
· offline manual for en + de directly on the disc, online manuals for more languages online at http://manual.aptosid.com/ and available via apt; a big thank you goes to the documentation and translation teams!
· Please note that the offline manual is only available on the running live CD or the installed system.
· many changes for the manual.
· ar5523 support for 54/ "108" MBit/s Atheros USB wlan cards (AR5523).
· ath5k support for 54/ "108" MBit/s Atheros wlan cards (AR2425, AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5213 and AR5414).
· ath6kl support for Atheros AR6003 based USB and SDIO wlan cards.
· ath9k support for 802.11n Atheros wlan cards (AR5418+AR5133, AR5416+AR5133, AR5416+AR2133, AR9160, AR9280, AR9281 and AR9285).
· ath9k_htc support for 802.11n Atheros USB wlan cards (AR7010/ AR9271).
· carl9170 support for 802.11n Atheros USB wlan cards (AR9170 "otus"), now supporting HT/ aggregation and AP mode.
· b43/ b43legacy support for older Broadcom wlan cards.
OpenFWWF 5.2 opensource firmware for the following Broadcom AirForce 802.11b/g wireless cards:
· BCM4311 revision 1
· support for LP-PHY (BCM4312) and SSB based 802.11n (BCM4321, BCM4322) devices, non-free firmware images required.
· brcmsmac for modern Broadcom 802.11n PCIe/ AXI wlan cards (BCM4313, BCM43224, BCM43225).
· brcmfmac for modern Broadcom 802.11n USB wlan cards (BCM43235, BCM43236, BCM43238).
· iwlagn support for IPW 3945/ 4965 and the IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n part of the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 1000/ 2000/ 5xxxAGN/ 6000/ 6050/ 7xxx family.
· rt2x00 support for RaLink rt2400, rt2500, rt2570, rt61 and rt73 802.11b/g cards.
· support for RaLink rt27x0, rt28x0, rt30x0, rt33xx, rt35xx, rt53xx 802.11b/g/n PCI/ USB cards through rt2x00.
· support for RealTek RTL8180L/ RTL8185 PCI/ cardbus and RTL8187/ RTL8187B USB wlan cards.
· support for RealTek RTL8188CE/ RTL8192CE, RTL8188CU/ RTL8192CU, RTL8188DE/ RTL8192DE, RTL8188SE/ RTL8192SE (PCIe) and RTL8188CU/ RTL8192CU (USB), RTL8723AE (PCI) 802.11n wlan cards.
· kvm (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) for kde-full; kvm depends on hardware virtualisation support (AMD pacifica virtualisation extensions "svm" or Intel IVT (vanderpool) virtualisation extensions "vmx")
· access point support for many mac80211 based wlan cards through nl80211 and hostapd (optional).
· client support for network booting over PXE/ NBD.
· support QXL graphics emulation (SPICE).
· add loopback.cfg generation, to provide generic live media support for grub2.
· provide a safety fallback for generic efi binary and bootloader detection to the live media.