An opens-ource Linux operating system optimized for slower computers and old hardware
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Neptune 4.2:
- This service release comes with a brand new kernel 3.16.3 (+bfq I/O Scheduler) which includes many driver updates and improvements in power saving functions. Our improved installer now offers you to install on uefi capable PCs and brings in a new option which allows you to disable sudo for your user during installation.
- Several security, bugfixes and updates were merged into this release. The bash "shellshock" vulnerability is fixed, Chromium to version 37, LibreOffice to version 4.3.2, Kdenlive to version 0.9.10 and Wireshark to 1.12.
- For the first time Neptune also ships the btrfs snapshotting tool snapper which can create hourly snapshots of the filesystem. It allows you to view changes in files and to restore files, folders or the whole filesystem.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
ZevenOS Neptune is an open source distribution of Linux based on the world’s most popular operating system, Ubuntu, and built around the modern and productive KDE Plasma desktop environment, which uses a very attractive theme and layout.
Available for download as a dual-arch Live DVDThe user can download this Ubuntu-based operating system via Softpedia or directly from the project’s official website as a dual-arch Live DVD ISO image of approximately 2GB in size, designed from the ground up to support both 64-bit and 32-bit computers, which must be writte on either a DVD disc or a USB stick.
Boot optionsFrom the boot screen, the user can start the live environment with default boot options or in safe mode, with support for the English or German languages, as well as to access a help menu. The Live DVD also includes supports for many other languages.
The best KDE Plasma desktop experienceIf you want to experience the true power of the KDE Plasma desktop environment, you should try the ZevenOS Neptune distribution, as it comes with a highly customized KDE session that comprises of a single panel located on the bottom edge of the screen, from where users can launch apps or interact with running programs.
Includes state-of-the-art applicationsThe operating system includes state-of-the-art applications, such as the Ardour professional audio editing suite, Encode media converting software, Recffmpeg screencasting tool, Dolphin superior file manager, LibreOffice office suite, Chromium web browser, Apper software center, Icedove email and news client, VLC Media Player, and many more.
Bottom lineAll in all, ZevenOS Neptune is built on top of a recent Linux kernel and includes a large number of popular open-source applications. The distro uses the KDE Plasma desktop environment with a customized notification center and a superb theme on top of the latest upstream Ubuntu version.
Neptune was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on March 25th, 2015