Voltalinux is a GNU/Linux distro based on Slackware GNU/linux and the pkgsrc package system from NetBSD. The two pieces of software put together give you great power.
Great availability of software for a strong and solid distribution as Linux Slackware. The pkgsrc is already available to the linux user.
Now this project want to offer a prebuilt distribution with those feature readily available. Any user can enjoy the clean design of slackware with the availability of about 5400 ports (real ports) ready to be installed.
In minutes you can have running software such as postfix or courier, imap, qmail and so on.
The distro is a core based on about 60 packages from Slackware 10.2 and the pkgsrc 2005 Q3 (packaged for slack) system from NetBSD.
The advantage is that mantaining only few quantity of pieces it is possible to have a complete operating system (thanks to the existing work of many other, of course !!!)
The distribution is mainly intended for server use but you can do what you want.
Here are some key features of "Voltalinux":
· is Slackware 100% compatible, whatever is done for slack work also on Voltalinux !!!
· you don't have to compile anything to have a working system (in about half an hour you have a base system)
· you have many prebuilt kernels
· more than 5400 ports ready to be used.
· 486 processor or newer
· 32 MB of ram
· about 400 MB of free disk space (for the base system, more if you will build your packages)