WHAX is the natural evolution of WHoppix - a live cd, standalone penetratin testing toolkit.
While Whoppix was based on Knoppix, the new WHAX is now based on SLAX: "WHAX is no longer based on Knoppix, but on SLAX, a Slackware live CD. One of the main reasons I decided to try this is due to the wonderful world of modularity which SLAX uses.
For us, this modularity means that we can easily customize our version of WHAX, and include whichever modules we like. All the tools have been compiled to 'WHAX Modules' which can be easily added or removed, depending on our needs."
Modularity also makes software updates much easier – for example, if a new version of (such as Metasploit Framework) has been released, we can now download the updated module, and update our livecd / usb stick instantly.
This new setup allows for the greatest flexibility, as modules are easy to create (even from windows) – which means that if we want to add that tool (or wallpaper) we always wanted, but never appeared in Whoppix, we can now do it ourselves!
A wonderful new software interface makes this whole process a breeze.
What's New in This Release:
· Prism54 firmware *finally* put in place.
· Wireless scripts functioning, including kismet autoconfiguration (www.cr0.net:8040).
· Beta fluxbox menu has been introduced.
· Downgraded to aircrack 2.2b6
· Updated to firefox 1.05 due to the recent vulnerabilities.
· Added RSS feeds defaults.
· Added Firefox Plugins, flash, devel.
· Snort startup scripts fixed.