Univention Corporate Server 4.0
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Univention Corporate Server 4.0:
- The design and the usability of the graphical administration interface Univention Management Console were completely revamped. By using a responsive design, Univention Management Console provides improved compatibility for tablets and smartphones.
- In addition to local virtualization servers, the UCS Virtual Machine Manger (UVMM) can now also manage OpenStack or Amazon EC2 environments. This allows the setup of hybrid cloud scenarios out-of-the-box with UCS.
- UCS 4.0 is based on Debian GNU/Linux 7.7 (Wheezy). More than 16,000 source packages were updated. Selected core components, e.g. OpenLDAP (2.4.40), Samba (4.2rc2) or the Linux kernel (3.16) are more recent in UCS compared to Debian GNU/Linux 7.7.
- The installation of UCS has been simplified significantly. The base installation is now done using the Debian installer and it is concluded with a web-based configuration of the system. The same, web-based system is also used for the manual configuration of cloud images or other appliances.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- Free for non-commercial use
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Univention GmbH
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
No live environment is available
Being a server oriented distribution, there is no live environment available. However, the installation process should take about 30 minutes from the moment you insert the USB or DVD media into your computer. The boot menu of the Univention Corporate Server operating system is powered by the GRUB bootloader software and provides three options, allowing users to basically install the distribution, as well as to boot the operating system that is currently installed on the machine’s disk drive.
Installing Univention Corporate Server
During the installation, you will be able to select the system’s role, which varies from Master domain controller, Backup domain controller and Slave domain controller, to base system and member server. Once installed, the entire configuration of the server is done via an easy-to-use and intuitive web interface, which can be accessed from any platform. In addition, the App Center tool allows users to easily install and manage applications and components in the Univention Corporate Server Linux operating system.
An enterprise-ready Linux distribution
Univention Corporate Server installs an enterprise-ready Linux distribution as a virtual foundation for a secure, cost-efficient and stable IT infrastructure. It features a wide range of open source server software, single sign-on (SSO) functionality for both users and cloud services. It is available for free, supporting both 64-bit and 32-bit architectures, and we strongly believe that you should use it as an alternative to Microsoft’s expensive server solutions.
Univention Corporate Server was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on November 20th, 2014